Archer: Rod Marinelli's 'passion' led to penalty

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rod Marinelli's 'passion' led to penalty

October, 15, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- To see Rod Marinelli inside the Dallas Cowboys' Valley Ranch complex is to see a coach always in control, moving at an even tempo.

On the sideline Sunday night against the Washington Redskins, Marinelli was a little hot and he let the officials know it when Jason Hatcher's sack of Robert Griffin III was initially ruled an incomplete pass. The Cowboys were able to overturn the call on replay, but Marinelli was hit with an unsportsmanlike penalty for arguing too much.

Instead of a second-and-20 from the Washington 36, the Redskins had a first-and-10 at the Dallas 49 and were able to kick a field goal to close halftime.

Last year then-defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty when he jawed back and forth with Cincinnati Bengals tackle Andre Smith. Jason Garrett had to calm Ryan down. Marinelli apologized before the next play.

“Rod's a very passionate guy who loves football,” Garrett said. “You see that in everything he does each and every day ... I think Rod was just trying to let the official know that (Griffin's knee was down) and I guess the official didn't like how he said it. But he has great passion. He's a standup guy. As soon as the flag happened, he turned to me and apologized. But if everybody brings it like Rod Marinelli brings it we've got a really good chance of being a good football team.”

Kinda torn here. Yes, you have to love the passion, but at the same time what kind of discipline are you teaching the players?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I still don't get the concept of a penalty for arguing too much over a play that the officials later admitted they got wrong and overturned. Kind of BS.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I still don't get the concept of a penalty for arguing too much over a play that the officials later admitted they got wrong and overturned. Kind of BS.
I know that in the high school ranks any coach other than the HC talking to the ref can be a flag if the ref is a real jerk. Most refs get control really quickly over too much talk from the sidelines. Refs don't like a bunch of noise from the sidelines towards them. It can be extremely distracting in their performance, especially if they are the sensitive type. I would assume that there are less sensitive types in the NFL than there are at the lower levels. I'd think that you could expect professionals the higher that you go. I know that the Jr High refs generally are much more sensitive, since they are the least experienced generally.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Nice to see some passion on the sideline instead of Mr Roboto standing looking out at the field.

Top Bottom