2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
College football is a lot more exciting when the University of Miami is dominant. When Al Golden gets fired and Greg Schiano becomes the head coach, he will recruit from the shadiest areas of florida and they will be good again
I was listening to the radio on Tuesday following Monday night's game and many of the callers were griping about the lack of athletes and Golden's recruiting habits.

I thought it was just a bunch of angry fans lashing out in frustration. But I guess there is some truth to it. I remember reading how Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson were the first Cane coaches to recruit hard in the inner city and the championships soon followed.

D

Deuce

I was listening to the radio on Tuesday following Monday night's game and many of the callers were griping about the lack of athletes and Golden's recruiting habits.

I thought it was just a bunch of angry fans lashing out in frustration. But I guess there is some truth to it. I remember reading how Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson were the first Cane coaches to recruit hard in the inner city and the championships soon followed.
Miami has, and always has had, premium athletes. Their downfall has been QB development. They haven't turned a guy into even a competent game manager since Dorsey. Forget having an actual playmaker.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member

i know its probably cliche at this point to recommend this, but the ESPN 30 for 30 on the U is phenomenal. I was a young buck when Jimmy Johnson was coach and when I first cared about college football, miami was at its peak. When I watched this, I was astonished by the difference 10 years made to that program.

Unfortunately it looks like another 10 years later, the Miami program is in shambles again. It's sad really, because college football is at its best when a team like Miami is a powerhouse. Either way, they will never be able to fill up their small crappy stadium because the fanbase is that pathetic

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Miami has, and always has had, premium athletes. Their downfall has been QB development. They haven't turned a guy into even a competent game manager since Dorsey. Forget having an actual playmaker.
this is painfully true. It's not their offensive scheme either, they just cant develop QBs for shit.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
i know its probably cliche at this point to recommend this, but the ESPN 30 for 30 on the U is phenomenal. I was a young buck when Jimmy Johnson was coach and when I first cared about college football, miami was at its peak. When I watched this, I was astonished by the difference 10 years made to that program.

Unfortunately it looks like another 10 years later, the Miami program is in shambles again. It's sad really, because college football is at its best when a team like Miami is a powerhouse. Either way, they will never be able to fill up their small crappy stadium because the fanbase is that pathetic

Yeah, there is truly nothing like watching a team of thugs come to smack some teams in the face. It truly is good times. Those teams were legendary.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Yeah, there is truly nothing like watching a team of thugs come to smack some teams in the face. It truly is good times. Those teams were legendary.
The best part about it is a guy like Schellenberger taking a risk and recruiting in areas where nobody would go into. Middle of the projects in Miami you see a white guy roll up in a Lexus all suited up. If you watch the 30 for 30, they talk about the guy like hes the father they never had

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There were a few teams that rose to the challenge and wanted to be that bad, but a lot of them shrunk from it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Art Briles is suggesting that Petty likely won't play on Saturday.

Baylor will only win by 33 with Petty out. Call your bookies.

Carp

DCC 4Life
As a long time Big 10 fan I loom forward to Mich St beating those fags from the PAC 12.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Carp is full of it. He's a Pac 12 homer at heart.

As an aside, I'm actually looking forward to see how Strong's Longhorns look tonight. Game Day showed a graphic earlier this morning that shows that Texas' starting OL only has 5 total starts. Wow!

I don't expect Malcolm Brown to have many running lanes especially since this Swoopes kid is supposed to be incredibly raw. BYU will probably have 8 in the box all night.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

As an aside, I'm actually looking forward to see how Strong's Longhorns look tonight. Game Day showed a graphic earlier this morning that shows that Texas' starting OL only has 5 total starts. Wow!

I don't expect Malcolm Brown to have many running lanes especially since this Swoopes kid is supposed to be incredibly raw. BYU will probably have 8 in the box all night.

Strong has run off a ton of players. Two starting OL as of this week. I believe that makes 11 starters total. That is truly mind boggling.

If they can stick with Strong I believe he will right the ship. I'm expecting a decent defense and terrible offense in the short term though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Strong has run off a ton of players. Two starting OL as of this week. I believe that makes 11 starters total. That is truly mind boggling.

If they can stick with Strong I believe he will right the ship. I'm expecting a decent defense and terrible offense in the short term though.
He's shaking up the country club.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He's shaking up the country club.
It's inexcusable for Texas to sink to the level that it has. That school is perfectly positioned in a recruiting hot bed and by most accounts Texas is the richest university in America.

Tons and 4 and 5 star athletes sitting on their front porch and they can't field quality OLs and DLs. Pathetic.Even the skill position players have been lacking.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
Sooners score in 3 plays. Championship.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I am deading throwing and shucking corn. Watch yer tone.

1bigfan13

Staff member
They are solid on all aspects of the game this season based on what I have observed so far. They depend on Shepard a lot.
I'm very pleased with what I've seen from the defense so far this year. Granted they haven't played tough competition yet but regardless in the past few years even the lower tier teams could move the ball on our defense.

Mike Stoops is making improvements.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Oklahoma looks unbeatable. Probably the best sports team since the '27 Yankees.

The only chink in the armor is Knight has a habit of putting too much air under his deep throws. He needs to start putting more zip on those deep passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom