Archer - Five Wonders: Cowboys CB roles

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's amazing how many people can't.

How anyone can have watched this guy play over the last 3 seasons and say he's anything more than a bad player is beyond me.
Bad player? No. He wasn't that in college. I prefer to see him as a severe underachiever. That's the frustrating part.

Jiggyfly

Banned
When you take what at best can be considered average and spin it as a positive, what is the point other than being apologetic?

McClain had a "good game". Sterling Moore had a "good game". And if Claiborne play was even close to that level, he would be getting the kudos that you apparently feel he deserves. If he played at the level those two did, we wouldn't be discussing this right now.

I guess it is just too tough for you to use some proper perspective when you are talking about a player who has never justified his draft status, what it required to get him or even his first round contract.
See that's the issue I don't look at it as being at best average and I am not grading him on a curve.

I agree with that his overall production has been a huge disappointment but against Tenn I thought he had a good game I don't see how that's being apologetic.

I am also not grading every play against his draft position which seems to be the main issue here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Claiborne and Carpenter aren't similar in any way. Carpenter was a complete waste of space on the football field. Claiborne isn't even in that vicinity.
Uh, actually Claiborne has been very close to that vicinity. He has been benchworthy bad at times.

That being said I do think he played well, at least better than he has been, last Sunday.

Though Moore was better.

He is dangerously close to "only being here to ride out his contract" unless he strings together more games like Sunday.

And even that would be a colossal bust for a 6th overall pick. Right now he's the fourth best CB on the team.

Of course you are one of the people who will turn around and tell me that we're ok on the DL with superstuds Crawford and Selvie starting at end for the next half decade too.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bad player? No. He wasn't that in college. I prefer to see him as a severe underachiever. That's the frustrating part.
I know he wasn't that in college, but how many times did you come away feeling like he had a truly good game as a pro? Not a decent game, not a solid game, but a game where the guy actually played very well.

I honestly can't recall one. Most of his better performances fall into the decent category with one or two solid outings.

Never once did his play have an impact in any game he played in.

The guy is useless and I look forward to when he's not around so fans can't keep pretending like he's been a contributor when he hasn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know he wasn't that in college, but how many times did you come away feeling like he had a truly good game as a pro? Not a decent game, not a solid game, but a game where the guy actually played very well.

I honestly can't recall one. Most of his better performances fall into the decent category with one or two solid outings.

Never once did his play have an impact in any game he played in.

The guy is useless and I look forward to when he's not around so fans can't keep pretending like he's been a contributor when he hasn't.
I hope he signs a Spears type contract and continues to play in Dallas so people can bitch and moan for another 5 years about how he hasn't lived up to the hype of his draft status.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hope he signs a Spears type contract and continues to play in Dallas so people can bitch and moan for another 5 years about how he hasn't lived up to the hype of his draft status.
It's not even about his draft status at this point....at least not for me.

The guy just hasn't been a good football player since he became a pro, that rings true whether he's a 1st rounder or a 5th rounder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not even about his draft status at this point....at least not for me.
It does for pretty much everyone else. That's why you can't have a discussion about the guys game without it being brought up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That being said I do think he played well, at least better than he has been, last Sunday.

He is dangerously close to "only being here to ride out his contract" unless he strings together more games like Sunday.

And even that would be a colossal bust for a 6th overall pick. Right now he's the fourth best CB on the team.

Of course you are one of the people who will turn around and tell me that we're ok on the DL with superstuds Crawford and Selvie starting at end for the next half decade too.
First of all I'm very proud for you for admitting that first sentence. That's all we are really talking about here is the performance the man had in one game. Which was a pretty good game. Of course his career has been a disappointment up to this point. I just don't see the point in lamenting that past. I'm more curious as to what he can do for me this season.

As far as the random statement about the DL, not sure what that has to do with anything. I've never said I wanted Selvie and Crawford as my starting DE's for the next decade. All I've ever said is that Selvie can be good enough as a starter if you have a stud opposite him. You'd still be looking to upgrade the spot but it's also not a colossal weakness like you see with our current safety play. From what I've seen of Crawford he could be a guy you can use as a starter at LE but you still would want an elite RE opposite him. You certainly wouldn't want two guys like that as your starting DEs for the next decade.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Thankfully fans don't decide anything regarding Claiborne. They hate him too much to be even close to objective.

Top Bottom