Gosselin: I don't think Cowboys draft QB at No. 4

townsend

Banned
Nothing Jerry says (especially this time of year) has any value whatsoever. If he says he's going to do something and happens to do it, chalk it up as a coincidence.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Except that he has also talked about how valuable it would be to draft a QB in the first and let them sit for a few years.
I somehow missed that one too. Of course, I do make a habit of avoiding Jerry on TV and in print anyway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Except that he has also talked about how valuable it would be to draft a QB in the first and let them sit for a few years. There have been lots of indications Jerry is seriously considering a QB at 4. Including his super gay interactions with Wentz at the Senior Bowl.

But who knows, like Jerry said, he doesn't have to take a QB at four. But he also specifically said he is considering it.
Blah blah blah blah.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The thing is...are there any QBs that will be available in the later rounds that have potential to be the next big guy in Dallas?

Obviously there are 2-3 QBs who will be at the top of the first round, and if Dallas doesn't snag one of those, why even look at a Romo-replacement QB this year? Use the draft to get a couple DB's, S, DT, speed and skill at the return position, another WR, and another DE. The Cowboys have enough picks to fill those spots.

Then again, Dallas may not find themselves picking at #4 again anytime soon.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then again, Dallas may not find themselves picking at #4 again anytime soon.
Not only that but sitting at four in a draft with at least 2 really strong QBs and one of them likely to still be around. How many drafts just outright suck at QB and honestly have no one you would want at the top of the first? And I'm sure someone will point out that once Romo leaves we will probably have a top pick. But that isn't necessarily true either. How many teams with shit at QB are still able to win 6 or 7 games and keep themselves just out of the reach of a real QB prospect? Look at the 49ers who sucked this year but probably won't have a shot at Wentz or Goff. Beyond all of that it's a draft that frankly sucks for position players in the top 10. This is a weak crop of elite talent. So there isn't anyone that makes it worth passing on a legit QB prospect.

The stars have perfectly aligned for us to take a QB. We would have to be complete idiots to pass on that for an average player.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fisher calls bullshit. /thread

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The thing is...are there any QBs that will be available in the later rounds that have potential to be the next big guy in Dallas?
That's the real question. If there is, I think he'll have plenty of opportunities to contribute getting practice on Wednesdays and starting when Romo is injured-- which is likely to happen.

But the Cowboys could draft a Bosa, Treadwell, etc. and still be happy with a veteran who can at least play. Also, nothing says there won't be a strong QB available in the 1st round next year or the year after either.

This is only a question of they think Wentz, Goff, or Lynch are slam dunk franchise carrying studs. If so, then you draft them now with the 4th pick.

Rodgers was drafted in 05, 4 good years (and 1 bad one) later Brett Favre retired.
Rodgers sat three years. Favre was a Jet in 2008.

Also Rodgers was taken with the 24th pick, easily within the grasp of any team that wanted him.

townsend

Banned
Rodgers sat three years. Favre was a Jet in 2008.

Also Rodgers was taken with the 24th pick, easily within the grasp of any team that wanted him.
Yes, but if Packers brass had said, Favre has 4 or 5 good years left in him, they wouldn't have been wrong.

Rodgers could have easily gone #1 overall. There wasn't anyone who had him ranked under Smith, the 49ers just decided on one, in the same way that Goff might slip for a while if Cleveland takes Wentz. If the Packers were drafting #2 overall I don't think anyone would have seen it as a reach to take Rodgers.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yes, but if Packers brass had said, Favre has 4 or 5 good years left in him, they wouldn't have been wrong.
I see what you're saying. That longevity proved true in Favre's case, though I believe the Packers thought entering his 14th year he was on his last legs when they drafted Rodgers. Ironically in Romo's case that same longevity won't be likely though his overly optimistic owner thinks the reverse.

Rodgers could have easily gone #1 overall. There wasn't anyone who had him ranked under Smith, the 49ers just decided on one, in the same way that Goff might slip for a while if Cleveland takes Wentz. If the Packers were drafting #2 overall I don't think anyone would have seen it as a reach to take Rodgers.
Well said, though I don't think Goff slides for long. Goff is clearly a good prospect from what I can see. Wentz played poor competition and Lynch has poor passing mechanics. The latter two could go anywhere in the 1st round while Goff has too few weaknesses with too many QB-hungry teams.

My point was that the 4th pick overall isn't more of a special key to landing franchise QB's than the 24th pick. The big drop off is after the 1st overall pick.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Just from what I've seen and read I think the Cowboys do like Wentz, but him going #2 looks more and more like a reality. If he is not there at 4, then I don't think we take Goff or Lynch.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Just from what I've seen and read I think the Cowboys do like Wentz, but him going #2 looks more and more like a reality. If he is not there at 4, then I don't think we take Goff or Lynch.
I love Wentz as a prospect. I think he could turn into a very good NFL QB but the hype is getting way out of hand. Goff should be rated higher than Wentz and if the Wentz hype train keeps rolling, we may have an opportunity at the best QB in this draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I love Wentz as a prospect. I think he could turn into a very good NFL QB but the hype is getting way out of hand. Goff should be rated higher than Wentz and if the Wentz hype train keeps rolling, we may have an opportunity at the best QB in this draft.
Agree. Wentz is almost a fad QB Prospect in that he got a lot of exposure at the 11th hour and suddenly he is the best prospect when in reality Goff has been a favored candidate most of the season. I can live with either however.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree. Wentz is almost a fad QB Prospect in that he got a lot of exposure at the 11th hour and suddenly he is the best prospect when in reality Goff has been a favored candidate most of the season. I can live with either however.
Yeah, I really like Wentz and would love him at 4. But to me Goff is the even better QB prospect. Just the best pure passer in this draft and in my opinion would have been the best pure passer in last years draft too. Even though he played in a goofy scheme you can see him going through progressions and he does it quickly with a really shitty offensive line in front of him. At his age he should have plenty of time to adjust to an offense that goes under center.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Not only that but sitting at four in a draft with at least 2 really strong QBs and one of them likely to still be around. How many drafts just outright suck at QB and honestly have no one you would want at the top of the first? And I'm sure someone will point out that once Romo leaves we will probably have a top pick. But that isn't necessarily true either. How many teams with shit at QB are still able to win 6 or 7 games and keep themselves just out of the reach of a real QB prospect? Look at the 49ers who sucked this year but probably won't have a shot at Wentz or Goff. Beyond all of that it's a draft that frankly sucks for position players in the top 10. This is a weak crop of elite talent. So there isn't anyone that makes it worth passing on a legit QB prospect.

The stars have perfectly aligned for us to take a QB. We would have to be complete idiots to pass on that for an average player.
Good points.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree.

I could live with passing on Wentz but not Goff.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Goff is going to be a very good NFL QB as there are very few question marks about him.

Therefore I see him going to the Browns.

At that point, Wentz and Lynch DO have question marks, so why then invest the 4th overall pick in them to sit behind Romo, exactly?

If I'm willing to develop a prospect with question marks I can also wait until the 2nd round, or next year for that matter.

If they think Wentz is a slam dunk stud, then I'm fine with taking him at 4.

Don't see how anyone can tell given his level of competition.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wentz has NFL ready body...Goff needs to put on some weight.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they think Wentz is a slam dunk stud, then I'm fine with taking him at 4.
Well if he was a slam dunk stud he would be the number one overall pick. But Wentz checks off most of the boxes you want in a QB. Size, arm strength, quick release, tremendous athletic ability, great leadership skills and experience playing under center. I'm actually not that worried about his level of competition. The only thing that worries me about him is his ability to go through progressions quickly and find the open guy. He has such a big arm that his tendency is to just go to his first read and fit the ball in. With Dez that may work. Because when he is covered he is still really open if you put the ball in the right spot. But I'd like to see Wentz move off his initial target on to number two or three who may be wide open. It's a skill that can easily develop over time. But some QB's just never develop it. Everything else about Wentz I love.

Top Bottom