Sturm: Why I Disagree With Cowboys' 4th-and-2 Throw To Dez Bryant

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It seems that most twists and stunts were targeting that side, although if the Detroit and Green Bay games had anything major in common, it appeared that the idea to isolate Ron Leary and attack him was being used regularly. I think the Cowboys may have to consider how good Leary is and how much to invest in him or to keep looking for that spot. He was no match for Mike Daniels on Sunday.

:dunce
So they went after the weakest link on the line. Is it any big surprise that Leary was the weakest of all 5 linemen? What does this prove, except for...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So they went after the weakest link on the line. Is it any big surprise that Leary was the weakest of all 5 linemen? What does this prove, except for...
Well.... that's just my point. Thanks for agreeing.

Leary is not a player I'm placing on my trust list at this point. I had him on it early in the year but later in the year I thought he definitely got worse.

I'm not cutting him but he's definitely with Doug Free on the "replaceable" ledger.

Is this supposed to be annoying? I don't even know what it means.

Cotton

Staff member
Well.... that's just my point. Thanks for agreeing.

Leary is not a player I'm placing on my trust list at this point. I had him on it early in the year but later in the year I thought he definitely got worse.

I'm not cutting him but he's definitely with Doug Free on the "replaceable" ledger.
So, he's the weakest on a line with 3 all-pros and a tackle that was killing it before he got hurt. Yeah, really proving your point.

And, yeah, the gif is to annoy, and to prove that all you have right now on this board is to try and push an agenda.

data

Forbes #1
Zack Martin makes a better block on Julius Peppers and Cowboys in the NFCC.

Ron Leary sucks.

Romo under more duress than Rodgers.

Yet this OL is supposed to better than the early 90s version.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So, he's the weakest on a line with 3 all-pros and a tackle that was killing it before he got hurt. Yeah, really proving your point.
I don't know what point you think I'm making.

I'm not allowed to comment on player performance now?

I'm just saying Leary wore down. This isn't some larger point about the state of the OL.

And, yeah, the gif is to annoy, and to prove that all you have right now on this board is to try and push an agenda.
:lol

Troll away. But I'm the one with the agenda.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't know what point you think I'm making.

I'm not allowed to comment on player performance now?

I'm just saying Leary wore down. This isn't some larger point about the state of the OL.
No one said you couldn't comment on player performance, it's just that your comments are jaded by past evaluations that you just can't let go of.

:lol

Troll away. But I'm the one with the agenda.
Yes.... yes, you are.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No one said you couldn't comment on player performance, it's just that your comments are jaded by past evaluations that you just can't let go of.
Well it's a good thing you agree with me on this then, since you are so agenda-free as to be above having your motives questioned.

Yes.... Leary was not good enough at the end of the season to entrench himself in the "re-sign as long term starter" camp. Early in the year he was definitely in that group, but he fell off late. Obviously I hope he gets his mojo back but that's two years in a row he was worse at the end of the year than at the beginning IMO.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well it's a good thing you agree with me on this then, since you are so agenda-free as to be above having your motives questioned.

Yes.... Leary was not good enough at the end of the season to entrench himself in the "re-sign as long term starter" camp. Early in the year he was definitely in that group, but he fell off late. Obviously I hope he gets his mojo back but that's two years in a row he was worse at the end of the year than at the beginning IMO.
You are the only saying he was worse, what metrics are you using because the statement here does not back you up.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Zack Martin makes a better block on Julius Peppers and Cowboys in the NFCC.

Ron Leary sucks.

Romo under more duress than Rodgers.

Yet this OL is supposed to better than the early 90s version.
Martin's block was good enough.

Peppers makes a hell of a play just to be able to even touch Murray, but even then, if he's holding that ball more securely, he runs right through that arm tackle attempt and scores.

But because he carries the ball so loosely and has such a hard time securing the football, we ended up with a negative play.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are the only saying he was worse, what metrics are you using because the statement here does not back you up.
No one cares about your PFF metrics that say Parnell was the best while Tony Romo was a net negative.

