Trent Richardson to Colts for 2014 1st Round Pick

gator

Brand New Member
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-first-round-pick-for-trent-richardson-no-brainer-for-browns

I think it's pretty fair to base an opinion of a trade off of the unsolicited opinions that tend to trickle in. And the overwhelming majority of the texts, calls and emails I received from GMs, scouts and execs was that the Browns did very well in this trade.

Receiving a first-round pick for a running back is pretty good work in this day and age, even for one who was a recent top-five pick.

BAD MOVE, COLTS
Prisco: Not enough value
One exec I respect deeply, who has watched Richardson closely during his brief NFL career, expressed his initial reaction to this deal: "The Colts panicked. A first-round pick? I don't believe it."

A scout who did plenty of work on Richardson was flabbergasted by the deal: "Weird trade by Indy," he sent via text. "A first for an adequate back with injury issues? They could get that player next year in the mid to late rounds. Get an adequate dude for a later pick. Everyone has depth at that position."

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

I was in contact with a few team sources who had running backs on their roster who are expendable, and all said they never got a call from the Colts to explore what it would take to get their guys. "I wish I had [called the Colts]," one noted, "especially after seeing this trade."

A defensive coordinator noted how hard Alabama head coach Nick Saban works his backs, pointed to Richardson's injury issues already in his brief career and texted: "If he can stay healthy, he's a good RB. But the injury bug is a big question mark."

DRAFT WILL BE BOON
Trade should bring QB
So with that in mind, and noting the fact that Browns president Joe Banner and GM Mike Lombardi were not with the Cleveland organization when the team traded up to draft Richardson third overall, and given their singular vision to finally improve this franchise once and for all by finding a bona fide elite quarterback in this 2014 draft, it all makes total sense.

And I also understand why Colts GM Ryan Grigson, who had the golden touch in his rookie season, made the move, with running back long an issue for Indy and Richardson still just 22 years old. They surged last year to the playoffs and with Andrew Luck in place, have every reason to feel like they are close to something special and clearly feel like they were a player away.

But the Browns now have two first-round picks, two third-round picks and two fourth-round picks, plus all their normal picks in every other round. If they don't get the first overall pick (i.e. Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater), they are in place to wheel and deal to secure the first overall pick if need be (not sure Jacksonville would be willing to deal it), or move up or down to get the quarterback they desire. They also can add more skill players with these picks -- and I agree that a very good starting RB will be available in rounds 2-4 -- and add a stud receiver with the Colts' first-round pick, and be able to retool quickly.

Richardson should benefit from the Colts' passing attack and safeties no longer able to crash freely into the box, but in Cleveland he was a 3.5 yard per carry guy. He never showed the ability to beat people in the open field. He was not explosive. He had two runs over 20 yards. He was indecisive. He looked more like a plodder than a feature back. Maybe all of that is due to the cast around him and the lack of a passing game, but never have running backs been more interchangeable than in this era.

The Browns' new regime doesn't get limited at all by the deal -- his $6.7 million cap hit is more than compensated by the $20-odd million in unused cap space they can roll into next year, and right now, nothing is more valuable to this group than draft picks. Now, they will have to use them wisely, but few teams will be better positioned to do so this spring, and given the quality they have on the defensive side of the ball and with teams like the Ravens and Steelers possibly a bit down, the insertion of one impact draft of skill players might finally reverse the fortunes of this long-suffering franchise.

This team wasn't going to the playoffs this season, even with Richardson carrying them on his back and running for 2,000 yards ... and judged by his less-than-pedestrian stats in his brief stay with the Browns, that wasn't happening, anyway.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm still in shock over that trade. Cleveland literally fucked itself in multiple ways on that trade. You'd think Jerry was the one in charge over there.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There are pros and cons to the trade.

The big deal is Cleveland basically giving up on the year.

Of course, I remember feeling that way when we traded Herschel.

Thing is, it is just a single first rounder and they still have that dork Lombardi as their GM. He is Jerry-bad.

