Draft Chatter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Milliner, Mathieu scouting reports

Posted April 11, 2013 @ 1:48 p.m. ET
By Nolan Nawrocki

The following scouting reports were taken from Pro Football Weekly's 2013 Draft Preview book, which is now on sale. You can order it today through the PFW Store, or by calling 1-800-FOOTBALL (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT).

CB Dee Milliner, #28 (Junior)
Alabama
PFW Grade: 6.40
Ht: 5-117/8 | Wt: 201 | Sp: 4.38 | Arm: 32 | Hand: 8¾

Notes: Last name is pronounced “MILL-ner” and his given name is DeMarcus. The Alabama prep was a Parade All-American, a four-star prospect and ranked as one of top two cornerbacks in the country by the scouting services. Also used as a running back. Made an immediate impact as a true freshman in ’10 and earned Freshman All-America honors after posting 55 tackles, seven pass breakups and one interception with four tackles for loss and one forced fumble in 13 games (11 starts at right cornerback). Was used as the third cornerback in ’11 and made six starts in the nickel and dime packages, logging 27-9-3 with one tackle for loss in 13 games. Returned an interception 35 yards for a game-clinching score against Auburn. Was a finalist for both the Nagurski (defensive player of the year) and the Thorpe (top defensive back) Awards and a unanimous first-team All-America selection in ’12 after recording 54-20-2 with four tackles for loss, 11⁄2 sacks, one forced fumble and one blocked field goal (Mississippi State) in 13 games (12 starts). As a precaution, he did not play against Western Kentucky because of a slight groin strain. Scheduled to undergo surgery March 12th for a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

Positives: Excellent size and long arms. Outstanding combination of short-area explosion and top-end speed. Terrific balance, body control and coordination. Fluid and agile. Supple hips to transition and redirect smoothly. Mirrors receivers and seldom loses phase. Natural ballhawk (outstanding production). Supports the run aggressively. Physical tackler. Effective blitzer. Experience versus high-caliber receivers. Very confident and competitive. Smart, disciplined and well-coached. Is scheme-versatile and offers special-teams ability (gunner). Potential to extend career by moving to safety when he ages.

Negatives: Fairly small hands. Can learn to be more physical at the line. Lacks ideal twitch to play inside. Gets caught peeking in the backfield. At times struggles to locate the ball with his back to the throw. Could stand to use his hands better to disengage on the outside. Occasionally leaves his feet to tackle low and misses some. Let the ball beat him up repeatedly in Combine drills and has average career interception production (six picks).

Summary: Well-built, rangy, instinctive, productive cornerback who has nearly everything you want in the position. Does not warrant grades on par with some of the historically elite cover men, but is a Day One starter with Pro Bowl potential. Pedigree and well-rounded skill set make for a comfortable lottery selection.
NFL projection: Top-10 pick.

CB-RS Tyrann Mathieu, #7
ex-LSU
PFW Grade: 5.55
Ht: 5-8¾| Wt: 186 | Sp: 4.51 | Arm: 311/8 | Hand: 93/8

Notes: His name is pronounced “Ty-run Matthew.” The New Orleans native was one of the top prep cornerbacks in the country. Saw action in all 13 games (one start at left cornerback against ULM) as a true freshman in 2010 and made an immediate impact, racking up 57 tackles, seven pass breakups and two interceptions with 81⁄2 tackles for loss, six sacks and an SEC-leading five forced fumbles. Spent the season as a backup to Cardinals 2011 first-rounder Patrick Peterson. Piled up the awards in ’11 — was a unanimous first-team All-American, the Bednarik Award winner (nation’s top defensive player), SEC Defensive Player of the Year and a finalist for the Heisman Trophy — after recording 76-9-2 with 71⁄2 tackles for loss, 11⁄2 sacks and broke his own school record with six forced fumbles in 13 starts (12 at LCB and the Arkansas game at free safety). Also returned 27 punts for 421 yards (15.6-yard average) and two touchdowns — a 92-yard return vs. Arkansas and 62 yards against Georgia — plus recovered five fumbles, which led the nation, and returned two of them for touchdowns (three yards against Oregon, 23 yards vs. Kentucky). Violated the team’s drug policy and was suspended for the Auburn game. Was dismissed from LSU in August ’12 after repeated violations of school’s substance-abuse policy and was arrested in October for simple possession of marijuana. Was named a team captain at the end of 2011.

