The Ultimate Jerry Jones Interview

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Al had a great eye for talent but to say he won on his own is overblown, John Madden was a great coach.
Fair enough, but I was more referring to the acquisition of talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough, but I was more referring to the acquisition of talent.
But part of being a great owner is hiring the right people and letting them do their job. So for that period of time at least he was a top notch owner. He has just sucked ever since.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But part of being a great owner is hiring the right people and letting them do their job. So for that period of time at least he was a top notch owner. He has just sucked ever since.
He hasn't been sucking for a while now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He hasn't been sucking for a while now.
Who are you talking about? Jerry?

I think you are seeing Stephen being more involved then Jerry all of a sudden after 20 years of being oblivious getting some kind of clue.

stubbie

Not So New Member
You know the owner has had the power to replace that guy who has sucked as a GM for the past 20 years, right? That means the owner sucks as an owner.

I grew up right in the middle of the franchise going 18 of 20 years in the playoffs and not having a losing season in that span. The team went to 5 super bowls in that span. I can't remember how many nfc championship game appearances, but I know it's at least 8, and probably more like 10. And that's with around 4 legit starting QBs in that span, so it's not like they were riding 1 great player. They were a well run organization.

That's my standard.

Care to compare that to the past 20 years? I think we have made the playoffs something like 8 or so times. Only about 3 teams have failed to make the NFC championship game in that time, and we're one of them. We are now a poorly run organization. And we've had the same "great" owner calling the final shots in each and every one of those years. The same owner who refuses to fire the incompetent GM that continually fails to live up to the standards established by the predecessors of this once great organization.
I grew up in the same time period. That is the standard I want too. But you also have to take in account the NFL has changed. Parity was the goal, and parity has been reached. It's almost like NASCAR, anyone can win any week. Jones has not done a good job adapting, but he has done better over the last 3 years. He is a great owner. He is an innovator on the business end of football and he took the Cowboys out of the dumps and to the Super Bowl in a short period of time. Then the ego...Dave Campo was the low point of this organization. Hopefully, we will keep climbing upwards. Witten deserves a ring. But say anything you want to about Jerry, the man wants to win and will do anything to do so...except fire himself.

stubbie

Not So New Member
We have been over this. Al actually had a great eye for talent. He won those rings literally on his own. Not with a genius like Jimmy. There is no comparing the two.
Jimmy looked like a genius in Miami?

Jimmy and Jerry both made the Cowboys. It wasn't just one.

Cotton

Staff member
Jimmy looked like a genius in Miami?

Jimmy and Jerry both made the Cowboys. It wasn't just one.
His record got better every year he was there, including 10-6 his second to last year there. He quit because he was burned out, or who knows what he would have done for Miami.

stubbie

Not So New Member
His record got better every year he was there, including 10-6 his second to last year there. He quit because he was burned out, or who knows what he would have done for Miami.
That is an assumption he would have done any more. The fact is his EGO could not exist with Mario's EGO. Sound familiar? I got rings, I don't need this shat, I'm going fishing...

Cotton

Staff member
That is an assumption he would have done any more. The fact is his EGO could not exist with Mario's EGO. Sound familiar? I got rings, I don't need this shat, I'm going fishing...
I didn't definitively say he would have done more. I said who knows what he would have done had he stayed. But, he was trending in the right direction when he left.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
will do anything to do so...except fire himself.

The irony is that is exactly what he needed to do in order to win for the standard we are used to.

stubbie

Not So New Member
I didn't definitively say he would have done more. I said who knows what he would have done had he stayed. But, he was trending in the right direction when he left.
Under that assumption, we should have finished better than 12-4 this year since Garrett was trending up...:unsure

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If he had been allowed to trade Marino like he wanted to when he first got there he would have finished the job imo

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Under that assumption, we should have finished better than 12-4 this year since Garrett was trending up...:unsure
If gingerfuck was a real coach and not just here because Jerry hates walking on eggshells then sure

stubbie

Not So New Member
If he had been allowed to trade Marino like he wanted to when he first got there he would have finished the job imo
not sure lightning can strike twice.

so, I am getting the impression that Jimmy is a God and Jerry sucks on this board. Is that the general thought?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who are you talking about? Jerry?

I think you are seeing Stephen being more involved then Jerry all of a sudden after 20 years of being oblivious getting some kind of clue.
Actually I was referring to old Al.

Top Bottom