Questions regarding Cowboys QB Tony Romo's back gone; they're now about his head

D

Deuce

by David Moore
Dallasnews.com

ARLINGTON — A Cowboys team that has done its best — or worst — to lower expectations over the past six weeks sunk to disturbing depths Sunday afternoon.

Tony Romo played so poorly that questions no longer concerned his surgically repaired back. They were about his head.

This was not an inauspicious regular-season debut. It was an inept one. A series of poor decisions by Romo and an early fumble by running back DeMarco Murray doomed the Cowboys to defeat before the game was 30 minutes old.

San Francisco’s 28-17 victory at AT&T Stadium doesn’t tell the tale of the Cowboys degradation. Owner Jerry Jones said he regrets that the team’s fans had to witness this performance — based on the sea of red among the 91,174 at the stadium, not all were Cowboys fans — and that he was disappointed.

He’s been saying that after more and more games since the middle of last season.

“This was not what I thought it would be,” Jones said. “I thought we could be more competitive out there, but when you start off like that, it’s a hard challenge to come back.”

Murray rushed for 118 yards, averaged 5.4 yards a carry and scored a touchdown. But the back who lost the ball only once all last season fumbled the first time he touched the it Sunday. Cornerback Chris Culliver happily returned it 35 yards for a touchdown to stake the 49ers to a lead before the game was one minute old.

“You can’t start the game off like that,” Murray said. “That was all me.”

It was all Romo after that.

The Cowboys settled for a field goal on their second possession when on second-and-1 from the 2-yard line, the quarterback audibled out of a run play and was sacked for a 9-yard loss.

Romo forced a pass into double coverage to Dez Bryant on the team’s third possession. It was intercepted by safety Eric Reid and returned 48 yards to give the 49ers offense the ball two yards away from another touchdown.

San Francisco took a 21-3 lead into the second quarter even though they had only 1:34 in possession time and didn’t run the ball once from scrimmage.

Romo came back and marched the Cowboys down the field to give his team a first-and-goal on the 5-yard line. Receiver Dwayne Harris came open.

The play was designed to go to tight end Jason Witten.

“By the time I spotted it, I was peeking out of the corner of my eye for Witten because we thought we were going to get him,’’ Romo said. “In that process, I missed Dwayne. It was a little different coverage than I thought going into it.”

Not only did Romo miss Harris, he threw yet another interception as he tried to force the ball to Witten in the end zone.

“It was one of those things where you couldn’t believe he actually threw it,” linebacker Patrick Willis said. “I just remember my eyes got really big and the ball got really small. I was thinking just hold onto it.

“It felt good.”

Romo threw another interception before the half was over. It was the first time he had thrown three in a game since the Cowboys ended the 2012 season with a loss to Washington.

The ragged performance sparked questions about how the team handled the quarterback in his return from back surgery. Romo didn’t throw in organized team activities or mini-camp and never practiced more than two consecutive days in training camp. He played in only two of the four preseason games and was on the field for a total of 48 snaps.

Asked if the limitations put on Romo in camp led to this performance head coach Jason Garrett said, “we’re not going to get into that.” Romo doesn’t believe it was a factor.

“I’ve got to look at each one [interception] separately and figure out what was going on and why I made those decisions and correct it,” Romo said.

Garrett offered some generic responses about how his team battled and did some good things. The Cowboys did outscore San Francisco 14-0 in the second half and held the Niners to 116 yards.

But the performance of Romo and the Cowboys offense in the first half made that irrelevant.

“I didn’t do a good enough job in this game,” said Romo, who had averaged 33.4 points in his last 11 games at AT&T Stadium. “I think our team played well enough to have a chance to win. I just have to play at a higher level.

“I’ll do that going forward.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo didn't practice he didn't participate in TC he essentially has just been sheltered since his last injury. It's no surprise he looked like a rusty gate.

D

Deuce

Romo didn't practice he didn't participate in TC he essentially has just been sheltered since his last injury. It's no surprise he looked like a rusty gate.
I'm not giving him that completely. Rusty is missing open WR's and general gameplay. He was most horrid at reading the defense. He could've maintained those skills watching film and just generally not being a retard.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I never did see the 3rd pick because I had already checked out for the day, but it couldn't have been worse than the one he threw in the endzone.

I mean, my goodness.....what the hell is he looking at there? It's not like a safety jumped out of nowhere or whatever.....that whole section of the endzone was completely cluttered and yet he still threw the ball.

To make matters worse, he threw up a soft floater too. It was just an inexplicably awful decision that has nothing to do with time played or lack thereof.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not giving him that completely. Rusty is missing open WR's and general gameplay. He was most horrid at reading the defense. He could've maintained those skills watching film and just generally not being a retard.
True but he is also mentally diverted still because of the preoccupation of his prior injury. He will either work through it or he will struggle all season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo spazzed out, plain and simple.

