MacMahon: Cowboys' Tyrone Crawford battles against lobster and Lions

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Tyrone Crawford battles against lobster and Lions
January, 5, 2015

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- You won't be able to convince Tyrone Crawford that a lobster dinner is good luck despite the fact the Dallas Cowboys won a playoff game for the first time in five years.

The defensive tackle had to fight through an allergic reaction to shellfish just to play in Sunday's 24-20 win against the Lions.

"If you guys ever see me eating lobster or shellfish again, please slap me in the head," Crawford said.

Crawford had never had any issues eating seafood until Thursday night, when his dinner triggered a frightening allergic reaction. He experienced swelling and dryness in his throat, making breathing difficult and causing Crawford to miss Friday's practice.

Crawford, who had three tackles and batted down a pass, was still dealing with symptoms Sunday afternoon. He was only able to eat two pieces of bread all day, which he threw up on the sideline, in addition to dry heaving several times. He received intravenous fluids at halftime, which helped keep his mouth from being dry.

The Cowboys listed Crawford as questionable for the game, but there was never a question in his mind that he'd play.

"I wasn't coming off the field for this one," Crawford said. "They told me that they put me as a maybe to play. I told [head athletic trainer Jim Maurer], 'You can do whatever you want. I will be playing.' Even the way I felt Friday -- I felt like I should have been in the hospital -- I still would have played."

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Damn..that's pretty impressive to play after only eating 2 pieces of bread and throwing up on the sideline.

:lol

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Props to him for sucking it up. Not a good feeling and then to put on the equipment and play a football game. Other guys have sat with less. Serious props.

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd have gone with Tyrone Crawdad though

Top Bottom