Draft Chatter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would spooge myself.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roughly 280 points to move from 30 up to 18. Atlanta's second (60) would be about 300.

1 (30) - Kawann Short - DT - Purdue
2 (47) - Terron Armstead - OT - Arkansas/Pine Bluff
2 (60) - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan State
3 (80) - Brian Schwenke - OC/OG - California
4 (114) - Sean Porter - LB - Texas A&M
5 (151) - Duke Williams - S- Nevada
6 (185) - Connor Vernon - WR - Duke
Horrid.

You obviously have an interest on picking players that are good other than picking projects and injured guys.

All kidding aside, if both guards are gone, I would take Atlanta's deal and run away laughing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roughly 280 points to move from 30 up to 18. Atlanta's second (60) would be about 300.

1 (30) - Kawann Short - DT - Purdue
2 (47) - Terron Armstead - OT - Arkansas/Pine Bluff
2 (60) - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan State
3 (80) - Brian Schwenke - OC/OG - California
4 (114) - Sean Porter - LB - Texas A&M
5 (151) - Duke Williams - S- Nevada
6 (185) - Connor Vernon - WR - Duke
Love the trade down and the drafting of Short. After that I don't like a lot of the picks. Armstead is a dork who ran a really fast forty. I can name multiple O-lineman I would prefer at that point. Le'Veon Bell isn't a bad player but I want nothing to do with him in the second round. He is a big bruiser who will take a beating in the NFL. I'm guessing his career isn't exactly a long one. Besides I would prefer a DL, OL, S, or WR in the second round with that pick.

Schwenke is a nice pick there, and then I'm not a fan at all of the rest.

junk

Not So New Member
:lol

Always interesting to see the different opinions.

On to other topics, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take a WR in 2 somewhere. Terrence Williams or DeAndre Hopkins. I'm not sure I would, but their pre-draft visits are kind of telling.

D

Deuce

I would shit myself if this team takes Armstead. That's Robert Brewster territory for me.

As an aside, props to that writer for giving Theo Goins some love.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think DeAndre Hopkins will be out of our range, Markus Wheaton is a guy you hear connected to us quite a bit, same with Terrence Williams.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
On to other topics, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas take a WR in 2 somewhere. Terrence Williams or DeAndre Hopkins. I'm not sure I would, but their pre-draft visits are kind of telling.
I would draft Terrence Williams with my eye on cutting Austin in the next year or two. Austin has a lower cap figure in 2013 but then in 2014 he jumps to 8.2 mil against the cap, 9.6, and then 12.5. With Austin's injury history and production I don't think I could justify him counting anything close to 8.2 mil or more against our cap.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Im hoping for Josh Boyce. Mainly because he is a local kid but would also be fine with Terrence Williams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Love the trade down and the drafting of Short. After that I don't like a lot of the picks. Armstead is a dork who ran a really fast forty. I can name multiple O-lineman I would prefer at that point. Le'Veon Bell isn't a bad player but I want nothing to do with him in the second round. He is a big bruiser who will take a beating in the NFL. I'm guessing his career isn't exactly a long one. Besides I would prefer a DL, OL, S, or WR in the second round with that pick.

Schwenke is a nice pick there, and then I'm not a fan at all of the rest.
I like Sean Porter in the 4th.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Sean Porter in the 4th.
Why?

In all fairness I don't really want a LBer in this draft and definitely not as high as the fourth round. I could live with one in the fourth as long as we actually hit on a fourth round pick. God we have sucked lately at drafting outside of the first couple of rounds. What about Sean Porter gets you all jazzed up?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why?

In all fairness I don't really want a LBer in this draft and definitely not as high as the fourth round. I could live with one in the fourth as long as we actually hit on a fourth round pick. God we have sucked lately at drafting outside of the first couple of rounds. What about Sean Porter gets you all jazzed up?
He's a good athlete, he's good in coverage, and good against the run. He's an ideal 4-3 strongside LB, if he develops as projected.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Always interesting to see the different opinions.

Actually, if you look at the guys we have actually visit...we do pretty well.

Now the execution of the draft, that is a different story.

This must be another of those instances where Jerry "looks in the mirror" and vows to do better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why?

You don't think a strongside LBer is a need for this team?

I may not agree that Porter is that guy, but to say you don't want an OLB in this draft is ignoring the basic concepts of the defense we are going to run.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't think a strongside LBer isn't a need for this team?

I may not agree that Porter is that guy, but to say you don't want an OLB in this draft is ignoring the basic concepts of the defense we are going to run.
Justin Durant is 27 years old coming off a 100 tackle season. You're right I'm not that concerned about a strongside LBer in this defense. With young guys in Albright and Wilber already battling for the backup SLBer spot, yeah I'm not concerned about the position at all.

As far as Porter is specifically concern he is under 230lbs. Not saying we can't have a strong side LBer that is small but I wouldn't say he is an ideal fit for that spot. I will say this about Porter, statistically he has a pretty great 2011 season. He didn't play nearly as well in 2012 though when he was forced to play in more of a traditional 4-3 LBer role.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will throw out a sleeper LBer I like if we have to draft one. A.J. Klein of Iowa State is a player that interests me a bit. He was ultra productive, a fiery player and a true leader at Iowa State. Beyond that he is a guy who can play inside and outside LBer and he ran a 4.66 forty at 250 lbs. I could see him being a productive player in the NFL.

junk

Not So New Member
I will throw out a sleeper LBer I like if we have to draft one. A.J. Klein of Iowa State is a player that interests me a bit. He was ultra productive, a fiery player and a true leader at Iowa State. Beyond that he is a guy who can play inside and outside LBer and he ran a 4.66 forty at 250 lbs. I could see him being a productive player in the NFL.
Yeah, I like him too as a depth guy.

I like Porter more as a weakside guy than a strong side LB. However, in this Tampa 2 scheme, I think you can get by with someone smaller in that role. Porter brings a pretty diverse skill set.

Also, thanks for reminding me our MLB depth is shitty too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Klein is one of my favorite sleeper types as well.

As for Porter, I like him in the mid rounds if he's there, he's athletic and brings some pass-rush ability. Might not be a guy you want to rely on as a 3 down player but I think you can definitely find a role for him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the trashed Indianapolis hotel room at February's Combine belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

Yahoo Sports reported Monday that the trashed hotel room was littered with "urine and feces scattered about the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage strewn about the room." Hopkins and Harrison have denied their involvement, and one GM told FOX Sports' Alex Marvez that Hopkins had left the room "several hours" before it was destroyed. While the incident was embarrassing to Combine organizers, we're not sure it'll affect Hopkins or Harrison's draft stock. Hopkins is a potential first-round pick. Harrison is a likely mid-rounder with 4.46 speed at a rocked-up 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport "hears" the Vikings want to trade up in the draft and could be eyeing West Virginia WR Tavon Austin or Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson.

The Vikings have two first-round picks -- No. 23 and 25 overall. Rapoport thinks it's doubtful Minnesota would trade both, and he'd "bet" the Vikings keep the 25th pick. The Chargers are mentioned as a team wanting to move back from the No. 11 slot if one of the top three offensive tackles doesn't fall to them, so there could be a match. Austin is looking like a sure top-15 pick next week.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
San Diego is the main team I'm worried about taking one of the OG's so if they trade back with a team who wants to take a WR that'd be glorious.

Top Bottom