MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wash sent a text to Bob Nightengale saying "I'll be back! Need some time!".

WTH?
Love ya, Wash, but no.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Wonder if they are all headed to Houston to join up with Nolan as a big FU to Jon Daniels?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Grant: Why Ron Washington's exit helps Rangers rescue their future

By EVAN GRANT Staff Writer
Published: 05 September 2014 09:14 PM
Updated: 05 September 2014 11:11 PM

ARLINGTON – There is no crying in baseball. Nor, apparently, is there grieving. The minute a manager leaves, no matter the circumstances or the relationship, you start seeking a replacement before he’s packed his bags.

In mostly awkward words, the Rangers bade farewell Friday afternoon to Ron Washington, the winningest manager in franchise history, the only man to lead them to a playoff series win and the only man to take them to the World Series. And immediately commenced a search for his successor. Bench coach Tim Bogar was named interim manager and will guide the club through the rest of what is likely to be a 100-loss season.

After nearly eight seasons, the Rangers apparently were unable to talk him out of resigning to attend to what Washington called an “off-the-field personal matter.” Club officials said Washington’s decision had nothing to do with substance abuse (for which he offered to resign in 2009), his contract (which was set to expire after 2015) or his team’s performance.

Via a later text, Washington indicated the physical health of him and his wife Gerry, who are set to celebrate their 42nd wedding anniversary in 10 days, was not an issue.

The Rangers declined to discuss if Washington was offered or considered an official leave of absence.
And that was that.

“I, um, understand a little bit more about what’s going on,” Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said after a long pause during an awkward news conference. “I understand why he needs to do what he’s doing. And I respect that. When you work with someone for eight years and develop a pretty close bond, [there are] a lot of emotions, really. But at the end of the day, you care about him as a person first — and respect that he needs to address some things.”

It came out sounding more corporate than compassionate. Baseball, though, is a corporate world now. Corporations require moving quickly from one era to another.

And with that sendoff, the Washington Era, which included a 664-611 (.521) record and a pair of AL championships, was over. With so much work to do to return to contention, the Rangers can hardly spare a moment to ponder the past. A long, hard look into the future commenced. When it finally comes into focus, the Rangers may realize that in the coldest most bloodless sense of evaluation, Washington’s decision helped them rescue that future.

Start with the facts.

Washington was signed only through 2015 and wasn’t likely to get an extension after the club’s record declined for the third straight year. He would have entered the offseason as a lame-duck manager. When it comes to attracting free agents, lame ducks are rarely an asset.

If he stayed and the Rangers got off to a poor start in 2015, the club would then be forced to consider a more “involuntary” change in his status. The pool of available and attractive managerial candidates shrinks greatly in-season and often leads to the merry-go-round of mediocrity.

With Washington stepping away, the Rangers have the final three weeks of the season to look at Bogar, who was considered a top young managerial prospect two years ago. They will get an idea of how Bogar works in partnership with Daniels. Lest anybody think otherwise, a GM-manager partnership is essential in the game’s current landscape. If things don’t function that way, well, you end up with the ugliness in Houston between GM Jeff Luhnow and Bo Porter.

Speaking of Houston, Washington’s resignation also allows the Rangers to potentially hold on to Bogar or Mike Maddux, who should also be a managerial candidate. They are likely to be in the mix for any jobs that open this fall. The Rangers may not name either one of them manager before the end of the season, but they do have first shot.

When the entire future is at stake, getting the first chance at the future is worth something.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
MINNEAPOLIS -- Kennys Vargas has undoubtedly made a huge offensive impact for the Twins since getting called up from Double-A New Britain on July 31.

The switch-hitter has successfully made the jump from Double-A, hitting .303/.321/.493 with seven homers, eight doubles and 33 RBIs in 36 games. Vargas joined some impressive company with his hot start, as the only Major Leaguers to reach 40 hits and 30 RBIs quicker than he did are Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio and Albert Pujols, who did it in 32 games.
-------------
:towel
This is the kind of guy the Twins have desperately needed for years. Somebody that can drive in runs and is a HR threat every time he steps in the box, regardless of what park they're playing in. Enough with the slap hitters. The future is looking bright with the young guys already up, along with the prospects that should make it to Minneapolis in the next year or so. Hopefully, this isn't just some dicktease.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
MINNEAPOLIS -- Kennys Vargas has undoubtedly made a huge offensive impact for the Twins since getting called up from Double-A New Britain on July 31.

