Tony Pauline: Jalen Ramsey Is Number One On Cowboys Board

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. When we traded up to 6 I was hoping that's who we were targeting (Cox), but I knew we weren't.
So it's fair to say you loved Cox?

But yeah I really liked Fletcher Cox as well. I didn't like Poe at all. Scared the shit out of me that the guy only had like 2 sacks at Memphis. It ended up working out with him. Hell it could end up working out with Ramsey as well. This stuff isn't an exact science. Sometimes a guy who is an elite athlete who didn't put up great numbers eventually develops. If that never happened guys like Ramsey would have zero shot of going at the top of the draft. But it certainly scares me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cox was my guy as well but I thought Claiborne was worth the price to move up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cox was my guy as well but I thought Claiborne was worth the price to move up.
Claiborne wasn't on my radar as even a possibility. But I certainly thought he was going to have a much better career then he has. Of course basically everyone thought that as well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
As long as those worthless piece of shit DBs aren't near the top, I'll be fine.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Our love for DB's?:lol

The over the top takes just keep on comming.

Man you are just going to will this scenario into happening so you can say see I told you.
Yeah, I'm just dying to see us throw the draft away just to say I told you. :dunce

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Barron?

Really?

Everybody loved David DeCastro as far as I remember, it was the organization who loved Barron. DeCastro was by far my favorite at 12 or where ever we were picking, I also loved Kuechly and very specifically remember arguing in favor of Poe who most of the board thought was nothing but a workout warrior. I remember smitty loved Fletcher Cox.
DeCastro and Fletcher Cox were the two I was interested in. The backup was Brockers. And as it turned out the Cowboys claimed their pick in the 2nd would've been Bobby Wagner if we hadn't traded it away.

I hated the trade up because it cost us two high round picks. Bobby Wagner alone would've been vastly superior to Claiborne. DeCastsro/Wagner or Brockers/Wagner would've been a solid draft, instead we ended up with a bust at CB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who says Ramsey is number 1 on the Cowboys board?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was a Brockers guy in that draft. I hated Barron, didn't want anything to do with him. And I HATED the Claiborne trade. And he turned out worse than I thought.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd be fine with a productive CB at 4. In the 2nd round I'm hoping for either QB or WR.

Not many talk about it but the Cowboys need playmakers at WR as well. QB and RB aren't the only areas of need on offense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine with a productive CB at 4. In the 2nd round I'm hoping for either QB or WR.
The funny thing is if Ramsey had 4 or 5 picks last year as a full time corner at FSU I'd probably like him at 4. But this part time corner/safety thing and then no picks just scares me. Hell I would even consider him at safety with Byron Jones full time at corner as an option as well.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The funny thing is if Ramsey had 4 or 5 picks last year as a full time corner at FSU I'd probably like him at 4. But this part time corner/safety thing and then no picks just scares me. Hell I would even consider him at safety with Byron Jones full time at corner as an option as well.
I'm with you there. I know stats aren't everything and don't tell the complete story on how well someone played but I always cringe when I see us draft a player in round 4 or higher who didn't compile decent numbers in college.

With certain positions you want to see quantifiable production to justify the draft pick.

It's one of the many reasons that I hated the Wilcox & Matt Johnson draft picks. Neither of them had the on-field production that you'd like to see from a DB. What made it worse with those two was that they played against lesser competition yet they still weren't able to create impact plays.

Top Bottom