Week 8 Gameday Chatter | Redskins vs. Cowboys| 10/26/2014

GShock

DCC 4Life
You are right that was a big play, I just remember all of the missed tackles in OT.

Like I said I thought they did a lot of good things but the big plays and missed tackles killed them.
Should they have done more against future all-pro McCoy and whatever scrubs were on their offensive line? Probably.

But I don't know that I pin last night on the defense. Not under those circumstances.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This defense is limited, and Washington is just the kind of team to expose their limitations. Physical running game and speed WRs stretching deep.

Also expecting this group to continue a high-energy approach over a 16-game marathon is unrealistic. Durant is another sign of wear. Players like Brent and Lawrence and fuck it Okoye too can't join fast enough.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Should they have done more against future all-pro McCoy and whatever scrubs were on their offensive line? Probably.

But I don't know that I pin last night on the defense. Not under those circumstances.
IMO, that loss can lay solely at Linehan's feet. He just got completely out-coached.

p1_

DCC 4Life
You are right that was a big play, I just remember all of the missed tackles in OT.

Like I said I thought they did a lot of good things but the big plays and missed tackles killed them.
That and WAAAYYY too many converted 3rd downs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not as freaked out as everybody from last nights lost, we beat ourselves and IMO it was mainly the missed tackles which kept far too many drives alive.

It was a classic trap game and with all of the missed tackles, dropped passes, turnovers, bad play calling and a Romo injury we were a last second drive away from winning the game.

If we make half of the tackles we usually make we win this game, I am disturbed about the play calling but I think this game will get them back to basics.
I'm not really worried about "abandoning the run" -- IMO it was more about getting beat on third downs. We picked those up in other games and extended our drives, allowing us to run more. In this game, too many drives ended prematurely because they beat us on key third downs.

And on the flip side, in the 2nd half, the defense couldn't get the Skins off the field.

Those things have to be fixed. The running game, or getting enough carries, I'm not worried about at all.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My biggest issue is the total lack of hot reads on every blitz we seemed to be looking long. every team seems to have some kind of hot reads off blitzes, but I don't ever remember doing those very well.

Escobar in the seam seems like something we could do very well off of blitzes, big target on a quick pass, I see teams do this to us on blitzes every week.
Yup. By far the biggest issue on offense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
A defense that gives up 17 points in a regulation home game and only a FG in overtime has adequately done its job.
Yes and no.

If you look at it that way, then yes, 17 points should be enough to win you a game especially when you have the type of offense that we do. However, sometimes one unit just has to be the one to carry the team to victory.

This defense isn't good enough to do that and probably shouldn't be expected to, but they couldn't stop McCoy or that offense when they really had to for most of that 2nd half. They did get a big stop at the end of regulation, but they didn't get enough of them in that half.

data

Forbes #1
This year's different. We may end better than 8-8, but still reasonably miss the playoffs.

With Philly rolling, looks like 11-5 is necessary to win the East this year. Thus, even 10-6 we'd have to look at our tiebreakers amongst Arizona (tbd), Green Bay (tbd), Detroit (tbd), San Fran (loss) and Seattle (win).

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Last week at this time, people were talking about the superbowl on this board. Now, we might not make the playoffs.

:lol

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The defense wasn't so good in the 2nd half, and the field goal in Ot put the offense's back up against the wall. HOWEVER, they gave up 17 regulation points. It's hard to complain about that.

If we give up 17, we should win almost always.

From a bottom line perspective, it's hard to say this is anything but the offense's loss, and the coaching and Linehan in particular. We didn't run enough, and we never adjusted to those blitzes.

D

Deuce

The defense wasn't so good in the 2nd half, and the field goal in Ot put the offense's back up against the wall. HOWEVER, they gave up 17 regulation points. It's hard to complain about that.

If we give up 17, we should win almost always.

From a bottom line perspective, it's hard to say this is anything but the offense's loss, and the coaching and Linehan in particular. We didn't run enough, and we never adjusted to those blitzes.
Pretty much. Defense should have played much better, but 17 points is still a decent outing. The offense put itself in bad spots all day.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just can't find a reason to blame the defense. They have exceeded expectations all season long but now they performed (at least in yardage given up) like we expected them to. Its almost as if Garret called the end of the game. I would expect that of him. Just pure idiocy that I can't believe Linehan would lose his mind that fast.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
A defense that gives up 17 points in a regulation home game and only a FG in overtime has adequately done its job.
Under normal circumstances. This was a third string QB.

When you factor in his completion percentage and all the missed tackles, it's tough to say they had a good day.

Top Bottom