Cowlishaw: Most important throw of Romo's career shows he's no longer playoff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowlishaw: The most important throw of Tony Romo's career shows he's no longer playoff liability

ARLINGTON — Through it all, even in the worst moments when his team was falling behind by two touchdowns and when he was taking more than he has endured in more than two years, Tony Romo kept his eyes on the prize.

Don’t give them anything to let this game get out of reach.

That’s what Romo told himself when the score was 14-0 Detroit at the end of the first quarter. It’s what he kept reminding himself after another sack and a missed field goal squandered a wonderful scoring chance in the third quarter.

And he never did.

Romo got knocked around just like his team did Sunday afternoon at AT&T Stadium. But on the game’s last meaningful snap, it was Highland Park’s Matthew Stafford taking a fourth-down sack and fumbling the Lions’ upset hopes away in a 24-20 Cowboys victory.

Yes, the Cowboys are still alive. Yes, Dallas is going back to Green Bay for the first time in the postseason since the infamous Ice Bowl in 1967.

And, yes, Romo was the winning quarterback Sunday because even while being sacked six times (he fumbled on one, but Cole Beasley recovered), he never turned the ball over while Stafford did three times.

Romo said he even threw balls at receivers’ feet to avoid the risk of interceptions.

“I felt like if we didn’t give them the ball,” Romo said, “they could never run away.”

The Lions led by 14 after one, by 10 at halftime and by six after three quarters. The Cowboys didn’t take their first lead until Romo guided the team 59 yards for a touchdown — an 8-yard, third-down, back-of-the-end zone toss to Terrance Williams.

It was Romo’s second touchdown pass of the day, and both went to Williams. The Lions kept Dez Bryant bottled up for most of the game. He got loose on a short crossing route for a 43-yard gain to produce almost all of his yards (three catches, 48 yards).

But there was no more important throw on this day — actually Romo has never had a bigger one in his career — than a 21-yard pass on a curl route to tight end Jason Witten on a fourth-and-6 at the Lions’ 42 with six minutes to play.

“You can punt there and try to get a stop,” Garrett said. “But I’ve got a lot of belief in the quarterback and the weapons around him.”

On the previous possession, the Lions had decided to punt on a fourth-and-1 at the Dallas 46. Coach Jim Caldwell either lacked faith in his offense or had too much belief in his defense, and the Lions — after failing to draw the Cowboys offsides — punted. In fact, Sam Martin punted all of 10 yards to give Dallas great field position for the winning touchdown drive.

The Lions kept the pressure on Romo as they had most of the afternoon, but even he knew things were getting a little easier in the fourth quarter. “Ultimately, people do get a little bit tired,” he said.

So the Cowboys kept grinding, converting the fourth-and-6 with the pass to Witten, converting a third-and-7 on a defensive holding call. They kept moving until on one last third-and-8, Romo bought time in the pocket, got a nice block from Tyron Smith to keep the Lions fiercest pass rusher, Ezekial Ansah, from securing a seventh Detroit sack and then hit Williams at the edge of the end zone.

“In critical moments, sometimes you just gotta do it,” Garrett said. “I think Tony just did a fantastic job. You’ve heard me say this a lot; he’s about the most physically and mentally tough guy I’ve been around, and he demonstrated that today.”

Romo is 2-3 now as a playoff quarterback but he didn’t want to dig too deeply in the memory banks to reflect on the other victory against Philadelphia five years ago. In fact, with the Lions in his face so much of the day, Romo said, “This felt eerily similar to the ’09 game against the Vikings.”

That, of course, was the playoff game after the win over the Eagles and the only other time in the postseason that Romo took six sacks.

We don’t know what comes after Sunday’s win other than a trip to Green Bay. We do know that the Cowboys’ quarterback position is not a hot topic as a playoff liability any more.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have say Romo sounds like a totally different guy these days, what he said about not giving them anything is something I have never heard him say before.

Maybe he just took forever to mature as a QB or maybe Linehan was the guy who finally got through to him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I have say Romo sounds like a totally different guy these days, what he said about not giving them anything is something I have never heard him say before.

Maybe he just took forever to mature as a QB or maybe Linehan was the guy who finally got through to him.
I think it's mostly a combination of maturation and feeling he can trust the rest of his team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

I think Linehan has great chemistry with Romo...he seems to keep him playing under control. Yes, he has a lot of help around him now, but if you watch when Romo is on the sideline, its Linehan that is sitting beside him breaking everything down. I think thats the bigger difference this year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I agree. Question is, shouldn't that always be the mentality of a QB? I guess better late than never, but geez.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I agree. Question is, shouldn't that always be the mentality of a QB? I guess better late than never, but geez.
Better coaching matters. It's been reported a lot that Linehan has been the first coach to actually get after Romo in a long time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Better coaching matters. It's been reported a lot that Linehan has been the first coach to actually get after Romo in a long time.
Maybe Romo's finally grown up enough to actually take some heat from his coaches without tuning out.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Maybe Romo's finally grown up enough to actually take some heat from his coaches without tuning out.
Since no one had actually coached him since David Lee, we'll never know if he would have taken to it or not.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Romo only was able to make that throw because the refs missed the holding call. OMGZ

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think Romo was ever a playoff liability. I absolutely hate that ridiculous false narrative.