Positives: Innate ball skills — has a magnetic quality and exceptional playmaking ability. Terrific anticipation, timing and hand-eye coordination. Confidence of a cat burglar. Slot expertise. Excellent balance and body control. Transitions smoothly. Keen zone reactions. Plays bigger than his size — throws his weight around. Attacks ballcarriers like a terrier and tries to rip the ball out. Dangerous blitzer. Game-breaking punt returner — shows vision, wiggle and finishing ability. Worked as a gunner. Highly intense, aggressive and competitive. Thrives under the bright lights. Made an immediate impact as a true freshman at an elite program.

Negatives: High-maintenance character risk — habitual synthetic marijuana abuse forced dismissal. Maturity, trustworthiness and accountability need to be investigated thoroughly. Is unnervingly aloof and tone-deaf and has an overinflated sense of his ability. Lacks ideal height, length and top-end deep speed (relegates outside utility to the boundary). Average leaper. Has man-coverage limitations. Unrefined technique. Prone to getting beat because of riverboat gambler mentality. Marginal weight-room strength — bench pressed 225 pounds just four times at the Combine. Durability is a concern.

Summary: A high-risk, high-reward wild card, Mathieu is a talented, cocksure slot defender and instinctive ballhawk capable of infusing a secondary with swagger and playmaking ability. Also has impact special-teams ability, making him a second-round football talent, though he has been rejected for character by some teams and must land in a veteran, policing locker room to remain on the straight and narrow and maximize his potential. Brings a Cortland Finnegan-type edge, and could appeal to teams such as the Rams, Cowboys or Lions.
NFL projection: Second- to third-round pick.

These scouting reports were taken from Pro Football Weekly's 2013 Draft Preview book, which is now on sale. You can order it today through the PFW Store, or by calling 1-800-FOOTBALL (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT).

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Shutdown Corner Podcast with Greg Cosell: Evaluating the defensive ends
By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner – Wed, Apr 10, 2013 6:15 PM EDT

You didn't think that we were finished doing podcasts with our buddy Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup just because the NFL season is over, did you? Well, if you did, fear not -- we're back in the saddle (and Greg's now writing for Shutdown Corner as well) to do a new series of podcasts in which we evaluate the draft prospects by position. We've already discussed the quarterbacks, running backs, receivers and tight ends, offensive linemen, and defensive tackles in this year's class, and how it's time to talk about a very intriguing group of defensive ends. Greg has taken his decades of experience, and oodles of coach's tape, and transferred both to the college side just in time for the pre-draft process.

A few words of wisdom from Mr. Cosell:

On Florida State's Bjoern Werner: "I struggled with him, and I don't mean that in a negative way -- I mean that I struggled with my evaluation of him. I watched a lot of games, and there were times I thought he was a very good player. There were times when I saw quickness and explosion off the ball. He does have natural athleticism. There were times when I thought he used his hands effectively to create leverage. When all was said and done, I thought a couple of things. He's not a natural "bend-the-edge" pass rusher, where he's going to get low with that great flexibility. I don't think he's that guy. He did show the ability to get his inside shoulder around the right tackle and close with speed."

On Florida State's Tank Carradine: "I think Carradine is a better athlete than Werner, even though he may not be as tall as Werner, when you watch the body type and the movement, Carradine is a longer, more flexible-looking athlete. His size, his length, his flexibility, and his overall athleticism were all positives to me. I think he also has to get a little stronger, and that's something you have to get in an NFL weightroom. The thing I really liked about Carradine was how active he was."

On BYU's Ezekiel Ansah: "Players like this are both exciting and dangerous. He's got a lot of natural athleticism you can't teach. He's clearly showed explosive movement and traits. BYU lined him up all over their defense -- you'd see him lined up as a pure nose tackle sometimes. One thing I did notice from his tape I watched was that he would almost always rush from the left side, which made me wonder, is he more comfortable from that side? Does he become a top NFL pass-rusher? If you're going to draft him in the top five or the top 10, you're basically saying that down the road, he's going to be a dominant pass-rusher."

On UCLA's Datone Jones: "Watching him, I had the sense that he has the potential to become an even better pass-rusher in the NFL, because he has the skill set to do that. I thought he had really quick and active hands, and he used them well. His short-area quickness was very good -- he was both powerful and explosive. He needs to improve taking on double teams, we'll see how that goes. At UCLA, he was a 3-4 defensive end -- didn't move around a ton. But the more I watched him, the more I believed he could play any defensive line position.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am hoping that the Steelers don't match the offer for Sanders and that pushes a WR pick ahead of us at 18.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Report: Tyrann Mathieu failed at least 10 drug tests at LSUCornerback trying to convince clubs he's clean now Brad Biggs
This April 12, 2013, 11:42 AM EST 47

Tyrann Mathieu is in Arizona today on a 10-team tour of pre-draft meetings as he tries to convince as many clubs as possible that he’s worthy of an investment in the draft.