D

Deuce

Thing is, it is just a single first rounder and they still have that dork Lombardi as their GM. He is Jerry-bad.
Even a retard can throw a load of picks to someone and grab Bridgewater.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

I was livid when we traded Herschel because he was my favorite player of all time, but we didn't dump him after 18 games, nor did we just get a late 1st round pick. Plus, we didn't trade up in the draft to get him. Cleveland moved up to the third overall pick for Richardson, so they really lost a ton of value by trading him for a late 1st rounder when his value to Indy far exceeds that spot considering the way that offense is structured. Cleveland should've demanded far more in compensation than what those inept fools were willing to take.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get why people dislike this for the Browns. The only question you need to ask yourself is, how valuable is Trent Richardson? Forget what was used to draft him in the first place. That has absolutely nothing to do with that trade. People who get caught up in that have no idea about building an NFL franchise. That's a sunk cost. The second Cleveland invested those picks they were lost.

So ask yourself would you take the 20th pick in the draft for a RB who averaged 3.6 YPC and had 950 yards rushing last year? I sure as hell would. He was averaging an even worse 3.4 ypc this season. Nothing else matters. The Browns weren't going to win anything this year with or without an average starting RB.

D

Deuce

I don't get why people dislike this for the Browns. The only question you need to ask yourself is, how valuable is Trent Richardson? Forget what was used to draft him in the first place. That has absolutely nothing to do with that trade. People who get caught up in that have no idea about building an NFL franchise. That's a sunk cost. The second Cleveland invested those picks they were lost.

So ask yourself would you take the 20th pick in the draft for a RB who averaged 3.6 YPC and had 950 yards rushing last year? I sure as hell would. He was averaging an even worse 3.4 ypc this season. Nothing else matters. The Browns weren't going to win anything this year with or without an average starting RB.
Ask yourself a better question...

in 2014, do you want your team starting Brandon Weeden and Richardson or Teddy Bridgewater and probably some mid-round pick rookie?

dallen

Senior Tech
I like this move for the Browns. There are about 5 running backs worth a 1st rounder, IMO. Richardson isn't one of them.

dallen

Senior Tech

Also worth noting he wasn't selected by this GM or coach

Carp

DCC 4Life
The estimated 20th cost them a 1, 4, 5, and 7.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Browns are not now assured of getting Bridgewater. Jax is a worse team by a long run IMO. The Jets are not much better either.

D

Deuce

The Browns are not now assured of getting Bridgewater. Jax is a worse team by a long run IMO. The Jets are not much better either.
Cleveland now has 2 picks in the first 4 rounds or something like that. They can make an offer Jax can't refuse if they want to.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cleveland now has 2 picks in the first 4 rounds or something like that. They can make an offer Jax can't refuse if they want to.
The Jags need a franchise guy...they won't pass on Bridgewater.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That doesn't make the trade of Richardson bad. It makes the drafting of Richardson at 3 originally bad, which is was.
It makes it a horrible trade...just the value of those picks alone. Richardson has a chance to blow up in Indy too...making this deal worse and worse.

D

Deuce

The Jags need a franchise guy...they won't pass on Bridgewater.
They might. If Cleveland throws a ton of those picks at you and you can still get Clowney and maybe another legit QB in the first than its very tempting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It makes it a horrible trade...just the value of those picks alone. Richardson has a chance to blow up in Indy too...making this deal worse and worse.
:picard

The original picks used have absolutely nothing to do with the trade. I don't know how hard that is to understand. It's a sunk cost.

If you think Richardson is some super stud RB, then that's fine. That's where an argument that it was a bad trade actually lies. If you think Richardson is a stud RB that just looked bad because he played in Cleveland then maybe he is worth more then a first round pick of the Colts. I have a hard time believing a stud RB would average 3.6 yards per carry as a full time starter.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yep...the traded picks are cummulative to this pick they just acquired. Also...pointing out his YPC with Weeden and nothing else on offense is weak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep...the traded picks are cummulative to this pick they just acquired.
If they traded the number 3 pick in the draft for the Colts first next year then you may have a point. They didn't though.

pointing out his YPC with Weeden and nothing else on offense is weak.
And AP averaged a career best 6.0 YPC with Ponder at QB last year. If you think Richardson is a stud RB that's fine. I disagree and if I had the 20th pick in next years draft I sure as hell wouldn't draft Richardson if he was available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Weeden might be a Cowboy, fellas. Get ready.

Top Bottom