I'm echoing Sturm and saying that is a position that needs to be evaluated if he's really a guy we want to have around because late in the year he was exploited.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Peppers makes a hell of a play just to be able to even touch Murray, but even then, if he's holding that ball more securely, he runs right through that arm tackle attempt and scores.

But because he carries the ball so loosely and has such a hard time securing the football, we ended up with a negative play.
Murray saw the open field in front of him and forgot to protect the ball. Just one of the gaffes we overcame yet again.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No one cares about your PFF metrics that say Parnell was the best while Tony Romo was a net negative.

I'm echoing Sturm and saying that is a position that needs to be evaluated if he's really a guy we want to have around because late in the year he was exploited.
No you are not echoing what Sturm said you are extrapolating what he said to fit your argument that he wore down last year.

He said nothing about late in the year just that he was targeted with stunts and a rotation of different players.

Only you can take that sentence as some kind of validation, you are in rare form with this one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No you are not echoing what Sturm said you are extrapolating what he said to fit your argument that he wore down last year.

He said nothing about late in the year just that he was targeted with stunts and a rotation of different players.

Only you can take that sentence as some kind of validation, you are in rare form with this one.
He said we seriously need to evaluate whether this is a guy we want to pay due to the fact that he was targeted and exploited by the Lions and the Packers in successive weeks. So unless he was also getting exploited early in the year (he wasn't), then he finished worse than he began.

I can draw logical conclusions from that. Post some more metrics about Parnell though.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
He said we seriously need to evaluate whether this is a guy we want to pay due to the fact that he was targeted and exploited by the Lions and the Packers in successive weeks. So unless he was also getting exploited early in the year (he wasn't), then he finished worse than he began.

I can draw logical conclusions from that. Post some more metrics about Parnell though.
Parnell is fine and my track record of recognizing players talents has made you look foolish several times Bowen, Hatcher, Crawford all say hello.

And lets not forget Sturm seems to agree with me.:lol

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Murray saw the open field in front of him and forgot to protect the ball. Just one of the gaffes we overcame yet again.
We made way too many mistakes this year that we often were able to overcome. 21-0 deficit at St Louis, turnovers and penalties in Seattle, tons of missed opportunities against the Lions, etc... But the deeper you go in the playoffs you aren't going to be able to make those mistakes and still come out on top. That's what happened in GB and would've likely been the case in Seattle if we had somehow overcome last week. Sooner or later it'll bite you against the better teams.

To advance deeper in the future we will have to cut down on all those mistakes or have a team with vastly superior talent than everyone else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We made way too many mistakes this year that we often were able to overcome. 21-0 deficit at St Louis, turnovers and penalties in Seattle, tons of missed opportunities against the Lions, etc... But the deeper you go in the playoffs you aren't going to be able to make those mistakes and still come out on top. That's what happened in GB and would've likely been the case in Seattle if we had somehow overcome last week. Sooner or later it'll bite you against the better teams.

To advance deeper in the future we will have to cut down on all those mistakes or have a team with vastly superior talent than everyone else.
Actually, we made fewer mistakes this year and it is why we won four more games.

Penalties were almost eliminated, at least to the way they used to be several years ago.

The "mistakes" were because of subpar talent that could not execute what was needed.

This was the first season in forever it looked like we had a fighting chance in the coaching piece of the contest, it seemed having two decent coordinators allowed Garrett to actually manage games.

data

Forbes #1

Not saying Martin's block wasn't good enough...but if it was better, we're TMSAW.

data

Forbes #1
Parnell is fine and my track record of recognizing players talents has made you look foolish several times Bowen, Hatcher, Crawford all say hello.
GM Jiggy vs GM Schmitty

We should have a running thread dedicated to keeping track of this.

Jiggyfly

Banned
GM Jiggy vs GM Schmitty

We should have a running thread dedicated to keeping track of this.
Anybody that has been on the board long enough to remember his man crush on Leinart and his advocating of Dallas taking B Quinn:lol will know how terrible his "scouting" has been.

Top Bottom