He has never been great at reading defenses. Most of his best plays are off of freelancing. Now he feels ghost pressure and his once great mobility is gone. Get ready for more days like yesterday if they don't reign him in.

He checked out of runs again as well. That shit needs to stop right now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I never did see the 3rd pick because I had already checked out for the day, but it couldn't have been worse than the one he threw in the endzone.

I mean, my goodness.....what the hell is he looking at there? It's not like a safety jumped out of nowhere or whatever.....that whole section of the endzone was completely cluttered and yet he still threw the ball.

To make matters worse, he threw up a soft floater too. It was just an inexplicably awful decision that has nothing to do with time played or lack thereof.
It was a long route to Bryant. He was double covered but Romo apparently thought he could go up and retrieve it. It shouldn't have been thrown but the time was short and it was a gamble.

D

Deuce

It's not like he learned his lesson either. He threw up another soft floater in coverage later in the game that Harris made a great play on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo was completely unprepared for the speed of the game. This is why preseason reps are critical, and more importantly offseason practices.

I understand resting his back was also very important, but we paid the price for it this week. He flat out lost the game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was a long route to Bryant. He was double covered but Romo apparently thought he could go up and retrieve it. It shouldn't have been thrown but the time was short and it was a gamble.
The safety made a great play, but Romo was a step late. He thought the safety had bit and couldn't cover the ground to get back to Bryant, but he helped by hesitating a split second.

Everything he did demonstrated rust. He just wasn't ready for full speed. Garrett needs to use one of the CBA's allowed full speed practices in pads this week. Whatever it takes, Romo must step up his game

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't think Romo is going to step up at all.

Not every game will be a turnover fest like yesterday, but I believe that this will be his worst statistical season as a pro. I already believed that before yesterday's debacle, so that only further reinforces my stance on him.

He's 34 with declining arm strength coming off multiple back surgeries. This shouldn't be a surprise.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So damned selfish of him. Jeezuz, just trust your fucking teammates, dumbass...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Not every game will be a turnover fest like yesterday, but I believe that this will be his worst statistical season as a pro. I already believed that before yesterday's debacle, so that only further reinforces my stance on him.
A
He's 34 with declining arm strength coming off multiple back surgeries. This shouldn't be a surprise.
Even if his arm strength is declining he has enough. The last interception traveled about 50 yards, maybe more.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Declining arm strength doesn't explain his repeatedly not seeing wide open receivers. That pick to Eric Reid should have been a TD strike to Williams. His following Witten across the endzone to eventually end in a pick should have been a quick TD to Harris. His third pick he greatly underestimated the safety's closing speed.

All three tell me he's not processing information fast enough, and that's mental not physical. He squandered great pass protection yesterday.

And Romo has become stupid when it comes to checking out of run plays. The coaches need to have some plays where they tell him if he checks to a pass he will be benched.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Declining arm strength doesn't explain his repeatedly not seeing wide open receivers. That pick to Eric Reid should have been a TD strike to Williams. His following Witten across the endzone to eventually end in a pick should have been a quick TD to Harris. His third pick he greatly underestimated the safety's closing speed.

All three tell me he's not processing information fast enough, and that's mental not physical. He squandered great pass protection yesterday.

And Romo has become stupid when it comes to checking out of run plays. The coaches need to have some plays where they tell him if he checks to a pass he will be benched.
I agree. He is physically and mentally rusty as well as apprehensive about his injury.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I agree with all of that.....but declining physical abilities does not bode well for a guy who was already prone to mistakes and wasn't the sharpest guy at reading defenses.

You'll see an all around decline in his play this season.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Romo spazzed out, plain and simple.

He has never been great at reading defenses. Most of his best plays are off of freelancing. Now he feels ghost pressure and his once great mobility is gone. Get ready for more days like yesterday if they don't reign him in.

This.

His best quality is his ability improvise, buy time, and make something happen. His footwork was appalling yesterday. In fact-- he looked like he was standing in concrete most of the day, throwing off his back foot, floating passes etc…

But-- the thing that is killing us-- is Garrett/Linehan/Romo refusing the play smart football and run the ball. I don't care who is actually checking out of the runs-- but they have been doing that shit since Garrett took office, and it continues to destroy our red zone/short yardage offense.

To be honest-- the biggest problem on this team is not a talent deficiency. It's the simple fact that they don't play fundamentally sound, smart football. They are out coached every game, they don't play with urgency, and they can't overcome adversity.

They get the "deer in the headlights" look-- from JJ on down-- like they're actually surprised that they suck. This is maddening.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Romo at top of Cowboys' blame list

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- This one is on the quarterback, so don't even think about blaming it on playcaller Scott Linehan. Or the suspect defense.

Even Jason Garrett shouldn't have to take the entire hit for the Dallas Cowboys' putrid performance Sunday, though we can certainly second-guess the head coach's training camp practice schedule for quarterback Tony Romo.

If you're looking to blame someone for Sunday's debacle at AT&T Stadium, then stick your finger in Romo's face. Poke him in the chest if you must.

San Francisco 28, Dallas 17.

Don't fool yourself, the game was a blowout from the start. Dallas trailed by 18 in the first quarter.

When the first half ended, Romo had completed 10 of 14 passes for 99 yards with three interceptions.

His passer rating: 51.5. Just so you know, the Cowboys are 1-9 when Romo throws three or more interceptions in a game.

So who cares that Romo finished with 281 yards passing, while extending his streak with at least one touchdown pass to 29 games. He stunk when it mattered most.

For the next week, all Romo apologists need to hush. We don't need to hear them on sports talk radio or see one word from them on a message board or any social media platform.

They've lost that right until Romo's opportunity at redemption occurs next Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

Romo, whose six-year, $108-million contract extension begins this seasons, looked like a player who didn't do much in preseason or training camp.

He played 14 snaps against the Baltimore Ravens in the second preseason game, and he played a half the next week against the Miami Dolphins. The Cowboys wanted to manage his health because he has had two back surgeries in the past year.

During training camp, Garrett gave Romo frequent days off to keep him fresh. No healthy player practiced less than Romo.

"I've seen guys have games like that that took every snap in preseason, so I don't have any idea," Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said when asked if Romo's limited preseason action affected him.

"I know he's got good health. I know he feels strong and is throwing the ball good. So I'm going to give San Francisco some of the credit out there."

As you would expect, Garrett had no interest in drawing a correlation between Romo's poor play against the San Francisco 49ers and his lack of practice time this summer. Neither did the quarterback.

Well, that's too bad.

You don't have to be a Mensa member to figure out the lack of practice and playing time affected Romo because the dude we saw against San Francisco looked shaky from the start.

Accuracy is usually one of Romo's strengths -- he has a career completion percentage of 64.6 -- but when he wasn't throwing passes late, he was sailing them way over his receivers' arms.

Any NFL veteran will tell you there's a significant difference between the speeds of a preseason game and regular-season game. Just like there's a difference between the speeds of a regular-season game and a playoff game.

"I think our team played well enough to have a chance to win. I just have to play at a higher level," Romo said. "I didn't perform to my standard tonight. That's disappointing."

Actually, it was his decision-making that was disappointing. Poor decisions led to each of Romo's interceptions, and not because he was under duress. The interceptions were the result of flawed thinking.

Trailing 14-3 with 4:51 left in the first quarter, Romo threw a play-action pass into coverage that never had a chance of being completed because safety Eric Reid never bought the run fake.

Reid intercepted the pass and returned it to the Dallas 2. One play later, Vernon Davis' second touchdown catch gave San Francisco a 21-3 lead.

Romo moved the Cowboys to the San Francisco 5 on their next possession. A touchdown would've given the Cowboys an opportunity for an improbable rally because it was still early in the second quarter.

Instead, Romo screwed up again.

First, he missed Dwayne Harris, who was wide open in the middle of the field. Then he threw late across his body into the middle of the field, violating Rule No. 1 in the quarterback handbook.

Linebacker Patrick Willis intercepted the pass intended for Jason Witten in the end zone, ending the threat.

On the Cowboys' next possession, Romo made yet another poor decision. This time, he threw a deep ball to Dez Bryant on first down from the Dallas 12 with 3:50 left in the first half. It was intercepted at the San Francisco 36.

The 49ers drove the 64 yards in nine plays for a 28-3 lead.

You could argue Romo's interception was like a punt, but that's the kind of throw you make on third down -- not first down. It's the kind of gunslinger decision that has been the epicenter of the criticism Romo has received throughout his career.

At 34 years old with 109 career starts, it's way past time for all of us to accept this aspect of Romo's game, which drives Romo haters crazy and Romo apologists can't defend.

It's among the reasons Romo remains the NFL's most polarizing player. And on Sunday, the Cowboys' most disappointing player.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
But-- the thing that is killing us-- is Garrett/Linehan/Romo refusing the play smart football and run the ball. I don't care who is actually checking out of the runs-- but they have been doing that shit since Garrett took office, and it continues to destroy our red zone/short yardage offense.
Exactly.

There is absolutely nothing to stop the coaches from telling Romo on any given play to just stick with the run call and plow ahead. The fact that they don't is just another example of the team's overall inability to commit to the run.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Exactly.

There is absolutely nothing to stop the coaches from telling Romo on any given play to just stick with the run call and plow ahead. The fact that they don't is just another example of the team's overall inability to commit to the run.
Yeah…. I'd actually rather see us completely implode than eek out another 7-9 or 8-8 season. This coaching staff is simply incompetent. With the exception of Rod Marinelli-- I'd like to see them all go.

But-- we're married to Romo unfortunately. He is what he is at this point-- an aging gunslinger, that is a step too slow now, and that feels the phantom pressure that he has to carry this team on his shoulders despite the fact that he can actually trust his running game now.

This has all the makings of a complete breakdown.

Top Bottom