The switch-hitter has successfully made the jump from Double-A, hitting .303/.321/.493 with seven homers, eight doubles and 33 RBIs in 36 games. Vargas joined some impressive company with his hot start, as the only Major Leaguers to reach 40 hits and 30 RBIs quicker than he did are Hall of Famer Joe DiMaggio and Albert Pujols, who did it in 32 games.
-------------
:towel
This is the kind of guy the Twins have desperately needed for years. Somebody that can drive in runs and is a HR threat every time he steps in the box, regardless of what park they're playing in. Enough with the slap hitters. The future is looking bright with the young guys already up, along with the prospects that should make it to Minneapolis in the next year or so. Hopefully, this isn't just some dicktease.
I was listening to a scouting guy talk about Vargas earlier this summer. He has seen him play in person a number of times & thinks he's the real deal. Said he's a really nice kid, too. Not that that matters a ton compared to his baseball talent, but it beats being an a-hole.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I know he was fighting cancer and just came back but Curt Schilling is one god awful color guy on Sunday Night Baseball. Bad.

Carp

DCC 4Life
deGrom Kd the first 8 batters he faced tonight. ROY

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is kind of cool when a guy you got to see quite a few times in the minors...in this case, Wilmer Flores...starts producing on the big league level. His bat has been coming around and he has played an adequate SS. 2 HRs and 6 RBIs last night. I got to see Flores, Tejada, Montero, d'Arnaud, Centeno, Satin, Campbell, den Dekker, and Nieuwenhuis...and now they are all with the big club and contributing.

CSB

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I want the top pick in the draft but I think I want to knock the A's out of the playoffs even more. Suck it A's.

Carp

DCC 4Life
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]...I am thinking either Russell or Castro for Syndergaard. If we do get Castro you may have to sweeten the deal because of the money owed. Thoughts?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
[MENTION=38]E_D_Guapo[/MENTION]...I am thinking either Russell or Castro for Syndergaard. If we do get Castro you may have to sweeten the deal because of the money owed. Thoughts?
I think Castro is more likely but that's pure speculation, of course. I just don't think the current administration has ever been in love with him. He has a lot going for him though. He's still young, he's been durable (I say that as he's on the DL, but overall he hasn't missed many games at all), and he has established a proven track record of production. I'd think that combination of things would really appeal to the Mets and I think he would immediately make them better. Russell looks like he's going to be a hell of a player, but we don't know that yet because he hasn't done anything in the Show yet. Still, if it were up to me I'd move Castro and keep Russell.

I would agree that the Mets might ask for something more, either in terms of a lesser prospect, or possibly cash compensation. Although, Theo has mentioned how they are somewhat reluctant to put too much faith in young pitchers because of the rash of TJ surgeries that have been happening over the past several years so they might not be willing to put much else in the deal.

It would be a risky move of sorts for the Cubs but it would be a no-brainer to take that risk, IMO. If they are able to sign Lester this offseason (sounding like a very real possibility, but we'll see), add a guy like Syndergaard, and Arrieta continues to be what he has been this season (you see what he did last night?) they are going to start making noise in a hurry. They have a multitude of options to fill out the back end of the rotation: Hendricks, Doubront, Straily, Wood, Turner, et. al.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Castro is more likely but that's pure speculation, of course. I just don't think the current administration has ever been in love with him. He has a lot going for him though. He's still young, he's been durable (I say that as he's on the DL, but overall he hasn't missed many games at all), and he has established a proven track record of production. I'd think that combination of things would really appeal to the Mets and I think he would immediately make them better. Russell looks like he's going to be a hell of a player, but we don't know that yet because he hasn't done anything in the Show yet. Still, if it were up to me I'd move Castro and keep Russell.

I would agree that the Mets might ask for something more, either in terms of a lesser prospect, or possibly cash compensation. Although, Theo has mentioned how they are somewhat reluctant to put too much faith in young pitchers because of the rash of TJ surgeries that have been happening over the past several years so they might not be willing to put much else in the deal.

It would be a risky move of sorts for the Cubs but it would be a no-brainer to take that risk, IMO. If they are able to sign Lester this offseason (sounding like a very real possibility, but we'll see), add a guy like Syndergaard, and Arrieta continues to be what he has been this season (you see what he did last night?) they are going to start making noise in a hurry. They have a multitude of options to fill out the back end of the rotation: Hendricks, Doubront, Straily, Wood, Turner, et. al.
It should be interesting...particularly seeing how the Mets view Flores. He has been average at SS in terms of fielding, not hurting the team, but as he has gotten more comfortable there he really has been picking it up offensively. I think they may end up looking for a corner OFer, but we always seem to be linked in terms of trades.

Top Bottom