He wasn't great against Seattle in 06, but playdd well enough to win.

Same with the Giants in 07.

He was great against Philly in 09, and was not good against Minnesota.

He had a rough 1st half against Detroit but was good enough to keep them in the game, and was outstanding in the 4th quarter.

He hasn't always been at his best, but to call him a playoff liability prior to this point is lazy and dumb.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't think Romo was ever a playoff liability. I absolutely hate that ridiculous false narrative.

He had a rough 1st half against Detroit but was good enough to keep them in the game, and was outstanding in the 4th quarter.

He hasn't always been at his best, but to call him a playoff liability prior to this point is lazy and dumb.
He has his problems but you don't post numbers like he has in the 4th quarter if you are a choker

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He has his problems but you don't post numbers like he has in the 4th quarter if you are a choker
Exactly right.

It amazes me whenever someone tries to make that claim. It's like, they are either lazy or stupid or both.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo can leave past behind

A win over Green Bay would put to rest any lingering questions about QB's value
Updated: January 7, 2015, 11:40 AM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- For so many years, Tony Romo has been the face of failure in the NFL.

Any time the Dallas Cowboys lose, folks head to their laptops and create Internet memes that poke fun of the quarterback for America's team.

They don't mean any harm, per se, but it's clear folks still can't get over the botched snap in Seattle in 2006. Or the ill-fated trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, in 2007 during the playoff bye week that preceded a loss to the New York Giants.

Or the games the Cowboys lost to the Giants in 2011, and the Washington Redskins in 2012 that kept the Cowboys out of the playoffs.

Well, they should.

Experience and losing have changed Romo. Stats and ego has long since stopped motivating him. Winning is all that matters to Romo these days.

Most young players get seduced by their numbers as they try to establish their place in the NFL hierarchy. Romo, whether he chooses to admit it, was no different.

But he has evolved over the past few seasons, becoming a better, smarter player. Defenses rarely fool him anymore. The game has slowed down. He sees everything.

Romo has been among the NFL's top 10-12 quarterbacks for years. He made the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season, when he started only 10 games. This season, though, he has become a truly elite quarterback.

Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and Romo are the league's top quarterbacks this season.

And if Romo can lead the Cowboys to a win over Green Bay and Rodgers, any and all questions about him should be shelved. After all, Green Bay is undefeated at home and Rodgers is the favorite to be named league MVP after throwing 38 touchdowns with only five interceptions.

Romo has never been more equipped to do it. See, for the first time in his 12-year career, Romo actually trusts all of his teammates on offense.

No longer does Romo feel as if he has to make every play. He can let DeMarco Murray do the heavy lifting on offense, which is why Romo has only one 300-yard passing game this season and has thrown more than 30 passes in a game only five times.

Murray, of course, leads the NFL with 1,845 rushing yards.

Romo can throw the ball up to Dez Bryant and ask him to make one of the incredible catches he regularly makes, or he can throw it to Jason Witten and Cole Beasley on third down.

Then again, he can go deep to Terrance Williams when teams pay too much attention to Witten or Bryant.

With that many options, Romo doesn't have to force the ball into coverage. He can simply take the best matchup -- and if it's not there he can throw the ball away, a tactic he used often against Detroit.

"I threw balls away and I threw a lot of balls at guys' feet because I wasn't for sure I could make the play or I was under duress and I couldn't get enough on [the throw]," Romo said. "I felt like if we didn't give them the ball, they couldn't get enough points to put it away.

"I could've squeezed a couple in, but at the same time one of those would've gone the other way. You want to move the chains, you want to score but you have to be smart."

We all know Romo used to be good for one or two passes a game that left you shaking your head because it made no sense. In the one season under Bill Parcells, the coach used to describe them as indiscriminate throws.

In his first three seasons, Romo did not throw an interception in only nine of 39 starts (23 percent). In his last six seasons, he has not thrown an interception in 44 of 84 starts (52 percent).

He tied his single season career high for the third time with nine games without an interception this season.

"If you're mentally tough enough, experience helps you," Romo said. "These games going all the way to the end just don't give them anything and at the end of the game just bear down and go do it."

Romo must protect the ball Sunday because Rodgers and Green Bay, which had only 13 turnovers this season, typically make few mistakes.

Neither can Romo if the Cowboys expect to advance to the NFC Championship Game for the first time since the 1995 season.

He's a different player these days, and the Cowboys are better for it.

"Tony is a tough guy," Garrett said. "He's mentally tough and physically tough. He's been a damn good quarterback for a long time."

We're about to find out if he's good enough to make the memes go away.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

My issue has always been, as you say, he did not play "great" in any of those games. He needed to be great for the flawed team to win, and he never was (despite often being great in the regular season).

For that reason I think people looked at it like he was playing down in the postseason and I don't entirely think it's an inaccurate classification.

data

Forbes #1
Just our luck, Romover will happen Sunday and all will unravel.

Top Bottom