Archive - Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Martin would be somewhere in the middle. Still young, still has upside, might end up being a 3-4 year starter for you at 1300 yards, or he might also break down prematurely. And anything in between wouldn't shock you either. But you take a shot at him because his chance of hitting on that upside is certainly a lot better chance than McFadden turning in a dynamic season.
I like Doug Martin's skill set for us the most. It's the price that may be scary. He is a better player then Miller and still young unlike Forte. To me he could be a 1,500 yard guy here. But the contract scares me. I hate investing big dollars in a RB over the age of 25 even. You just don't know how quickly they will break down.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Another reason to not like Martin. :tippytoe

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wow, today is 16 years since Landry passed away. Doesn't seem like that long.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wow, today is 16 years since Landry passed away. Doesn't seem like that long.
You are right it doesn't seem that long. I was still working then and I could see the hospital from my downtown office.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Matt Forte says his Chicago Bears career is done, so what's next?

Matt Forte wanted to return to the Chicago Bears. He wasn't in the team's plans.

So with that, Forte will move on. He was scheduled to be a free agent and the team told him this week that it won't attempt to re-sign him, Forte said on his Instagram account. He announced that his time with the Bears is done and thanked the fans:

View photo
(Instagram.com/mforte22)

That wraps up a very good career for Forte in Chicago.

With 8,602 yards, Forte is second all-time in Bears history to just Walter Payton. He also had 4,116 yards receiving as one of the most versatile backs in the NFL. Jeremy Langford got a chance to play more when Forte was out last season with an injury, and he did a solid job. Langford was good enough that the Bears didn't want to invest again in Forte, who made a little more than $7 million last season. So Forte is done with the Bears after eight productive seasons.

Forte's next move will be interesting. He is 30 years old with 2,035 career carries, so no team will be giving him a huge contract. But he can be a valuable asset for a team in the short term. He has averaged at least 4 yards per carry in five of the last six seasons, and the exception was when he averaged 3.9 yards per carry in 2014. A team like the Dallas Cowboys, with their great offensive line, would be a fantastic fit. The Detroit Lions could use a veteran running back to boost their running game. The New England Patriots could use an upgrade from LeGarrette Blount, and Forte's versatility would be welcomed in that offense.

Forte should have a lot of enticing options when he hits free agency. And unless there's a huge U-turn in Chicago, he will hit free agency. It's a reminder that nothing is forever in the NFL.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Forte should be attractive to our staff. He's always been a great pass catcher and blocker. Having another guy who can be out there on 3rd down and be counted on to pick up a blitz or catch a pass to get the QB out of trouble is valuable even if you don't expect him to carry more than 200 times or so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forte should be attractive to our staff. He's always been a great pass catcher and blocker. Having another guy who can be out there on 3rd down and be counted on to pick up a blitz or catch a pass to get the QB out of trouble is valuable even if you don't expect him to carry more than 200 times or so.
It's kind of all about price. At 30 years old I wouldn't want to sign him for more then 2 or 3 years. And like you mentioned, he is probably part of a platoon type guy npw, so you don't want to give him more then a few mil a year.

I'm guessing a team makes the mistake of giving him much more then that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's kind of all about price. At 30 years old I wouldn't want to sign him for more then 2 or 3 years. And like you mentioned, he is probably part of a platoon type guy npw, so you don't want to give him more then a few mil a year.

I'm guessing a team makes the mistake of giving him much more then that.
If he wants to make less knowing he's better than McFadden to do another 1200 yard year for a good price, do you turn him down?

Rev

Staff member
I think Forte is going to be atop of my RB wishlist. Naturally I want a short deal. I just believe that if they think we are close then you need to not let another "Randle" happen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Forte is going to be atop of my RB wishlist. Naturally I want a short deal. I just believe that if they think we are close then you need to not let another "Randle" happen.
I agree. Mainly because I am pretty convinced we do not go after a top RB in the draft and I am scared shitless by this McFadden talk.

We have got a killer OL and if we insist on throwing the ball to backs now, why not this guy instead of fricking Dunbar?

Dunbar? Are you kidding me?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
His age is a major hurdle to me. The deal would have to be similar to McFadden's.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Rather have a younger RB who has an upside. Forte by all previous indicators of his genre will take a final contract then coast through the season. He will have little incentive to bust his balls for anyone going forward.

townsend

Banned
I think even if you have Forte and McFadden there's a good chance you'll be starting your 3rd string back at some point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His age is a major hurdle to me. The deal would have to be similar to McFadden's.
This is exactly how I would feel. It also probably means Dunbar is gone because you'd really want more of a full time RB as your third guy.

But honestly, I wouldn't burn a top pick regardless. RB is just a position where you can find a starter in any round.

Rev

Staff member
Rather have a younger RB who has an upside. Forte by all previous indicators of his genre will take a final contract then coast through the season. He will have little incentive to bust his balls for anyone going forward.
So Forte for a year or two has no upside? Forget that he is proven and I think the age thing is overblown based on the fact he isn't going to be the workhorse in Dallas.

townsend

Banned
This is exactly how I would feel. It also probably means Dunbar is gone because you'd really want more of a full time RB as your third guy.

But honestly, I wouldn't burn a top pick regardless. RB is just a position where you can find a starter in any round.
Yeah it definitely seems like the worst evaluated position. Not only can you find a starter in almost any round, you aren't guaranteed a starter if you burn a 1st rounder. Melvin Gordon, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, David Wilson, Knowshon Moreno, Jonathan Stewart, Reshard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Darren McFadden,CJ Spiller, Donald Brown, Jahvid Best, and Beanie Wells have all been disappointments.
Compare that to the good 1st round picks in the same timespan. It's pretty much Gurly, Doug Martin, and Ryan Matthews.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it definitely seems like the worst evaluated position. Not only can you find a starter in almost any round, you aren't guaranteed a starter if you burn a 1st rounder. Melvin Gordon, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, David Wilson, Knowshon Moreno, Jonathan Stewart, Reshard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Darren McFadden,CJ Spiller, Donald Brown, Jahvid Best, and Beanie Wells have all been disappointments.
Compare that to the good 1st round picks in the same timespan. It's pretty much Gurly, Doug Martin, and Ryan Matthews.
And Doug Martin was starting to look like a bust after a great rookie season. Ryan Matthews has been hit or miss. He has a couple of 1000 yard seasons but otherwise has been disappointing for a first round pick.

And then you look at rookie RBs last year and the second best guy was probably Thomas Rawls who was undrafted. I think it's a position that is so hard to predict because it's based so heavily on the blocking in front of them and the system a guy plays in. I mean look at McFadden. Looked like trash with the Raiders and statistically last year was one of the top backs in the NFL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom