JJT: Marinelli maniacal about Cowboys forcing turnovers

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think people are really underestimating what McClain was asked to do.

He basically got of his couch after not having NFL training for 2 years and went to training camp and won a starting position, its no wonder his body is breaking down.

I am not saying back up the truck but he has to be a priority using his being nicked up as some knock against him is not looking at the big picture at all.

What he has done this year under the circumstances is amazing and its not like he has a history of injury.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think anyone is not pleasantly surprised about how well he played, but we certainly should exercise discretion when looking at his contract. I definitely want him back, but reasonably.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
A lack of turnovers has been the Achilles' heel of this team's defense even when they were better overall statistically. Sometimes opportunism trumps talent.

When was the last time we had to wonder about who on defense to keep and who to let walk outside of Ware last year? I mean, the consensus was to let him go but there were still some people biting hteir nails over the idea.

I don't think Carter has shown quite enough to warrant a mega contract although he's improved and really flashed at times. McClain, I would offer him a reasonable contract with some protection built in just in case he goes off the reservation again. I agree with Jiggy, it's kind of hard to gauge a guy who has at least been solid, sometimes very good when he spent so much time away from the game. That he came in cold and played as well as he has is actually pretty commendable.

I haven't paid as much attention to such things the last couple of years but maybe Lee's contract could be revisited as well. I love the guy but I don't trust his ability to be a consistent contributor for obvious reasons. You have to give him at least one more shot, especially given his current contract but at some point it may be worth it just to let him walk or dangle him as trade bait.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I thought Lee's contract was dependant on his playing time, to cover for injuries?
If he played x% of plays he got x ammount and if he didn't he would get loads less?
Did I dream this?

dallen

Senior Tech
I thought Lee's contract was dependant on his playing time, to cover for injuries?
If he played x% of plays he got x ammount and if he didn't he would get loads less?
Did I dream this?
It definitely had injury provisions in them, but I don't recall what they were

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Did I dream this?
Pretty sure I read that even though there is an injury clause like that in Lee's contract we still had to account for the max he could be paid in the salary cap so really all it did was save Jerry money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sure I read that even though there is an injury clause like that in Lee's contract we still had to account for the max he could be paid in the salary cap so really all it did was save Jerry money.
That doesn't make much sense. It should at least add to our cap in future years if we didn't have to physically spend the money. No way the CBA would allow for what you're claiming.

dallen

Senior Tech
If a player's "likely to be earned" bonuses are not not earned they are credited against the next years cap

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a player's "likely to be earned" bonuses are not not earned they are credited against the next years cap
This is what I assumed. Just like when a player earns bonuses sometimes they count against your cap the following year.

Top Bottom