Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Despite not winning squat in 20 years he's always in 'win now' mode. With Romo coming towards the end of his career I think it's more than plausible Jerry isn't going to want to use a top 5 pick on a QB who won't see the field for a year or two. And now others are saying it too. I'd put money on it.
Jerry was ready to take Manziel in the first 2 years ago. Now you think there is no way he will consider a QB in the first after Romo just missed the majority of the year with two serious injuries? Jerry might not be locked into a QB in the first but he is definitely considering it. We will just have to see how the evaluation process goes at this point. NFL teams are far from done evaluating players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry was ready to take Manziel in the first 2 years ago. Now you think there is no way he will consider a QB in the first after Romo just missed the majority of the year with two serious injuries? Jerry might not be locked into a QB in the first but he is definitely considering it. We will just have to see how the evaluation process goes at this point. NFL teams are far from done evaluating players.
Yeah, he was ready to take JOHNNY FOOTBALL. Neither Wentz, Goff or Lynch are JOHNNY FOOTBALL. None have the hype or marketing draw having played college ball in Texas.... And now if we end up signing JOHNNY FOOTBALL or RGIII then there's a good chance JJ will want to see what they have to offer before also committing to a QB in the first round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, he was ready to take JOHNNY FOOTBALL. Neither Wentz, Goff or Lynch are JOHNNY FOOTBALL. None have the hype or marketing draw having played college ball in Texas.... And now if we end up signing JOHNNY FOOTBALL or RGIII then there's a good chance JJ will want to see what they have to offer before also committing to a QB in the first round.
I'd argue that Wentz right now has more hype then Johnny ever did. NFL hype at least. I know this will be hard for some to believe but Jerry wanted Johnny for his ability as a QB. Our scouts had him rated very highly.

If Dallas doesn't take a QB this year it will have nothing to do with them not being open to the idea of drafting a QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't tell you what pundits thought of Rivers pre-Senior Bowl with any certainty but I very vividly remember that I was looking at him as a potential pick for us in the 1st prior to the Senior Bowl when we were picking around 20 or so. Then after the Senior Bowl we all knew that was up in smoke.

I think Wentz is similar, I already thought of him as a 1st (maybe not a sure fire top 10 pick but definitely at least a guy who will go in the 15-25ish range) after watching each of his games before he got hurt, and then certainly after I watched him in the FCS Championship. The Senior Bowl to me is just further confirmation and makes me even more confident in taking him at 4.

And guys like Ponder and Manuel were clear reaches to me at least, I remember being shocked when they went as high as they did.
During the season Rivers was a 2nd rounder type. In the week leading up to the Senior Bowl, he started getting Wentz-like hype, but to the level of "Wow, he could go in the mid first round." I remember seeing him mocked to the Dolphins in a lot of publications, who were at 19 (still ahead of us at 22).

I don't think it was right until very near draft time that it was rumbled that he was gonna end up going top 5. And even then it was a surprise he went before Roethlisberger. But Rivers was never a "clear reach" like Ponder, Manuel, Jake Locker, etc. God, 2011 was the year of the QB reaches. I remember at the time that even Newton had question marks. I think Gabbert was rated as a first rounder, but Ponder and Locker were completely out of nowhere as first rounders, and they were both top 15.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/....nior-bowl-week

— It's no secret the Dallas Cowboys need to get younger at quarterback behind Tony Romo, and sources I talked to this week from a competing team don't expect owner Jerry Jones to pull the trigger on a passer with the No. 4 pick in the draft. Instead, look for Robert Griffin III or Johnny Manziel to be in Dallas next year.

--

I don't think Jerry was blowing smoke about thinking Romo has 3-4 years left. Get ready for it, we likely aren't taking a QB in the first.
Probably just using Aikman as a source.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not grasping at anything, it's a very real possibility. Jerry has been married to Tony even giving him that absurd extension tying him to us til he's at least 37. Now there's talk he could play 3-4 years. And don't think when we sign Manziel or RGIII we only have longterm backup in mind. Jerry is delusional enough to actually think one of them could turn it around and be the guy, at least enough to think we are OK at QB for the next year or two, long enough pass on a QB in the first this year and instead opt for a player who can start immediately. JJ is always hung up on that. It's the reason given for about 15 years why we didn't draft a WR in the first all those years prior to Dez. Somehow they thought it took a WR a year or two to develop and didn't want to use a first on one.

Despite not winning squat in 20 years he's always in 'win now' mode. With Romo coming towards the end of his career I think it's more than plausible Jerry isn't going to want to use a top 5 pick on a QB who won't see the field for a year or two. And now others are saying it too. I'd put money on it.
Again, just a year ago he was willing to use a first rounder on a QB that would have to sit. Why won't he want to now?

