JJT: Marinelli maniacal about Cowboys forcing turnovers

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Might be unpopular to say but has Rolando McClain kinda fallen off the past couple weeks?

I wonder if he's wearing down.
I thought he played well against the Colts, since then he's basically missed the last 2 games.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Might be unpopular to say but has Rolando McClain kinda fallen off the past couple weeks?

Everyon gets worn down by this time in the season. The younger players fair the best but if they have nagging injuries that saps them also. Conditioning is a key element to success in the playoffs because it mitigates fatigue and injuries. The younger the team the less wear and tear shows up.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

It's been a while since he had an overall good game.

His impact has lessened as the season has gone on.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Just imagine how good this defense would be if we actually had some legitimate pro bowl talent.

Just 2 or 3 players more, that's it. I bet that would make a significant difference.

Still, it's hard to be mad at what this defense has accomplished so far. They may not be a strength, but they aren't a liability anymore. They are helping us win ganes and that's something none of us thought would be possible 5 months ago.
Hopefully we'll start to get those 2-3 this offseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he came into the season out of shape and has been habitually beat up since day one. Perhaps a full offseason of real conditioning work will help him out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This unit had a very difficult first half vs the Lions. The first 2 drives included the big TD play to Tate first and a 99.5 yard drive. It was absolutely brutal. I was worn out. Im sure our D was too. They couldn't get the Lions off the field and the Lions defense absolutely stoned us.

17 points in the first half, but then only 3 points yielded in the second half. They don't play well from behind, but with some key stops and turnovers mixed in, this unit can keep in a fight. Then Romo and company come along and work their comeback magic.

kidd

DCC 4Life
This unit had a very difficult first half vs the Lions. The first 2 drives included the big TD play to Tate first and a 99.5 yard drive. It was absolutely brutal. I was worn out. Im sure our D was too. They couldn't get the Lions off the field and the Lions defense absolutely stoned us.

17 points in the first half, but then only 3 points yielded in the second half. They don't play well from behind, but with some key stops and turnovers mixed in, this unit can keep in a fight. Then Romo and company come along and work their comeback magic.
I hope it isn't too much to ask that they don't fall behind to Green Bay like they did against the Lions. Even if they can come back from it (which none of us are too sure about), I don't think my heart can take it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope it isn't too much to ask that they don't fall behind to Green Bay like they did against the Lions. Even if they can come back from it (which none of us are too sure about), I don't think my heart can take it.
Another cardiac stressfest might be the deal. Rogers can slice and dice secondaries with surgical precision. The last team to score and all...

kidd

DCC 4Life
Another cardiac stressfest might be the deal. Rogers can slice and dice secondaries with surgical precision. The last team to score and all...
I honestly think that's what the game will come down to. Whoever has the ball at the end of the game will have to score to win. This game may be like last year's Denver game with Romo and Rodgers shooting it out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's been a while since he had an overall good game.

His impact has lessened as the season has gone on.
Yeah, that's kinda more what I was hinting at besides just the last two games.

I was just talking him and Lee up as our linebackers for next year in another thread, but this has to be considered.... is he losing focus? Is he not able to hold up over a season? Or does he just need conditioning?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, that's kinda more what I was hinting at besides just the last two games.

I was just talking him and Lee up as our linebackers for next year in another thread, but this has to be considered.... is he losing focus? Is he not able to hold up over a season? Or does he just need conditioning?
I think what Booze said could very well be the issue, but still, I don't see him as this guy we absolutely have to sign and bring back.

I guess the good news is that his lessened impact should bring his asking price down, so if we can get him at say 3 years at 2 to 3 million a year, I'd do that and hope that all he needs is a full offseason of football under his belt.

If he wants more, he can walk. The way Hitchens has played combined with Carter's solid play of late allows us to look over all of our options at that position and not just put all of our eggs in the McClain basket.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing about the 99 yard drive is that our defense had them stopped. That running into the kicker was pretty deflating for the defense who had just forced the 3 and out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The thing about the 99 yard drive is that our defense had them stopped. That running into the kicker was pretty deflating for the defense who had just forced the 3 and out.
Yea, but letting Stafford run around for the 1st down a few plays later on 3rd and 8 as if he was Ben Roethlisberger was inexcusable.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think what Booze said could very well be the issue, but still, I don't see him as this guy we absolutely have to sign and bring back.

I guess the good news is that his lessened impact should bring his asking price down, so if we can get him at say 3 years at 2 to 3 million a year, I'd do that and hope that all he needs is a full offseason of football under his belt.

If he wants more, he can walk. The way Hitchens has played combined with Carter's solid play of late allows us to look over all of our options at that position and not just put all of our eggs in the McClain basket.
If I have to choose between keeping Carter or McClain, I'd take Rolando...and I like Carter. I think he's gotten a pretty shitty deal in Dallas.

You can find a playmaker in the draft or FA, but it's tough to find a guy who brings the heart to a defense that McClain has done this year. When the rest of the guys feed off of your intensity, that's pretty special. The kind of "leading by example" that never worked for Ware.

Funny to be saying it about a guy who's retired twice so early, but it seems like he's found his happy place. I don't think you can just tell him to get lost if he doesn't accept a low-ball offer.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If I have to choose between keeping Carter or McClain, I'd take Rolando...and I like Carter. I think he's gotten a pretty shitty deal in Dallas.

You can find a playmaker in the draft or FA, but it's tough to find a guy who brings the heart to a defense that McClain has done this year. When the rest of the guys feed off of your intensity, that's pretty special. The kind of "leading by example" that never worked for Ware.

Funny to be saying it about a guy who's retired twice so early, but it seems like he's found his happy place. I don't think you can just tell him to get lost if he doesn't accept a low-ball offer.
I'd like to bring him back too, but do you really think 3 million a year is a low-ball offer for a twice retired player who has played solidly at best this year?

The intangibles he brings are great and I am not underestimating that value one bit. I know how much that toughness and attitude has been missing from this team, so I certainly appreciate him helping to add those traits to the team. But with that said, it's not like he's had a great year.

He's had a solid year filled with injuries. Nothing he's done this season warrants a big contract, so I think 3 mill a season is more than fair. We've suffered from bad contracts in recent years and giving him 4 or 5 million a year is simply to risky a proposition for a player with a handful of questionable circumstances surrounding him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd like to bring him back too, but do you really think 3 million a year is a low-ball offer for a twice retired player who has played solidly at best this year?

The intangibles he brings are great and I am not underestimating that value one bit. I know how much that toughness and attitude has been missing from this team, so I certainly appreciate him helping to add those traits to the team. But with that said, it's not like he's had a great year.

He's had a solid year filled with injuries. Nothing he's done this season warrants a big contract, so I think 3 mill a season is more than fair. We've suffered from bad contracts in recent years and giving him 4 or 5 million a year is simply to risky a proposition for a player with a handful of questionable circumstances surrounding him.
McClain can't even make every practice. It's a poor standard for someone to take on a high contract, especially for a team that already has Sean Lee sucking money away.

I wish I could tell if Carter is really becoming a pro or is just trying for a big contract.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I worry that Carter is playing for money as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not sure what caused the light to go on, but he is playing lights out right now. He is tackling better than ever and is outstanding in coverage.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't trust McClain one bit.

Top Bottom