2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think what he is insinuating at least is that the part of the black population who identifies as Democrat doesn't always make it out for every election. But when the first black President is running for office, some of those who would usually sit at home, were actually motivated to get off the couch and vote because they wanted to be part of something historic for the black community.

I have no idea if the numbers actually back that up though. You'd have to tell me if more black people voted in this election or in the past two elections.
This is a sound logical argument but it is a way off from the only reason they voted was because he was black.

And Forts is saying nothing like that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think what he is insinuating at least is that the part of the black population who identifies as Democrat doesn't always make it out for every election. But when the first black President is running for office, some of those who would usually sit at home, were actually motivated to get off the couch and vote because they wanted to be part of something historic for the black community.
Yup.

I thought that message was clear, but it takes someone who has a brain and who preferably isn't sensitive at every race-related issue to understand what I was saying.

Jiggy?

Wellllllll.......

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

:doh

People are ridiculous.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Eight years ago, we voted in the first black Pres and it was widely regarded an accomplishment. we felt good about progressing towards equality. I'm guessing the rural white voter would be generally tolerable/accepting of this achievement.

Then the rural white voter gets rewarded with media showing non-stop Ferguson, Baltimore, Oakland riots, Kaepernick every Sunday in the most widely viewed game in America and BLM. It's agitating. The sleeping mass wakes up screaming/voting.

Trump didn't introduce race into this election, just surfed the wave. Hillary was not the person to quell this swell, as well as turning off educated voters, too.

liberals are complaining about the 'volume' of racists in this country. No, the country isnt a majority of hate-filled racists. It is filled with people that won't tolerate what we experienced with the aforementioned. Ya did it to yourself by how you acted when given a chance.
That sounds good and all but could you kindly tell me when in history has white America ever willingly treated everyone equally without the aid of protest and civil disobedience?

I noticed that people love to complain about how Kaepernick, protests like Ferguson, and the BLM movement should take a page from MLK's book and protest peacefully. But here's the problem with that. People forget that things really didn't start turning for MLK and the civil rights movement until they finally got some camera's and media coverage on southerners and started showing the world how blacks were being treated down south. Until that happened it was pretty much nothing but empty promises and marginal progress.

So to me when I hear someone say Kaepernick, BLM, etc. should be like MLK and find another way to protest or "not act out" as you suggest, that's pretty much code for "go protest quietly so I can continue to ignore your issues". Which is why I have no problem with people amplifying real issues that are impacting their communities.

You're offended and uncomfortable by their actions? Boo hoo. That's the entire point of a protest. To make one side uncomfortable and hopefully force them to eventually come to the table to negotiate some actual change.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So to me when I hear someone say Kaepernick, BLM, etc. should be like MLK and find another way to protest or "not act out" as you suggest, that's pretty much code for "go protest quietly so I can continue to ignore your issues". Which is why I have no problem with people amplifying real issues that are impacting their communities.

You're offended and uncomfortable by their actions? Boo hoo. That's the entire point of a protest. To make one side uncomfortable and hopefully force them to eventually come to the table to negotiate some actual change.
Agreed.

I think references to MLK are generally overused, but I thought this quote summed up things perfectly and speaks to your point quite well:

White America never thinks it's the right time to address a situation or issue that doesn't directly affect them.

Just look at Dabo Sweeney and his comments on the kneeling during the anthem deal. I think he is a good man and I believe he's truly coming from a good place, but he's another example of White America just not getting it because for all of his good comments, he still said it wasn't the right time.

Of course not, Dabo. When is it ever?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yup.

I thought that message was clear, but it takes someone who has a brain and who preferably isn't sensitive at every race-related issue to understand what I was saying.

Jiggy?

Wellllllll.......
If it was so clear you would have said it yourself.

WeLLLLLL........indeed.

Jiggyfly

Banned

That is hilarious.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That sounds good and all but could you kindly tell me when in history has white America ever willingly treated everyone equally without the aid of protest and civil disobedience?

I noticed that people love to complain about how Kaepernick, protests like Ferguson, and the BLM movement should take a page from MLK's book and protest peacefully. But here's the problem with that. People forget that things really didn't start turning for MLK and the civil rights movement until they finally got some camera's and media coverage on southerners and started showing the world how blacks were being treated down south. Until that happened it was pretty much nothing but empty promises and marginal progress.