The former LSU cornerback must make teams believe he’s put a lengthy history with marijuana behind him and Jarrett Bell of USA Today reports that the cornerback told one team he failed at least 10 drug tests in school.

“I quit counting at 10,” Mathieu told one team, according to an assistant coach that spoke to Bell on condition of anonymity. “I really don't know.”

Mathieu is wearing a suit and tie in his meetings with teams and he is adamant he has been clean since October since he was picked up on marijuana charges. The coach told Bell if Mathieu failed as many as 10 drug tests that LSU didn’t do enough to help the player.

NFL clubs must determine if they have the structure in place to work with Mathieu, knowing that an investment in him will be a risk. How big of a risk is the question.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I am hoping that the Steelers don't match the offer for Sanders and that pushes a WR pick ahead of us at 18.
Agreed although I don't think the Steelers are much of a threat to take either of the OG's as they will most likely go WR, pass-rusher or perhaps Vaccaro.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Agreed although I don't think the Steelers are much of a threat to take either of the OG's as they will most likely go WR, pass-rusher or perhaps Vaccaro.
Yeah...I don't think they will take an OG, but maybe they pass on Jarvis Jones. Also, hoping another team tries to jump ahead of them to get a WR.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wonder what the beef is with Tyler Wilson. To me, he's no worse than any of the other dorks in this QB class, yet you never hear him mentioned in the same breath as Geno Smith or Barkley.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would be able to live with Bjoern Werner at 18 too if he's there. I think he could be a long term strong side DE.

The real question is, if you take Werner at 18, can you move Spencer at the draft for a 2nd?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would be able to live with Bjoern Werner at 18 too if he's there. I think he could be a long term strong side DE.

The real question is, if you take Werner at 18, can you move Spencer at the draft for a 2nd?
The F kind of question is this?

Have you seen how this organization operates?

100% chance they just let Spencer play out the contract and let him walk for nothing in that case.

The Mike Jenkins situation was absolutely perfectly set up for a trade and what do we do?

Dick and shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eckel: Defensive linemen are strength of this year's NFL draft

Mark Eckel/The Times By Mark Eckel/The Times
on April 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated April 14, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Whether you’re a team that uses a traditional 4-3 defense and needs some big defensive tackles to clog the middle and collapse the pocket or a team with a 3-4 defense in need of a pure nose tackle or run-stuffing ends, this year’s draft can be of help.

With a dearth of talent at both the quarterback and running back positions, just a smattering of quality wide receivers and what one scout called “the worst group of linebackers in years,’’ the defensive line position, particularly inside, stands out in this Class of 2013.

“It’s really a good group,’’ a personnel man for a NFC team said. “There’s talent from top to bottom. I think you’ll see quite a few go in the first round and some more go in the second round. Heck, you’ll get some good ones in the later rounds, too.’’

“What you have in this draft is a lot of versatile guys,’’ another scout said. “Sometimes you have guys who can play in a 4-3, but are out of a place in a 3-4, or the other way around, guys who are strictly 3-4 nose tackles. Most of the players in this group can do either, and that makes them very valuable.’’

Florida’s Sharrif Floyd, Utah’s Star Lotulelei, and Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson should all be gone in the first half of the first round. Ohio State’s Jon Hankins, Alabama’s Jesse Williams and North Carolina’s Sylvester Williams could follow them in the second half of round one.

The interesting part is to see who goes where.

While there is agreement on the talent of the position in this class, there is no real consensus as to who ranks one, two, or three.

With that in mind, here’s a list of the top defensive tackles, with a comment from a scout or personnel man on each player.

Sharrif Floyd, Florida, 6-3, 297, 4.92 – “I like him. I like him a lot. I don’t know about all that talk of him being a top five pick, he might be, but that might be a bit of a stretch. He’s good at the point, he controls the gap. He plays really hard, hardly ever takes a play off like some guys. In a 4-3, I think he needs to be a better pass rusher, but he’s perfect as a 3-4 end.

Star Lotulelei, Utah, 6-3, 311, 5.0 – “He’s not a top five pick, not at all. He’s a good player, but he’s not that good. Somebody will take him higher than he should be taken, because he’s gotten a lot of hype. Don’t get me wrong he’s a great, big run stuffer, but that’s all he is.’’