Maybe if there is another player he falls in love with, sure, but you can't act like having Tony around will mean he is unwilling to green light a first round QB. He already has done so with a younger, less injured Tony. He could easily do so again, if he falls in love with Wentz.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Seems early to be projecting 3rd-4th rounders as "difficult to see passing." There is no way to know who will be available in that range.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think there was more to Jerry wanting Manziel than a nickname or the fact that he played in Texas. Marketing draw? Sure, but selecting a QB at 4 will write its own marketing in Dallas. Same effect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems early to be projecting 3rd-4th rounders as "difficult to see passing." There is no way to know who will be available in that range.
Martin could very easily go in the second round. That's what they were talking during the Senior Bowl yesterday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which I think second is way too high for Martin. Good player but he isn't his brother. Martin wasn't even really one of the best players at the Senior bowl. I think he gets a bump for name recognition because of his brother but doesn't really mean much on the field. Just ask Derek Carr.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Pretty good video. Although there is a part to it that might irritate a few of you. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Pretty good video. Although there is a part to it that might irritate a few of you. :art
Welp, I figured out fairly quickly the part that might irritate some of us heathens. :lol

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'd argue that Wentz right now has more hype then Johnny ever did. NFL hype at least. I know this will be hard for some to believe but Jerry wanted Johnny for his ability as a QB. Our scouts had him rated very highly.

If Dallas doesn't take a QB this year it will have nothing to do with them not being open to the idea of drafting a QB.
Jerry wanted Manziel because of his 'wow' plays. Most of them had to do with him scrambling and improvising or throwing it up for grabs and somehow an Aggie comes down with it. A lot of that isn't going to work in the NFL but it was exciting and Jerry falls for that type of excitement. Throw in the fact he played at A&M and had the Johnny Football moniker and it was a perfect recipe of hype that Jerry loved.

I don't think anyone can compare Wentz and his rise to the hype of Manziel. Don't hear people calling him Carson Football or seen him doing the 'money rub' celebrations. His rise is due to people now evaluating his film and then seeing him and his measurables and size. It's not about manufactured sideshow hype or built around flukey plays.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Again, just a year ago he was willing to use a first rounder on a QB that would have to sit. Why won't he want to now?

Maybe if there is another player he falls in love with, sure, but you can't act like having Tony around will mean he is unwilling to green light a first round QB. He already has done so with a younger, less injured Tony. He could easily do so again, if he falls in love with Wentz.
It's not a question of whether we would draft a QB. It's a question of whether we draft a QB in the 1st while also signing Manziel/RGIII.
If we sign one of them i doubt being a backup is all Jerry will have in mind. Both were recent 1st rounders and I'm sure Jerry will have hope of a reclamation success story. I think it's very likely he'll want to see how it pans out before spending a 1st round pick on QB too.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Scott Wright from NFLDraftCountdowns Top 32

1. Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
Special talent with a rare blend of size and athleticism who excels as a pass protector and run blocker.
2. Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.
Extremely disruptive, well-rounded defender who is capable of wreaking havoc from multiple positions.
3. Jalen Ramsey CB Florida St.
Freakish athlete with legitimate Olympic aspirations in track who could project to cornerback or safety.
4. Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
Not a finished product but possesses prototypical physical tools and "Franchise Quarterback" potential.
5. Jaylon Smith OLB Notre Dame
Rangy, super athletic playmaker is recovering from a knee injury but won't fall too far, a la Todd Gurley.
6. Myles Jack ILB UCLA
Coming off a knee injury but is explosive with incredible coverage skills and can play inside or outside.
7. DeForest Buckner DE Oregon
Extraordinary physical specimen capable of seeing action outside or inside and in an even or odd front.
8. Carson Wentz QB North Dakota St.
Possesses all the physical tools and intangibles you look for but level of competition may be a concern.
9. Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame
Impressive combination of size, athleticism and nimble feet to get the job done in pass and run games.
10. Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
Workhorse with size and speed can run inside or outside and also excels as a pass catcher and blocker.
11. Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss
Competitive pass catcher with terrific size, hands, ball skills and body control but struggles to separate.
12. Jared Goff QB California
Lacks any special physical tools but is adequate across the board and excelled in a fast-paced attack.
13. Noah Spence DE Eastern Kentucky
Converts speed to power and is a handful rushing off the edge but must alleviate character concerns.
14. Robert Nkemdiche DT Ole Miss
Arguably a Top 5 talent but stock could be impacted by a lack of production and off-the-field concerns.
15. Taylor Decker OT Ohio St.
Not flashy but is a dependable all-around blocker with good intangibles and a nasty on-field demeanor.
16. Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama
Thumper who packs a load and arrives with bad intentions but is stiff with some athletic limitations.
17. Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida
Lacks ideal height / length but is a feisty cover guy with good speed and burst, fluid hips and quick feet.
18. A’Shawn Robinson DT Alabama
Average pass rusher but exceptionally stout versus the run and will only be 21-years-old as a rookie.
19. Darron Lee OLB Ohio St.
Former prep quarterback with outstanding athleticism can be a playmaker in every facet of the game.
20. Jarran Reed DT Alabama
Former JUCO transfer excels against the run and can line up inside or outside depending on scheme.
21. Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson
Smooth athlete with all the confidence in the world and might be the best pure cover guy in this class.
22. Darian Thompson S Boise St.
Ballhawk who can also hit will likely go wire-to-wire as the top rated safety prospect in this class.
23. Leonard Floyd OLB Georgia
Classic 'tweener with a rangy frame who is a dynamic edge pass rusher but a lack of bulk is a concern.
24. Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma St.
Rangy edge pass rusher with superb length as well as the size / power to be effective against the run.
25. Eli Apple CB Ohio St.
Physical cover guy with ideal size / length along with an impressive mix of athleticism, hips and feet.
26. Corey Coleman WR Baylor
Lacks polish but is a big play threat whose athleticism, speed and burst are nothing short of amazing.
27. Jack Conklin OT Michigan St.
Big, battle-tested blocker with top intangibles but athletic limitations could push him to the right side.
28. Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
Incredibly quick and explosive with the versatility to offer options in terms of position and scheme.
29. Josh Doctson WR T.C.U.
Merely average size and speed but compensates with phenomenal hands, ball skills and body control.
30. Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
Intense, active defender with fantastic bulk but upside limited due to mediocre speed and athleticism.
31. Andrew Billings DT Baylor
Short but is a ball of knives who utilizes his strength and power to stuff the run and push the pocket.
32. Braxton Miller WR Ohio St.
Former quarterback is an elite athlete and far more polished at new position than most would expect.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scott Wright sucks. He included Martin on his "overrated" list.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
10 linebackers Dallas Cowboys could target in 2016 NFL Draft