Preach on it brotha.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Agreed.

I think references to MLK are generally overused, but I thought this quote summed up things perfectly and speaks to your point quite well:

White America never thinks it's the right time to address a situation or issue that doesn't directly affect them.

Just look at Dabo Sweeney and his comments on the kneeling during the anthem deal. I think he is a good man and I believe he's truly coming from a good place, but he's another example of White America just not getting it because for all of his good comments, he still said it wasn't the right time.

Of course not, Dabo. When is it ever?
Nice post and nice find on the quote by MLK.

Still very relevant.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And if those protests do nothing but accomplish the opposite of that? What if the protests do nothing but cause new racial divides? You condone their fashion of protesting still if that is the result? That's what this discussion is really about. It is that BLM's movement has been so offensive that you've now created a racial divide that makes everyone feel as though blacks are pitted against whites.

I think people have forgotten the whole point of a protest. It's like the idiots out protesting Trump as President. They have no real goal or ambition. They just want to act out like a child who didn't get their way.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And if those protests do nothing but accomplish the opposite of that? What if the protests do nothing but cause new racial divides? You condone their fashion of protesting still if that is the result? That's what this discussion is really about. It is that BLM's movement has been so offensive that you've now created a racial divide that makes everyone feel as though blacks are pitted against whites.
Going to either extreme of the spectrum is never the answer.

I believe the BLM movement has done more harm than good. But the problem is that most people who are against BLM also want them to "go about it another way".

Well, what way is that?

Standing on the corner in a black community in the inner-city while singing church hymns doesn't attract any attention whatsoever from white America nor does it register as a blip on the radar anywhere else.

Violence and reverse-racism is not the answer, but neither is what lots of white Americans consider to be a peaceful protest. There has to be something about that protest that makes people uncomfortable or they simply sweep it under the rug.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm so sick of the hot button issues being abortion and gay marriage. I realize that these are very personal issues for women and homosexuals that touch them deeply but they aren't changing. No Republican President is going to abolish abortion or gay marriage. That's up to the Supreme Court to decide. And no I don't believe appointing a Republican Supreme Court Justice is going to somehow send any sort of a massive shift in that.

The hot button issues should be things like the economy but that always seems to get pushed to the back burner. People are more concerned about raising the minimum wage then they are about helping the private sector create more jobs so that everyone is able to work.
EXACTLY how I feel.

Genghis Khan

No its simple that you think that and have no clue about the complexities of black people.

If his was true any black candidate would attract a large black vote but Cain and Carson has shown that this is not the case.
Exactly right. Blacks have voted something like 90% democrat for what, 40 or 50 years now?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Exactly right. Blacks have voted something like 90% democrat for what, 40 or 50 years now?
That would be my guess.

If Obama were a Republican I’m not sure if he carries the black vote.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the BLM movement has done more harm than good. But the problem is that most people who are against BLM also want them to "go about it another way".

Well, what way is that?

Standing on the corner in a black community in the inner-city while singing church hymns doesn't attract any attention whatsoever from white America nor does it register as a blip on the radar anywhere else.
Yeah and I really have no idea. I don't know what the right way to bring about change is. I can recognize the wrong ways of doing it though and that's what BLM is doing and it would also be the people sitting on the corner in a black community singing church hymns. Doing it through elections is obviously a great way as well but when you belong to a minority group the feeling is always going to be that you will lose to the majority in an election.

Genghis Khan

I have no idea why some have this perception about him. This man almost single handedly took on the Republican Party and still became their candidate. He then took all the shots of the democratic political machine and beat them at their own game of campaign strategy. All of this while most of the media giants were at full press with their undermining tactics. Guess what. He still managed to sell the people on himself and utilized the election strategy to sew up the Prize. That's not the press clippings of an incompetent person.
Really? you have "no" idea?

Genghis Khan

Fill me in. The man isn't stupid or incompetent. He didn't get where he is by being a dufas. Again fill me in.
I never said he was stupid.

Never in the history of this country has there been a president who has never either served public office or the military. Until Trump.

So YOU tell me. Where is his competency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom