Dez Bryant w/o helmet after "The Non-call"

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I keep hearing people bitch and moan about Dez being on the field without his helmet after that non-call, even Dungy and other national media members are bringing this up as a blatant missed call.

I don't recall what Dez did ever being a foul. I know taking your helmet off after a score is a penalty but I can't find anything that says players aren't allowed to step on the field without a helmet.

Am I missing something?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I keep hearing people bitch and moan about Dez being on the field without his helmet after that non-call, even Dungy and other national media members are bringing this up as a blatant missed call.

I don't recall what Dez did ever being a foul. I know taking your helmet off after a score is a penalty but I can't find anything that says players aren't allowed to step on the field without a helmet.

Am I missing something?
I don't think the players are allowed on the field at all unless they are already in the game or subbing in.

Carp

DCC 4Life
From Gerry Austin:

Austin said that, if Bryant left the field quickly, the inclination would be to not penalize him. Which meshes with the explanation from Sunday night that, in the heat of the moment, the officials gave Bryant a little leeway.

data

Forbes #1
Dez Bryant was coming on to be the punt returner, forgot to bring his helmet and multi-tasked by communicating with the referee before returning to the sideline to get his helmet.

Cotton

Staff member
Dez Bryant was coming on to be the punt returner, forgot to bring his helmet and multi-tasked by communicating with the referee before returning to the sideline to get his helmet.
:lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's basically the homer/biased explanation that I give my friends that are complaining about the non-call.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That's actually what a few media guys were saying Dez's explanation was...he was headed out for the punt, saw the flag, then started asking the ref why the flag was thrown.

then again, Dez doesn't return punts. :lol

Also said it is not a penalty if the player does not have his helmet on during a dead ball...which this was.

Probably got the benefit of the doubt either way.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
...oh, and Dez Bryant has a condition where he is not able to control the volume and demeanor of his voice. He sings lullabies to babies with angry black man fury, too. The only medicine is by wearing saggy pants at retail shopping centers, which obviously cannot be done during gametime. This is consistent with the history of cameras catching his seemingly angry yelling on the sideline over the years.

So if it seems like he was yelling at the refs, just be empathetic that this condition is not recognized by the medical association yet and Dez cannot get a handicap parking placard yet.
You were doing good, then tacked this on...lessens the original joke and has drawn an infraction.

Cotton

Staff member
You were doing good, then tacked this on...lessens the original joke and has drawn an infraction.
Yeah, he should have just let the first joke play out. It was pretty good. This one.. well.. not so much.

data

Forbes #1
Hai, guyz. TMSAW...remember this? We okay for hugs?

Cotton

Staff member
:tippytoe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Apparently Odell Beckham did basically the same thing Week 17 against the Eagles and also was not flagged. This seems to be the way officials handle it unless the player gets out of control.

Another way overblown issue.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently Odell Beckham did basically the same thing Week 17 against the Eagles and also was not flagged. This seems to be the way officials handle it unless the player gets out of control.

Another way overblown issue.
I've listened to the radio a lot today and no one seems to be mentioned the hands to the face by Pettigrew. I keep hearing people say that it should have at least been defensive holding but if we are going to talk about every possible penalty that could have been called on the play why is there no mention of Pettigrew grabbing the facemask of Hitchens.

Also I actually really liked Garrett's response to questions about that play. He basically said he agreed with the 3 officials who weren't 50 yards from the play. Ultimately the result on the play was consistent to the way the refs had been letting things go the entire game. There was a deep ball to Williams that the corner was holding onto the back of his jersey the entire way that wasn't called. The officials were letting the players play in the secondary and the refs did the right thing picking the flag up. This would barely be talked about right now if the flag wasn't thrown in the first place.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I love how all these "former" refs are coming on ESPN and NFLN saying that the refs screwed up the call in the Dallas/Detroit game.

Maybe that's why they're FORMER refs.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So basically people are bent out of shape about something that's not even a rules violation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So basically people are bent out of shape about something that's not even a rules violation.
It makes sense. During a game it isn't that uncommon for a guy on the sideline to step partially on the field to congratulate someone and things like that. Now it's not usually to yell at a ref and I certainly don't want Dez doing that but it isn't a missed call like some claim either.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All of this is actually about the Cowboys hate crowd. They are in the media as well. It doesn't matter what happens this crowd will always be detractors. The are yelling louder now because the Cowboys are being successful in post season. It chaps their hineys.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All of this is actually about the Cowboys hate crowd. They are in the media as well. It doesn't matter what happens this crowd will always be detractors. The are yelling louder now because the Cowboys are being successful in post season. It chaffs their hineys.

Top Bottom