MacMahon: Give GM credit - McClain a great addition

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Give GM credit: McClain a great addition
September, 14, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- It's time to give the most harshly criticized general manager in the NFL a little bit of credit.

Rolando McClain, who had an interception in the Cowboys' win over the Titans, is beginning to show his potential on a defense in need of playmakers.

The addition of middle linebacker Rolando McClain looks like one of the smartest personnel moves that Jerry Jones has made in a long time.

After two games, the low-risk trade with the Baltimore Ravens appears to be a tremendous bargain for the Dallas Cowboys. In exchange for swapping a sixth-round pick for Baltimore's seventh-rounder, the Cowboys acquired a replacement for injured star Sean Lee who has Pro Bowl type of talent.

McClain, who was on the road to being one of the biggest wastes of talent in league history, is finally fulfilling his potential after two retirements. Not coincidentally, a Dallas defense that ranked dead last a year ago has been surprisingly solid through two games.

"He just wants to come in and be a part of the team, but I'm going to tell you something: He's a natural-born football player," Jones said after watching McClain lead the Cowboys with seven tackles, a sack and a spectacular interception in Sunday's 26-10 win over the Tennessee Titans. "He's mean. He's interested in a good way on the football field, and he's really making a difference out there on our defense."

The decision to add McClain, who doesn't exactly fit head coach Jason Garrett's right-kind-of-guy mold, was without question an act of desperation. It also made a lot of sense, considering the loss of Lee and lack of playmakers on the Dallas defense.

It looks smarter every time McClain, who has quickly and quietly established himself as a defensive leader, steps on the field.

"Man, he brought that passion, that excitement," receiver Dez Bryant said. "He wants to execute. He wants to dominate. That's exactly what we need. As long as he keeps bringing that, them guys are going to fall in behind him. You're going to continue to keep seeing that kind of performance from that defense."

Added Garrett: "He plays with a demeanor and spirit that you want. It's great to have that from a middle linebacker because he gets contagious really quickly."

McClain was one of the biggest bright spots in the Cowboys' Week 1 loss to the San Francisco 49ers, leading Dallas with 12 tackles and making big hits from sideline to sideline. How many 6-4, 260-pound linebackers can chase down speedy San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick trying to turn the corner on the option?

McClain's importance to the Cowboys increased this week with linebacker Justin Durant sidelined by a strained groin. McClain is part of the nickel package now, basically playing every snap the defense is on the field.

And McClain made plays all over the field again, highlighted by a momentum-halting pick that would have been an amazing play by a cornerback, much less a run-stuffing middle linebacker. After defensive tackle Henry Melton deflected the pass at the line of scrimmage, McClain changed directions, dove, kept the ball from hitting the ground with his right hand and made the juggling catch that was so good it required a replay review for the referees to believe it.

"He's a big cat," said safety Barry Church, who also had an interception. "He's agile on his feet. He made a heck of a play."

Jones made a heck of a move to recruit McClain out of retirement, rolling the dice that a guy who had been arrested three times and retired twice since the Oakland Raiders made him the eighth overall pick of the 2010 draft could revive his career in Dallas. And help revive a defense that was historically horrible last season and expected by many to get worse.

"I wouldn't say it was a huge leap for him," McClain said. "Tape don't lie. I was in the league three years as a starter, the whole time I was there besides being suspended. I played some good football at times. Tape don't lie.

"I'm thrilled he did give me a call. There weren't many teams that I would have left the couch for, and this is one of them, and I'm glad that he did."

So is NFL's least popular GM, who got this one right.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:jerry

Stars

DCC 4Life
So far I've been completely wrong on their decision to sign McClain. I didn't think it was a good idea to even give him a tryout. I thought it was a waste of time, but he's really played well.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's early yet. He could easily go to hell in a handbasket. Don't give Jerry a reason to gloat over the occasional lucky strike in the glory hole.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The last thing Jerry needs is a pat on the back.

Everyone knew the guy could play, but apparently only Jerry could convince him he wanted to play.

I'd like to see McClain perform well all year before voting Jerry in as GM of the Year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's early yet. He could easily go to hell in a handbasket.
This is the problem. I never doubted he'd have moments where his talent flashes, but can the team rely on him as a pro, game after game for 16 games and then season after season?

I don't think they can. He could be a pro-bowler and a key part of you team one day, then just quit, leaving you scrambling to find anyone who can play at all.

For example, if McClain plays well all year, Dallas has no idea how high a priority to place on the MLB position. Say they pass on the next Bowman in the 3rd in order to get another cornerback because they think they have McClain. Say they draft the next Bowman, have great middle-linebacking only to fall short at some other position because they thought they couldn't count on McClain.

Everything tells me this guy doesn't have the heart to keep playing tough when the bruises and scrapes start mounting and he's "only" collecting the vet minimum. Then if he gets paid, I really see his motivation dropping. Basically he needs financial incentives combined with serious competition.