By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

Linebacker isn't the Cowboys' biggest need, but they could use another young playmaker in the mix. Depending on what happens with Rolando McClain, an unrestricted free agent, middle linebacker could be the spot they target in the early rounds.

With Sean Lee turning in his first Pro Bowl season, it's highly unlikely he'll be playing anything other than weakside linebacker in 2o16.

As far as depth at the position, Anthony Hitchens, Andrew Gachkar, Damien Wilson and Mark Nzeocha are still under contract. Kyle Wilber is an unrestricted free agent.

Here are 10 linebackers the Cowboys could consider when they're drafting in April.

1.) Myles Jack, UCLA. Regarded by most as the top linebacker in this class. His unique athleticism and play-making ability has caused several mock drafts to project him to the Cowboys at No. 4. If he were the pick, Jack would likely become the team's starting middle linebacker.

Expert: "The Cowboys defense needs help at each level, including at linebacker, especially with the futures of Rolando McClain (free agent) and Sean Lee (injuries) in doubt. Although currently sidelined with a knee injury, Jack has top-10 talent if his rehab is on track." -- Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

2.) Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame. If not for a serious left knee injury suffered in the Fiesta Bowl, Smith might have been the first linebacker drafted in April. Despite the injury, Smith is expected to be ready to play in 2016. He had surgery last month to repair his ACL and MCL.

Expert: "He's fast, athletic, instinctive and versatile. He can close quickly against the run and shows very good athletic ability and speed in coverage. ... A lot will really depend on how the docs see the repair and recovery." -- AFC college scouting director, who said the lowest he could see Smith falling is to No. 18, via NFL.com's Albert Breer.

3.) Reggie Ragland, Alabama. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year led the national champion Crimson Tide with 97 tackles, 6.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, seven pass breakups and six quarterback hurries. He played weakside linebacker in 2014 and moved to middle linebacker for the 2015 season.

Expert: "Thumping inside linebacker with throwback size and tone*setting mentality. Ragland is a confident and capable early starter in league who has the temperament to become one of the premier run*-stopping inside linebackers in the pro game. Ragland has some coverage and speed limitations, but his instincts and overall awareness should be able to mask those issues." -- Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

4.) Darron Lee, Ohio State. Lee, a two-year starter at Ohio State, had 81 tackles, 16.5 for loss, 7.5 sacks and two interceptions for the 2014 national champs. During that season, Lee took over for Ryan Shazier at strongside linebacker. Shazier, the 15th overall pick in 2014, came off the board right before the Cowboys were going to select him at No. 16.

Expert: "A former high school quarterback, Lee is a terrific athlete and a natural playmaker, racking up 27.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 INTs and 3 forced fumbles over his past two seasons. He's still developing as a run-stopping LB, but he has come a long way in that regard." -- Todd McShay, ESPN

5.) Joshua Perry, Ohio State. A tackling machine for the Buckeyes, Perry recorded 298 tackles in his four years in Columbus. Perry was on the Senior Bowl's North team, which was coached by the Cowboys, but he only participated in one day of practice because of a groin injury.

Expert: "When discussing the top NFL prospects on Ohio State's roster, Perry is rarely among the first names mentioned and that's understandable considering he plays in a defensive front-seven with first round talents like Joey Bosa, Adolphus Washington and Darron Lee. But he deserves more attention for his outstanding senior season and scheme-diverse skill-set that will be in high demand by NFL teams." -- Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Next 5 (in alphabetical order):

Dominique Alexander, Oklahoma

Kentrell Brothers, Missouri

Deion Jones, LSU

Nick Kwiatkoski, West Virginia

Tyler Matakevich, Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom