boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Keenan Allen clocks 4.71 in 40; Mayock doesn't 'care'
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: April 9, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.
Updated: April 9, 2013 at 01:49 p.m.

Where Keenan Allen lands in the draft will boil down to how teams view what he brings to the table -- and what he doesn't.

The Cal wide receiver was clocked by NFL Network's Mike Mayock at 4.71 and 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash at Allen's pro day Tuesday, confirming that blazing speed is not a quality he offers.

He's been hampered by a posterior cruciate ligament injury throughout the draft process, but doctors now describe Allen's left knee as fully healthy after he re-injured it in January. Trainers told Mayock that Allen only has 75 percent to 80 percent of his explosion, but said "that's what comes last" in the healing process. Allen recently told The Sacramento Bee that he's only about 85 percent back.

"Let me preface the whole 40-yard conversation with this," Mayock told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft."

"Three months ago, I said -- if you watch this kid on tape -- if you like him, he's Anquan Boldin. If you don't like him, he's speed-deficient. So I don't really care what he runs in the 40. On tape, to me, he's a 4.55 guy all day long."

Mayock called Allen's 40 results "not a good time," but scouts and coaches told him they expect Allen to be faster down the road. What he gives you, according to Mayock, is "a big, powerful, wide receiver" who might go anywhere from No. 25 to No. 45 in the 2013 NFL Draft.

"I believe in his toughness and his hands," Mayock said, confirming that he would, indeed, "bang the table" for Allen (and in Mayock's universe, that's a compliment of the highest order).

Jiggyfly

Banned
D. Orlando Ledbetter ‏@AJCFalcons 2h
Texas A&M LB Sean Porter is drawing attention from both 4-3 and 3-4 teams. He has had private workouts w Chiefs, #Falcons, Cowboys & Pats.
Interesting guy he was a double digit sack guy in the 3/4 and translated pretty well in the 4-3 I do not see him making it out of the 2nd round.

Not ready to spend a 2nd on another LB but we would be stacked if we got him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Draft Rumblings - Risers & Fallers Around The NFL
National Football PostBy Russ Lande | National Football Post – 9 hours ago...

Player Whose Draft Stock is on The Rise:

1. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, Senior (6024, 311 and 5.23): Now that Star has reportedly received medical clearance and teams are in the middle on final draft meetings, Star’s on field play has him back in the mix to be a top five overall selection. Coaches and scouts alike have been impressed with his hard to find skill set. Few 320+ pound defensive tackles have Star’s explosive initial quickness, the playing strength to dominate OL and the speed to chase down ball carriers along the LOS in pursuit. Unlike many defensive tackles that fit a few potential positions, Star’s size, strength, competitiveness and athleticism make him a real fit at DE and NT in a 34 scheme and DT in any 43 defense. Now that the focus is back on Star’s production on film and physical skill set, we have been told he is likely to be the first defensive tackle selected.

2. Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois, Junior (6005, 307 and 5.14): In a year with numerous high end defensive tackles, Spence has slid through the draft process with virtually no attention from the media, but NFL teams really like what they have seen. A highly competitive player with great intangibles, Spence impressed many with a strong workout at his pro day, which convinced teams he has the athleticism to carry over his production to the NFL. Although he lacks ideal height, Spence’s initial quickness, ability to play with leverage, playing strength and top level athleticism have teams confident he can be a starting DT in a 43 scheme or DE in a 34 scheme. Do not be surprised if Spence gets drafted higher than many of the other more publicized DT’s and ends up being selected in the second round.

3. Don Unamba, CB, Southern Arkansas, Senior (6001, 201 and 4.55): There has been a ton of focus on some lesser known cornerbacks like DJ Hayden and Sanders Commings moving way up draft boards the last month. However, Unamba has not received any publicity despite teams being impressed by his skill set. With good size and strength, Unamba’s quick feet, good hips and deceptive speed have teams intrigued by his ability to be productive as both a press corner and in off alignments/coverages. When NFL teams start breaking down small school players they want to see a player who dominated the lower level of competition and Unamba definitely did that with three interceptions, 17 pass break-ups and two blocked kicks during the 2012 season. Although I know that Unamba will not be an early draft pick, do not be shocked if he is selected in the fourth or fifth round.

Player Whose Draft Stock is Falling:

1. Kawann Short, DT, Purdue, Senior (6027, 299 and 5.30 E): A productive college player, Short was viewed by many as a sure first round pick during the 2012 season, but we are hearing that NFL teams do not think as highly of him. Despite possessing elite athleticism for a 300+ pounder and good playing strength, NFL teams are concerned with Short’s inconsistent motor/intensity. Too often Short seems to stop fighting to get to the ball and ends up “chicken fighting” with the OL too long and does not make the play. Although he had a strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl to prove his talent, teams were turned off when he struggled through his pro day. With many NFL teams there pretty much just to see him, he tired fast during the workout and did not seem to be in the best shape, which just adds fuel to the fire that he lacks the motivation to be an elite player. While Short’s talent is no doubt top ten caliber, we have heard that he is much more likely to be a second or high third round pick than a first rounder.
----------------

Unamba is a player we have been showing interest in. :tehj

Jiggyfly

Banned
The jury is also still deliberating about Florida State DE Bjoern Werner. A top 5 prospect heading into the combine, Werner’s status appears to have been in something of a free fall after he tested poorly in Indianapolis, especially given that he lacks ideal size and length for a prototype NFL DE. Bottom line is that Werner could be a real wild card on April 25th who could go literally go anywhere from just outside the top 10 to deep into the opening round.
I have not seen anything special Werner on any of the videos I have seen. he seems like a effort guy, I have seen people wanting him in Dallas but he is not big enough to be a SDE and I don't see him ever being a consistent double digit sack guy.