Jon Hankins, Ohio State, 6-3, 320, 5.31 – “This guy can play. He’s one of the most underrated players in this draft. You’re not hearing his name the way you do others, but you’ll hear it on draft night. To me, he’s the best overall tackle, in that he’s good against the run and he can get to the quarterback.’’

Sheldon Richardson, Missouri, 6-3, 294, 5.02 – “He’s very talented, very athletic, maybe a little undersized for the way he likes to play. But he’s a good player. He has some pass rush skills and he’s good on the edge. He’s actually better there than he is in the middle. He’ll probably do better with a 3-4 team, but he can go to a 4-3 team, too.’’

Jesse Williams, Alabama, 6-3, 323, 5.35 – “The big Australian, and he is big and he’s strong as hell. He can play. He works very hard and he’s only going to get better and better. You give him to a good coaching staff and they’ll have a lot to work with, this guy could be really good.’’

Sylvester Williams, North Carolina, 6-3, 313, 5.03 – “I’m not crazy about him. A lot of people have him in the first round, a top pick, I don’t see it. I think he’s just a guy.’’

John Jenkins, Georgia, 6-3, 339, 5.45 – “Big, big man, a real load in the middle. I think he’s perfect as a 3-4 nose tackle, that’s what he is, that’s what he played in college. I’ll be surprised if he goes to a 4-3 team.’’

WHAT THE LOCAL TEAMS MIGHT DO
Eagles: Switching to a 3-4, they need both a young NT and help at DE.
Giants: The fact they signed two players cut by the Eagles tell you then need help at the position.
Jets: It’s actually one of the few positions where they don’t need a lot of help.

dallen

Senior Tech
I wonder what the beef is with Tyler Wilson. To me, he's no worse than any of the other dorks in this QB class, yet you never hear him mentioned in the same breath as Geno Smith or Barkley.

Clearly an anti-Arkansas bias in the media.

/homer mode disengaged

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree with that. That whole school took it up the butt from Petrino...bringing back John L. Smith lowered everyone's draft status.

D

Deuce

Interesting comment since we always discuss about accumulating more picks.

@seniorbowl: Trading down is good, unless a GREAT player is passed. CLE has done it with Ngata '06, C Matthews '09 and Julio Jones '11.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
if we trade down farther than 5 picks in the first round im gonna flip a shit

Carp

DCC 4Life
Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT

Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant. They could also covet one of the draft’s top pass rushers after releasing veteran defensive end John Abraham. There’s also talk that they might like to acquire Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and give him a year to learn from Tony Gonzalez (who is expected to retire after the 2013 season) before taking over for Gonzalez in 2014 as the team’s No. 1 tight end.

Whatever the Falcons’ plans are, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff showed everyone when he traded up for Jones that he’s not afraid to make a bold move if there’s a player he loves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rob Rang: Diamonds in the Rough
With the draft now only weeks away, here are a host of players likely to be second or third day picks that I feel will ultimately prove to be steals. I feature one player per position and list five others to keep in mind, along with their heights, weights and time in the 40-yard dash. Also, listed among each position is at least one player not invited to the Combine. (Denoted with an asterisk*)

Quarterbacks

Matt Scott, Arizona, 6-2, 213, 4.63:

A year ago I listed Russell Wilson in this space and it is precisely because of the success that he, Robert Griffin III and 2011 second-round pick Colin Kapernick had a season ago that I anticipate Scott contending for a spot within the first 100 picks of the 2013 draft. Like these three young NFL stars, Scott is a dual-threat at the quarterback position and one who demonstrated touch, velocity and accuracy while throwing five times as many touchdowns as interceptions last season. With only one full season as the starter after backing up Nick Foles, Scott is admittedly a work in progress but one I feel has the upside to warrant developing.

Five Other Quarterbacks to Consider:

1. Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech, 6-2, 212, 4.71
2. Ryan Griffin, Tulane, 6-4, 216, 4.90*
3. Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbilt, 6-2, 202, 4.79*
4. Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah, 6-5, 229, 4.93
5. Jeff Tuel, Washington State, 6-3, 218, 4.63

Running Backs

Dennis Johnson, Arkansas, 5-7, 196, 4.49*

I can appreciate the fact that former Arkansas running back Knile Davis is the more impressive athlete in comparison to Johnson, but anyone who watched much of the Razorbacks over their respective careers will likely recognize the value the short (not small) running back/receiver/returner extraordinaire held with the team. Johnson left the SEC having led the conference with 5,330 all-purpose yards (2,036 rushing, 510 receiving, 2,784 as a kick-returner) in 50 games. In one of the more shocking snubs in recent combine history, he wasn't invited to Indianapolis but did prove his athleticism during an impressive Pro Day workout.