Basically it's Sean Lee all over again, but substitute heart for body.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
lol. Wait until we win a few games and we rely on Rolando McClain to be the heart of our defense and he kidnaps a child or something. This kid is a Grade A Psychopath, anything we get out of him should be considered luck and we shouldn't rely heavily on a guy who retired twice already at the age of 25

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is the problem. I never doubted he'd have moments where his talent flashes, but can the team rely on him as a pro, game after game for 16 games and then season after season?

I don't think they can. He could be a pro-bowler and a key part of you team one day, then just quit, leaving you scrambling to find anyone who can play at all.

For example, if McClain plays well all year, Dallas has no idea how high a priority to place on the MLB position. Say they pass on the next Bowman in the 3rd in order to get another cornerback because they think they have McClain. Say they draft the next Bowman, have great middle-linebacking only to fall short at some other position because they thought they couldn't count on McClain.

Everything tells me this guy doesn't have the heart to keep playing tough when the bruises and scrapes start mounting and he's "only" collecting the vet minimum. Then if he gets paid, I really see his motivation dropping. Basically he needs financial incentives combined with serious competition.

This hits on pretty much all my fears with McClain. How can we ever count on a guy that has quit twice? How do we give a guy an extension when you have to be worried about his mental makeup constantly? I think we have to consider him a rental for this year no matter how well he plays and move on next season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last thing Jerry needs is a pat on the back.

Everyone knew the guy could play, but apparently only Jerry could convince him he wanted to play.

I'd like to see McClain perform well all year before voting Jerry in as GM of the Year.
If McClain doesn't do another thing for the Cowboys ever again it was still a good move. He has already provided more contributions then most late round picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This hits on pretty much all my fears with McClain. How can we ever count on a guy that has quit twice? How do we give a guy an extension when you have to be worried about his mental makeup constantly? I think we have to consider him a rental for this year no matter how well he plays and move on next season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If McClain doesn't do another thing for the Cowboys ever again it was still a good move. He has already provided more contributions then most late round picks.
Only because the team is desperate for defensive talent.

Each week, they have to look at his being on the roster completely as a bonus and not factor his presence into any new talent acquisition. They need to be churning linebackers like nobody's business in anticipation of his locker being cleared out one day.

Calling this spot "set" would be the typical Jerry-stance.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yes, props to Jerry for hitting on a gamble because he damn sure doesn't know how to build his team through the middle and late rounds of the draft.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Have you actually read why he stopped playing because I think you are not understanding his motivations for walking away it was not about his desire to play but his anger issues at the time.

I am not saying to completely trust the guy, I would still be drafting a viable replacement but money is not a big factor with him, he invested his money well when drafted, he is not desperate for a paycheck.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Have you actually read why he stopped playing because I think you are not understanding his motivations for walking away it was not about his desire to play but his anger issues at the time.

I am not saying to completely trust the guy, I would still be drafting a viable replacement but money is not a big factor with him, he invested his money well when drafted, he is not desperate for a paycheck.
He retired supposedly having lost all desire to play football in April. That all changed in under two months? During his pre-season locker room interview he was very terse with the media and had issues just speaking his mind, like he was holding back. Clearly it's not all right with McClain, counseling or no.

That's not saying at age 24 that he won't mature, but I think the whole point is the Cowboys can't bank on it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He retired supposedly having lost all desire to play football in April. That all changed in under two months? During his pre-season locker room interview he was very terse with the media and had issues just speaking his mind, like he was holding back. Clearly it's not all right with McClain, counseling or no.

That's not saying at age 24 that he won't mature, but I think the whole point is the Cowboys can't bank on it.
He never said he lost all desire he said he thought he was going to self destruct.

What they probably don't know or understand is the remarkable decision that put McClain back here in Tuscaloosa. Just five months earlier, under contract with the Super Bowl champion Ravens, McClain sensed that he was about to self-destruct like Jovan Belcher or Aaron Hernandez or any of the NFL's many cautionary tales. So he just walked away from football.
You really should read the whole article it gives you some insight on the guys thought process.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9882568/nfl-former-oakland-raiders-alabama-linebacker-rolando-mcclain-self-imposed-exile

I totally agree that you can't be all in on the guy, because he has some mental issues but if you read the article and listen to his interviews now, especially this one, you can see he is in a different place mentally.

[video]http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/McClain_I_Didnt_Deserve_To_Play_Football_/5a186744-2d73-4119-88bf-56eb6ad976c6[/video]

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Dude has a screw loose. He is the most physical LB we've had in a long time. I remember people were saying he looked small in camp this year, but it's because he's a little taller than most LB's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude has a screw loose. He is the most physical LB we've had in a long time. I remember people were saying he looked small in camp this year, but it's because he's a little taller than most LB's.
Yeah he is a legitimate 6'4" at MLBer and he runs really well. If I were the Cowboys I'd get him whatever help he needs mentally. Sometimes when you get a player the help he needs he can mature and turn things around. People forget that once upon a time Dez Bryant was a player that probably could have gone either direction. The guy was a massive flake who would show up late or do something silly like forget his cleats. Not saying we are talking about the same issues but we are talking about very young guys who are learning how to deal with the NFL and the pressures of the game at the NFL level.

Top Bottom