2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dodd's 2015 Preseason Poll

1 Ohio State: Let's just say the Buckeyes are set are quarterback. Jones will go into the spring as the favorite. Will Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett make it that far before transferring? Include 15 other returning starters and Ohio State is the class of not only the Big Ten but the nation in 2015. The biggest loss is offensive coordinator Tom Herman, who heads for Houston.

2 TCU: A two-time National Coach of the Year, Gary Patterson gets back 15 starters including Heisman Trophy candidate (front-runner?) Trevone Boykin. Baylor coming to Fort Worth helps the chances for an undefeated season.

3 Alabama: Does it matter who plays quarterback? Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin and have shown they can coach the next guy up after Blake Sims. T.J. Yeldon, Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake should be back as one for the projected SEC champions.

4 Florida State: Jameis Winston, Nick O'Leary and Rashad Greene are gone. Jimbo Fisher won't blink. He has recruited like a madman (No. 2 nationally at the moment). Dalvin Cook returns at tailback. The quarterback battle will be worth following. Winston's 2014 backup, Sean Maguire, is only signal-caller with experience.

5 Baylor: Art Briles' bitching (over the Big 12 title) will fade when he realizes what's in the tank for 2015. Eighteen starters, not including quarterback Seth Russell, who led the nation in pass efficiency for a couple of weeks when Bryce Petty was injured.

6 Oregon: Until Braxton Miller says, “I'm not transferring to Oregon,” the two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year remains a delicious prospect in Eugene. Quarterback is the biggest question mark now that Marcus Mariota is headed for the NFL. Thirteen starters -– counting defensive end Arik Armstead, for now -– will be back.

7 Ole Miss: The Rebels weren't a one-hit wonder. Hugh Freeze gets back receiver Laquon Treadwell and budding superstar Robert Nkemdiche in the defensive line. The Landshark defense returns with a snarl. If Chad Kelly can keep his nose clean, Ole Miss might be better at quarterback with the departure of Bo Wallace.

8 Michigan State: There's a dearth of skill players returning but somehow we think Mark Dantonio will be able to patch together enough to make another Big Ten run. Shilique Calhoun's decision to return on defense is huge. The remaking of the Big Ten continues. .

9 LSU: Let Leonard run! This should be a breakout year for sophomore tailback Leonard Fournette. If quarterback Anthony Jennings develops in his second year as a starter, the Tigers might be an SEC West contender again.

10 USC: Steve Sarkisian's nine wins are the most by a first-year Trojans' coach since 1976 and third-most ever for a USC first-timer. Buck Allen, Leonard Williams and Nelson Alholor have declared early for the draft. Still, the Trojans are loaded beginning with quarterback Cody Kessler who finished only slightly behind Mariota in Pac-12 passing numbers.

11 Boise State: The Broncos haven't gone anywhere under Bryan Harsin. There are still 17 other returning starters even with the loss of tailback Jay Ajayi to the draft.

12 Clemson: The full flowering of a healthy Deshaun Watson as a sophomore will be one of the season's hottest topics. Getting Florida State at home also gives the Tigers a chance in the ACC Atlantic.

13 Mississippi State: Like Ole Miss, the Bullies aren't going away anytime soon in the SEC. This ranking all depends on Dak Prescott staying in school. If he does, a Prescott-D'Runnya Wilson combination remains a scary thing.

14 Auburn: Two things to like about the Tigers' darkhorse chances in the SEC West: Will Muschamp as the new defensive coordinator and Jeremy Johnson as the new quarterback.

15 Missouri: It's time to stop doubting the Tigers. They should be favored to win the SEC East going in. Maty Mauk gets another year of experience. Defensive End U. Should be able to rebuild the position.

16 UCLA: Little Jerry Neuheisel will battle with freshman Josh Rosen to replace Brett Hundley. The winner will be surrounded by four all-conference performers, not including Paul Perkins, the Pac-12's leading rusher.

17 Arizona: The nation's best defender, Scooby Wright III, is back.A budding sophomore quarterback returns in Anu Solomon. Lots of upside for Arizona's first 10-win team in 16 years and only the third in program history.

18 Georgia: Do the Bulldogs even need a quarterback? They have so much depth at tailback they could go to the single wing. Nick Chubb leads the way.

19 Wisconsin: Let's see if Barry Alvarez can keep a coach. Paul Chryst was a safe and familiar pick to replace Gary Andersen. The next star tailback should be Corey Clement.

20 Arkansas: No one wants to play the Hogs the way they finished up 2014. In Bret Bielema's third season, this could be a 10-win team with a punishing defense and run game.