Five Other Running Backs to Consider:

1. Ray Holley, Louisiana Tech, 5-8, 194, 4.57*
2. Jawan Jamison, Rutgers, 5-8, 203, 4.62
3. Miguel Maysonet, Stony Brook, 5-9, 209, 4.64
4. Robbie Rouse, Fresno State, 5-7, 190, 4.75
5. Kerywn Williams, Utah State, 5-8, 195, 4.44

Tight Ends

Ryan Otten, San Jose State, 6-5, 230, 4.73

If not for a frightening staph infection which at one point threatened his life, Otten might be considered a potential top 100 prospect. He flashed this kind of ability while hauling down passes at San Jose State and earning an invitation to the Senior Bowl. While lacking the bulk and strength scouts are looking for as a traditional in-line blocker, Otten is a slippery route-runner with soft, reliable hands and enough speed to threaten the seam.

Five Other Tight Ends to Consider

1. Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky, 6-5, 254, 4.86
2. Ryan Griffin, Connecticut, 6-6, 261, 4.90*
3. Nick Kasa, Colorado, 6-6, 269, 4.71
4. Lucas Reed, New Mexico, 6-6, 247, 4.77
5. Levine Toilolo, Stanford, 6-8, 260, 4.79

Wide Receivers

Marquess Wilson, Washington State, 6-3, 194, 4.45

Teams are certainly going to want to do their homework on Wilson as his explosive accusations against Washington State head coach Mike Leach and his staff don't exactly demonstrate the kind of mental toughness scouts are hoping for in a highly drafted prospect. Make no mistake, however, Wilson is a legitimate talent and quietly enjoyed a very strong workout at the combine, alleviating any concerns about whether he was simply a by-product of an aggressive offense while with the Cougars. Wilson, NFLDraftScout.com, has learned has gone on multiple pre-draft visits, including with Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Tennessee.

Five Other Wide Receivers to Consider

1. Chad Bumphis, Mississippi State, 5-10, 196, 4.56*
2. Brice Butler, San Diego State, 6-3, 214, 4.39*
3. Greg Herd, Eastern Washington, 6-3, 202, 4.56*
4. Uzoma Nwachukwu, Texas A&M, 5-11, 198, 4.50*
5. Ace Sanders, South Carolina, 5-7, 173, 4.53

Offensive Line

Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 6-5, 306, 4.65

The dazzling straight-line speed Armstead demonstrated at the combine caught the public by surprise but not scouts who saw him dominate competition at the East-West Shrine Game and impress as a late injury replacement at the Senior Bowl, as well. Unlike many small school prospects who simply latch on with whatever program will give them an opportunity, Armstead was recruited by a number of big schools, opting to play with Golden Lions because they were the only team willing to let him compete in track, as well as football. Highly intelligent, a remarkable athlete and having demonstrated the ability to raise his level of play against elite competition, Armstead could earn a shockingly high draft selection.

Five Other Offensive Linemen to Consider

1. Braden Brown, BYU, 6-6, 310, 5.20
2. Theo Goins, Central Florida, 6-5, 313, 5.36*
3. Luke Marquardt, Azusa-Pacific, 6-9, 315, 5.34
4. Vinston Painter, Virginia Tech, 6-4, 306, 4.90
5. Matt Summers-Gavin, California, 6-4, 310, 5.49*

Defensive Line

Nicholas Williams, Samford, 6-5, 309, 4.84

Florida's Sharrif Floyd was generally credited with enjoying the most impressive all-around workout among defensive tackles tested at the combine but Williams proved to be quicker than Floyd and most others in the shuttle drill (4.65-seconds) and led his position in the 40-yard dash (4.84) and the vertical jump (33"). The reason why most don't know his name is because of the fact that Williams was lightly recruited out of high school after dedicating his impressive athleticism to basketball. He's still quite rough around the edges but it was the eight sacks he registered in 2012 more than any numbers during workouts which could force a team to gamble on him in the middle rounds.

