MacMahon: Jerry Jones - Give Jason Garrett credit

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Give Jason Garrett credit

September, 27, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys’ new assistant coaches deserve a lot of credit for the team’s 2-1 start.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones eagerly gushes about the work being done by defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and other newcomers on the coaching staff.

“It’s exceeded anything that I might have expected, my expectations, both from the standpoint of the enthusiasm, the overall aura around the team as well as the technical aspects of it,” Jones said Friday on KRLD-FM.

Jones just wants to make sure the job being done by one longtime Valley Ranch resident doesn’t get overlooked. He goes out of his way to give head coach Jason Garrett his due.

“The guy that I want to point out that is the one that is the leader and is basically really a motivator that might surprise a lot of people is Jason Garrett,” Jones said. “Jason really has a way of communicating. He has a way of setting expectations. He certainly can use the fact that he’s new, it’s fresh for him as far as his career is concerned. He’s not that far removed from having played. All of that is a plus for us.

“This team is getting a big gain from Jason Garrett’s motivational ability.”

Jones stripping his head coach of power and play-calling duties dominated the offseason discussion about the Cowboys. He pushed Garrett into a “walkaround” head coach role after saying for years how important it was for a head coach to be in charge on one side of the ball.

A widespread assumption was that Garrett entered the season on the hot seat, although Jones has insisted that wasn’t the case.

However, Garrett has thrived thus far with his revamped responsibilities. And it’s important to Jones, who is sensitive about the perception that he wants his head coach to be a puppet, to publicly praise Garrett when appropriate.

At this point, although it’s early, it seems more likely that the offseason discussion about Garrett will focus on him getting a contract extension, not being fired.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
wooo 2-1 against teams with records of 0-3 (W), 3-0 (L), 1-3 (W). Beat someone good will ya...

Last edited:

jester

Brand New Member
Sooo the GM and Owner's expectations are exceeded at 2 wins.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Makes you wonder what Teh J's expectations were to begin with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Garrett's system should still be evolving, because he's a young coach

Head coach Jason Garrett no longer calls the plays for the Cowboys’ offense, and he doesn’t need to be married to his system, either, owner Jerry Jones said.

“He’s a young coach, and one of the things you’ve got to remember, that you should remember, is that, as a young coach, your system should be evolving,” Jones said Friday on his radio show on KRLD 105.3 FM “The Fan.” “There shouldn’t be a system that you’ve hung on for years and years and years. Ernie Zampese, for instance. Jason’s fresh in his evolving, as far as scheme is concerned.”

Jones gives credit to Garrett for motivating the Cowboys in their 2-1 start as they have made “dramatic change.”

“We haven’t departed away from our numbering, we haven’t departed away from our terminology,” Jones said. “We basically have all of that remaining, as far as the offense is concerned. But we did depart away from some of the philosophy the way we block it, and certainly to the degree that we’ve added a tight end emphasis in it. Plus we’ve added a Romo emphasis in it. That’s changed, too. We’ve had some dramatic change with the Cowboys since last year.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or how about the TE emphasis. Bullshit. We haven't done anything with the TE this year that we haven't in the past.
We were doing it since the day Parcells took over. Dan Campbell and Witten. Witten and Fasano.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were doing it since the day Parcells took over. Dan Campbell and Witten. Witten and Fasano.
Jerry is just trying to make it sound like his ultimatum in the draft room actually had some type of impact.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'll remember this when Jason's looking for work next January.

midswat

... soon
Yay head coach getting OJT while best players on team (Witten/Ware/Romo) exit their prime!

jester

Brand New Member
Jerry Jones: Garrett's system should still be evolving, because he's a young coach

Head coach Jason Garrett no longer calls the plays for the Cowboys’ offense, and he doesn’t need to be married to his system, either, owner Jerry Jones said.

“He’s a young coach, and one of the things you’ve got to remember, that you should remember, is that, as a young coach, your system should be evolving,” Jones said Friday on his radio show on KRLD 105.3 FM “The Fan.” “There shouldn’t be a system that you’ve hung on for years and years and years. Ernie Zampese, for instance. Jason’s fresh in his evolving, as far as scheme is concerned.”

Jones gives credit to Garrett for motivating the Cowboys in their 2-1 start as they have made “dramatic change.”

“We haven’t departed away from our numbering, we haven’t departed away from our terminology,” Jones said. “We basically have all of that remaining, as far as the offense is concerned. But we did depart away from some of the philosophy the way we block it, and certainly to the degree that we’ve added a tight end emphasis in it. Plus we’ve added a Romo emphasis in it. That’s changed, too. We’ve had some dramatic change with the Cowboys since last year.”

-- Carlos Mendez
Now I'm really curious to see what Red Pubes "BRAND" will be exactly now that he's been promoted to Head Motivational Speaker.

junk

Not So New Member
I'll give Jerry more credit than anyone. Clipping Garrett's nuts offensively and bringing in Marinelli were the two best moves of the offseason.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Tommy Boy: Lots of people go to college for 7 years.

Richard: Yeah, they're called doctors.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
For the record, EVERY coach should be constantly evolving his system, not just young coaches. The league will figure you out pretty quickly otherwise.

Top Bottom