Archer: Cowboys have four named All-Pro

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys have four named All-Pro
January, 2, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys did not make the sexiest pick when they chose guard Zack Martin in the first round of last spring's NFL draft, but it was the best move they could have made.

Martin was named to the Associated Press' All-Pro team Friday, becoming the first Cowboys rookie to be selected for the honor since Calvin Hill in 1969 and just the third in club history. Hall of Fame wide receiver Bob Hayes was an All Pro in 1965.

Martin was one of a league-high four Cowboys to be chosen. DeMarco Murray, who led the NFL in rushing with 1,845 yards, Dez Bryant, who led the league in touchdown catches with 16, and left tackle Tyron Smith were also picked. It is the second straight year Smith has been honored and the first for Murray and Bryant.

It is the most first-team All-Pro selections the Cowboys have had since 2007 when the AP honored Flozell Adams, Leonard Davis, Terrell Owens, DeMarcus Ware and Jason Witten.

Tony Romo received the second-most quarterback votes (three) behind Green Bay Packers signal caller Aaron Rodgers, who had 44 votes, after leading the NFL in completion percentage and passer rating. Travis Frederick also earned second-team honors at center with 14 votes. Kicker Dan Bailey was the only other Cowboy to receive votes.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
2014 AP All-Pro Team

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 2, 2015, 1:36 PM EST

Via USA Today and NFL.com, here is the first-team All-Pro squad as announced by The Associated Press on Friday. Fifty national media members compose the AP‘s voting panel, according to the organization:

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay.

Running back: DeMarco Murray, Dallas; Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh.

Fullback: John Kuhn, Green Bay.

Tight end: Rob Gronkowski, New England.

Wide receiver: Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh; Dez Bryant, Dallas.

Offensive tackle: Tyron Smith, Dallas; Joe Thomas, Cleveland.

Offensive guard: Marshal Yanda, Baltimore; Zach Martin, Dallas.

Center: Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh.

DEFENSE

Defensive end: J.J. Watt, Houston; Mario Williams, Buffalo.

Defensive tackle: Ndamukong Suh, Detroit; Marcell Dareus, Buffalo.

Outside linebacker: Justin Houston, Kansas City; Elvis Dumervil, Baltimore.

Inside linebacker: Luke Kuechly, Carolina; Bobby Wagner, Seattle.

Cornerback: Darrelle Revis, New England; Richard Sherman, Seattle.

Safety: Earl Thomas, Seattle; Eric Weddle, San Diego.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker: Adam Vinatieri, Indianapolis.

Returner: Adam Jones, Cincinnati.

Punter: Pat McAfee, Indianapolis.

data

Forbes #1
JJ watt got 44 votes for DE and 4 votes for DT. How does that work and did one voter name watt for both positions?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
As if Dez Bryant's next contract wasn't going to be big enough, now he can add "most receiving TDs in a single season–Dallas Cowboys" and "All-Pro" to his resume. Sheesh. He's going to cost a fortune and I don't see him reacting well to a franchise tag if they go that direction. Ditto for Murray and his "all time single season rushing/total yards–Dallas Cowboys" and "All-Pro". Not sure how he would react to being tagged but that might be Dallas' best option to keep him next season.

It is really nice to see these guys get their props though. Martin achieving All-Pro as a rookie is impressive to say the least. Frederick was pretty good last year as a rookie but clearly took a step forward this year to get second team. Romo deserves that second team spot this year but I'm surprised he got it. Good for him.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It's good to see credit given where it's due. There were still a couple of "Romo moments" early in the season but he was pretty much lights out down the stretch. Props to Zack making 1st team as a rookie, that's not terribly common for guys on the OL. Dez, DeMarco and Tyron, they let their performances speak for themselves and they were obviously deserving. I'm a little surprised that Bailey didn't get more love from voters but PK is one of those positions that people kind of ignore unless they're bad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm a little surprised that Bailey didn't get more love from voters but PK is one of those positions that people kind of ignore unless they're bad.
Our impression of Bailey is strongly influenced by last season. When you look strictly at this season's numbers several kickers had better seasons.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm happy for Romo.
I think it sucks that he only got four votes for All Pro. That means he has zero shot at MVP over Rodgers either.

Very impressed with Martin's honor. That's pretty significant.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Very impressed with Martin's honor. That's pretty significant.
He has been outrageously good. So consistent and working hard and smart to keep improving. I credit not only his talent but also Callahan's focused coaching and being paired with Frederick.

I was also surprised how well he recovered from an ankle sprain. Nice to be so fricking young.

Top Bottom