Five Other Defensive Linemen to Consider

1. David Bass, Missouri Western, 6-4, 262, 4.74
2. Armonty Bryant, East Central Oklahoma, 6-4, 263, 4.78
3. Montori Hughes, Tennessee-Martin, 6-4, 329, 5.13
4. Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky, 6-5, 250, 4.75 (est.)
5. Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern, 6-1, 335, 5.32

Linebacker

Ty Powell, Harding, 6-2, 249, 4.60

Having played defensive end, linebacker and safety for Harding, scouts knew Powell was versatile and he certainly appeared to be quite athletic. He demonstrated just how athletic at the combine, when he ranked among the most explosive in his position group in the vertical jump (37") and three-cone drill (6.98-seconds). The athleticism shows up on tape, as Harding has an explosive burst off the snap, as well as impressive change of direction. These traits helped him rack up 12 tackles for loss, including 8.5 sacks and block a school-record four kicks in 2012. Powell could hear his name called as early as the late third round. No Harding player has been selected in the draft since the Denver Broncos selected defensive back Bruce Baldwin in the fifth round 30 years ago.

Five Other Linebackers to Consider:

1. Michael Clay, Oregon, 6-0, 230, 4.74*
2. Jayson Dimanche, Southern Illinois, 6-1, 231, 4.58
3. Brandon Hepburn, Florida A&M, 6-3, 240, 4.68
4. Travis Long, Washington State, 6-4, 243, 4.76*
5. Bruce Taylor, Virginia Tech, 6-1, 237, 5.0

Cornerback

Steve Williams, California, 5-09, 181, 4.34

While Williams lacks the size scouts prefer, the light-footed, loose-hipped cornerback certainly possesses the athleticism for coverage as well as the toughness necessary to handle run support. After playing in all 37 games over his career, including starting the past 25 consecutively, Williams surprised many with the decision to leave after his junior season and many analysts have yet to catch on to his impressive all-around game. Blame his relatively plain name or the fact that he starred for a Cal squad that struggled through a 3-9 season. Regardless, don't be surprised when Williams' play in the NFL proves he was among the most unheralded defensive backs in the build-up to the 2013 draft.

Five Other Cornerbacks to Consider:

1. Robert Alford, Southeast Louisiana, 5-10, 188, 4.34
2. Mike Edwards, Hawaii, 5-9, 189, 4.50
3. Rashaan Melvin, Northern Illinois, 6-2, 192, 4.44*
4. Sheldon Price, UCLA, 6-2, 190, 4.47*
5. B.W. Webb, William & Mary, 5-10, 184, 4.46

Safety

Ray Polk, Colorado, 6-1, 219, 4.42*

Demonstrating a combination of physicality and athleticism to go along with his prototypical size, Polk was a surprising combine snub. He certainly made up for it during his Pro Day, registering times in the low 4.4s in the 40-yard dash, a 39" vertical jump, 10-6" broad jump and 19 repetitions of 225 pounds, each which would have ranked among the elite among his position at the combine. Polk's impressive workout isn't the only reason why it was surprising that he wasn't invited to Indianapolis. After a career in which he showed blatant disregard for his own well-being (as well as the health of others), teams may to formulate a consensus medical grade on the big-hitter. While perhaps a bit stiff in coverage, Polk certainly has the explosive closing speed to intrigue as a late-round in-the-box safety and special teams demon.

Five Other Safeties to Consider:

1. John Boyett, Oregon, 5-10, 204, 4.65 (est.)
2. Josh Evans, Florida, 6-1, 207, 4.54
3. Cooper Taylor, Richmond, 6-5, 228, 4.49*
4. Duke Williams, Nevada, 5-11, 203, 4.48
5. J.J. Wilcox, Georgia Southern, 6-0, 213, 4.51​

junk

Not So New Member
Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT

Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant. They could also covet one of the draft’s top pass rushers after releasing veteran defensive end John Abraham. There’s also talk that they might like to acquire Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and give him a year to learn from Tony Gonzalez (who is expected to retire after the 2013 season) before taking over for Gonzalez in 2014 as the team’s No. 1 tight end.

Whatever the Falcons’ plans are, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff showed everyone when he traded up for Jones that he’s not afraid to make a bold move if there’s a player he loves.
Roughly 280 points to move from 30 up to 18. Atlanta's second (60) would be about 300.

1 (30) - Kawann Short - DT - Purdue
2 (47) - Terron Armstead - OT - Arkansas/Pine Bluff
2 (60) - Le'Veon Bell - RB - Michigan State
3 (80) - Brian Schwenke - OC/OG - California
4 (114) - Sean Porter - LB - Texas A&M
5 (151) - Duke Williams - S- Nevada
6 (185) - Connor Vernon - WR - Duke

Top Bottom