I am interested to see how high he gets drafted, in the right system I can see him being productive like a Vrabel.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have not seen anything special Werner on any of the videos I have seen. he seems like a effort guy, I have seen people wanting him in Dallas but he is not big enough to be a SDE and I don't see him ever being a consistent double digit sack guy.

I am interested to see how high he gets drafted, in the right system I can see him being productive like a Vrabel.
Most left ends are not double digit sack guys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Do you think he has the size to be a left end or is dynamic enough to make up for it?
Uh...he is a left end. That's what he played at FSU. Carradine was the right end.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Watson would not be my pick, but I would love those extra picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
An extra third and fourth would be nice, but moving all the way down to 31 is way too far in my opinion. If I'm moving down half the first round I better be getting a second or future first somewhere in there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree...I think you'd have to get their 2nd...getting KCs would be ideal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watson is not a damn right tackle. And that trade would be lopsided in SF's favor. If you believe the trade charts, it should cost SF their second.

But then again, we got ripped off with Claiborne last year, so who knows.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Watson is not a damn right tackle. And that trade would be lopsided in SF's favor. If you believe the trade charts, it should cost SF their second.

But then again, we got ripped off with Claiborne last year, so who knows.
If you believe the trade charts we actually got the better of the Rams deal last year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
NFP's Over-Rated & Under-Rated prospectsRuss Lande gives insight into two players whose will likely be drafted higher/lower than they should be. Russ Lande

April 11, 2013 Over-Rated Prospect: Margus Hunt

Round I expect Hunt to be Drafted: First
Round I believe Hunt should be Drafted: Third

Margus Hunt, DE, SMU, Senior (6081, 277 and 4.60): For a player who has been hyped for the last two seasons at SMU, he did not disappoint when he blew up the Combine with a ridiculous testing display. However the issue is that Hunt is not the football player that you would expect based on his athleticism.

SMU DE Margus Hunt makes tackle.
As a pass rusher, Hunt relies almost exclusively on his explosiveness and speed as he tries to beat the OT around the corner at the expense of using his length and strength to his advantage. He flashes the ability to explode off the ball and out race the OT around the corner and is most productive rushing the passer when he has space to move to beat OT with quickness. His tendency to get upright and lose leverage when rushing the passer would be a bigger issue if he tried to bull/power rush often, but he does not consistently try to bull rush the OT. When he uses good technique and maintains proper pad level he is a dominant bull rusher, but the consistency is just not there. For a player with limited football experience, it is impressive the variety of pass rush moves in his arsenal, but he needs to be more aggressive rushing the passer to be a consistently productive NFL pass rusher. Not surprisingly, many of the issues that limit Hunt’s production rushing the passer also hurt him against the run.

When he maintains good pad level, uses hands aggressively and identifies the play correctly he can be a dominant run defender who jolts OL upright, anchors, tosses blocker aside and make tackle on runs to his side of the field. In addition, when teams leave him unblocked on the backside, he has rare speed for a huge defensive end chasing down the ball carrier in pursuit. However, despite showing the ability to be an elite run defender he is not consistent enough. He does not differentiate between run / pass quickly enough, which leads to him getting upright and losing leverage while he looks for the ball. When he does this, he can be tied up and sealed out of the play easily and is a non-factor on runs at him. He will need to improve his play identification and maintain better pad level / leverage to be a consistent run defender in the NFL.

While I like Hunt’s potential and believe he should become a good starting defensive end in the NFL, I feel he is not close to being a dominant player whose production warrants being selected in the first round, which is where I believe he will be selected. I think his on-field production warrants more of a third round selection and if he is chosen in the first round the expectations will be hard for him to play up too early in his career.

Under-Rated Prospect: Sylvester Williams

Round I expect Williams to be Drafted: Second
Round I believe Williams should be Drafted: First (Top fifteen overall)

Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina, Senior (6025, 313 and 5.02): With all the talk of Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei being the top two defensive tackles in the draft, Williams has flown under the radar despite being an elite talent. After choosing to stay in school for his senior season, Williams was a dominating player throughout the 2012 season because he played with good leverage and technique much more consistently.

For a 310+ pound DT, Williams’s explosiveness off the ball to both get on top of OL before they can get set and to shoot the gap to blow up play behind the LOS is remarkable. While most DT’s excel rushing the passer either as a bull rusher or with pass rush moves, Williams does both. When he maintains good pad level, his explosiveness off the ball and aggressive hand use enables him to jolt and drive the pass blocker backwards “as if he were on skates,” can disengage and pressures/sacks QB. However, he also shows the ability to defeat pass blocker with a variety of pass rush moves; especially a very quick “slap and right arm-over move.” Although few interior DL are impact pass rushers, even fewer are productive as pass rushers and run defenders.

Williams’ explosive first step helps him to get his hands on OL before they can get set, which makes him able to control the blocker consistently. In addition, he is able to jolt run blocker upright, anchors, sheds and makes tackle on inside runs. Unlike most big DT’s, Williams makes it look easy getting gap penetration to blow up running plays behind the LOS. Not only productive on runs between the OT’s, Williams is quick getting inside the “reach block,” keeps blocker shielded and has the speed down the LOS to make the tackle.

Even though many are sure that Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei will be the first two DT’s drafted, we think Williams should be in consideration to be the first one selected. And we are not alone as more than one NFL team has told us that they have Star and Williams pretty much tied atop the DT rankings on their respective team’s draft boards, so do not be shocked when he ends up as a top fifteen selection despite being discussed primarily as a second or third round selection.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Buffalo Bills ‏@buffalobills 3h
Pre-draft visitors at One #Bills Drive today:

QB Tyler Bray
TE Vance McDonald
WR Cordarrelle Patterson
S Phillip Thomas
Retweeted by NFL Network

Top Bottom