21 Arizona State: With only 11 coming back, Todd Graham had one of the smallest senior classes in the country. That will help in 2015. Tailback D.J. Foster helped things when he decided to return to school. Quarterback Mike Bercovici is an upgrade over Taylor Kelly. Yep, I said it.

22 Utah: Let's hope the Utes don't suffer while Kyle Whittingham and athletic director Chris Hill continue to squabble. Special things are ahead for Utah, which returns tailback Devontae Booker and eight defensive starters.

23 Georgia Tech: Paul Johnson would like to lob a middle finger at all the doubters. “At least for a week or two we don't have to worry about the SEC,” he said after beating Mississippi State in the Orange. Tech has won at least 10 games twice in six years. Justin Thomas is back at quarterback.

24 Florida: The offense can't get any worse, can it? Jim McElwain arrives to pump some life into the O. He should bring plenty of tape from Colorado State for Treon Harris -- or Will Grier. The Rams' Garrett Grayson was a top-five passer this season.

25 Tennessee: Butch Jones called his team the youngest in America. Doesn't that mean it has the most upside in '15? Plenty of raw talent just has to be realized in Knoxville.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Another half dozen players are expected to transfer out of Texas this offseason. Strong ain't playin around.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/1/13/7543413/texas-longhorns-transfers-charlie-strong-mj-mcfarland
The program will be better off in the long run because of Strong's actions. Eliminating the overly entitled, country club atmosphere will make UT better. Those shit heads don't deserve to have everyone sucking their dicks just because they wear burnt orange.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
25 Tennessee: Butch Jones called his team the youngest in America. Doesn't that mean it has the most upside in '15? Plenty of raw talent just has to be realized in Knoxville.
:towel

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The program will be better off in the long run because of Strong's actions. Eliminating the overly entitled, country club atmosphere will make UT better. Those shit heads don't deserve to have everyone sucking their dicks just because they wear burnt orange.
Pretty much. That has been the attitude in Austin for a long long time. I'm hoping that he keeps gutting the program then gets ran out of town before they give him a chance to clean it up. Then they can hire Dennis Francione.

:unsure

Mayer that was a little too harsh.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Another half dozen players are expected to transfer out of Texas this offseason. Strong ain't playin around.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/1/13/7543413/texas-longhorns-transfers-charlie-strong-mj-mcfarland
That's great news to me.

The good ol' boy crowd made a big fuss last year when he got rid of so many guys, but by the end of the year it was clear that he had the everyone on the team believing in him and playing with confidence.

This is just another step into molding the program into how he wants it and I'm competent fine with that.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty much. That has been the attitude in Austin for a long long time. I'm hoping that he keeps gutting the program then gets ran out of town before they give him a chance to clean it up. Then they can hire Dennis Francione.

I was thinking they could hire Kingsbury.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

2nd round...would ya?

He reminds me of Leftwich.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

FORT WASHINGTON, Md. -- The power players in collegiate athletics enacted historic change Saturday at the NCAA convention, passing the first package of autonomous legislation, headlined by a full cost-of-attendance measure that will supplement student-athletes' scholarships with unprecedented dollars.

"It's a big day for student-athletes," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "The benefits now available to student-athletes are more significant. This is a big step forward and a response to a changing circumstance for the 21st-century athlete."

The discussion and vote Saturday outside Washington, D.C., thrust fully into the spotlight the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 after the Division I Board of Directors granted autonomy to the Power 5 conferences last August to create rules free of the full NCAA membership.

Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports"It's a big day for student-athletes," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "... This is a big step forward and a response to a changing circumstance for the 21st-century athlete."
Full cost of attendance passed on a 79-1 vote from the panel comprised of 15 student-athletes -- a historic event in its own right -- and the 65 schools of the football-driven leagues.

Boston College cast the lone dissenting vote, according to NCAA tabulations.

Stipends, determined by institutions under federally created guidelines, have been estimated at $2,000 to $4,000 annually. They are designed to cover the cost-of-living expenses that fall outside athletic scholarships.

Group of Five and other non-football playing Division I conferences can opt to enact the proposals passed Saturday as early as next fall.

Other approved measures establish a concussion safety protocol and a discretionary student-athlete assistance fund, allow for student-athletes to borrow against potential future earnings to purchase loss-of-value insurance and prevent schools from removing scholarships based on athletic performance.

By far, though, the most groundbreaking legislation, according to leaders of the Power 5 conferences, governs cost of attendance.

Full cost of attendance was initially passed by NCAA legislators in 2011 but voted down by the full membership. There will be no such veto this time; the Saturday vote was final.

"You can't miss the significance of this day," said Greg Sankey, executive associate commissioner of the SEC. "The five conferences showed the ability to use this opportunity in a meaningful and positive way."

More from espnW

There's revolution in the air at this week's NCAA convention, a revolt from above ushering in a new governing structure that's changing all of college athletics, Luke Cyphers writes. Story

After a turbulent past year, in which the NCAA's model of amateurism met challenges in the form of a move by Northwestern football players to unionize and a loss in U.S. district court over the ability of student-athletes to earn money for their names, images and likenesses, change was imminent.

ACC commissioner John Swofford described the events of Saturday as "very appropriate and long overdue."

"It's one afternoon, but it's really been the last two years that a lot of this has been vetted and discussed," Swofford said. "Full cost of attendance was critical. It had to pass. It was a part of modernizing the collegiate model."

Swofford said he was especially pleased with the involvement of the student-athletes -- three from each Power 5 league -- in the discussion forum on autonomy before the late-afternoon vote. His colleagues agreed.

"They clearly participated," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "They clearly impacted people. I would say, going forward, if you're interested in your proposal having a good chance of passing, you need to bring them into the construction of the proposal process.

"Their voice is even more powerful than their number."

Big 12 representative Ty Darlington, a junior offensive lineman at Oklahoma, argued for a more comprehensive set of requirements on concussions. He introduced an amendment to refer the proposal for additional review.

The amendment failed, and the original SEC-sponsored proposal passed with 64 votes and approval from four conferences after an assurance from NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline that the legislation would serve as a starting point in handling head injuries.

Several of the student-athlete representatives spoke passionately against the proposal that prohibits the removal of a scholarship for athletic performance. They argued that such a rule could inhibit team chemistry and undermine coaches' authority.

"People forget that it is our job to perform," Florida baseball player Josh Tobias said.

Ultimately, the scholarship proposal passed by three votes after receiving late support in the discussion period.

"How can we say that we put the student aspect of a student-athlete first," Northwestern soccer player Nandi Mehta said, "when we're going to inhibit a student-athletes' ability to get an education based on athletic performance?"

North Carolina State athletic director and former basketball coach Debbie Yow said all coaches make mistakes in recruiting.

"That is no reason to take their scholarship," Yow said.

The opportunity for such debate was widely applauded.

"We have the freedom to act autonomously," Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch said, "but we have the responsibility to do so wisely."

Conference commissioners and other leaders in attendance agreed that the changes ratified at this convention signaled a new way of doing business in college sports.

"I am so happy that we are driving the vehicle of reform," South Carolina president Harris Pastides said. "The alternative is courts, federal and state government and the interest of corporate America."

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Timothy Irvin, Michael's nephew has now switch his commitment from Texas to Auburn.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
[MENTION=141]jsmith6919[/MENTION] Kyler Murray is at UT with Lodge today on an official. 247 is predicting at flip to the whorns. I don't want to see it happen but I will have to lol at Aggy if this happens. It is the only thing that can give me temporary relief from my fail recruiting year.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
[MENTION=141]jsmith6919[/MENTION] Kyler Murray is at UT with Lodge today on an official. 247 is predicting at flip to the whorns. I don't want to see it happen but I will have to lol at Aggy if this happens. It is the only thing that can give me temporary relief from my fail recruiting year.
Yea word is they offered his dad a 500k "consulting " gig :shrug

dallen

Senior Tech
Arkansas hired Central Michigan HC Dan Enos as the new OC\QB Coach. I won't pretend to know anything about CMU, but it seems like a good hire. CMU was top 10 in TOP in 2014 and in his last year as an assitant he was named a top 10 recuriter by Rivals.com. It feels a lot like the hiring of Robb Smith as DC last year in that it came from left field but makes a lot of sense once you look at it

Thorn

Brand New Member
Harbaugh is going to turn Michigan around in a hurry. During the OSU National Title celebration at Ohio Stadium, Miller talked about having "one more year" to do it again.

Not sure if that was a confirmation that he's coming back, seemed that way though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I will say I will pay more attention to Big 10 games this upcoming year.

Thorn

Brand New Member
I will say I will pay more attention to Big 10 games this upcoming year.
I'm curious to see how much extra attention the conference is going to get next season between OSU winning the championship, Michigan State finishing in the top five for the second straight year and Harbaugh taking over at Michigan.

Certainly good times for the conference. Couldn't have imagined it five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom