Watkins: Anthony Spencer on how these Cowboys differ from 2009 version

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anthony Spencer on how these Cowboys differ from 2009 version
December, 31, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- There are just six players -- Tony Romo, Jason Witten, L.P. Ladouceur, Anthony Spencer, Doug Free and Orlando Scandrick -- left on the Dallas Cowboys roster from their last playoff appearance in 2009.

Spencer sees major differences between the current group of Cowboys heading into the NFL playoffs now and the one that did so under coach Wade Phillips in 2009.

"No one expected it," Spencer said of this year's run. "It was more us against everybody else that type of mentality. With other teams we had a lot of hype going into the playoffs and into the season. This season it's been completely different. We stuck to each other and worked for each other, that's the way it's been and it's been paying off for us."

This year's group went 8-0 on the road while the 2009 team finished 5-3. That 2009 team went 5-3 in December and January and this group went 4-0 in December. It was the first time the Cowboys went undefeated in December since going 5-0 during the 1993 season, when the team won Super Bowl XXVIII.

"Every team is different," tight end Jason Witten said. "I felt like we got hot in '09 too when we played Philadelphia back-to-back. This team, going back to April, has had a mindset: It's about execution. It's about that winning formula and about putting your head down and going to work. Probably more so with any team that I've been apart of, guys are together, they're focus on it and what's going to give us a chance to be successful, we know how we have to play. The margin is very limited of what you can do and this team does a very good job of understanding and knowing what you need to do."

"Every year that I've been here, the team has changed," said Spencer, who has six quarterback pressures the last four weeks. "In some aspect it changed in some ways, it just so happens, I'm still here and a lot of guys aren't around."

townsend

Banned
Almost every position on the offense (including 2014 Romo over 2009 Romo) is an upgrade, Witten isn't as good of a receiver but I think his contributions as a blocker are vital. Since we were dismissed by the Vikings because our offensive line failed to play at a professional level, we look like a way better team. The defense is way worse though. The 2009 defense was exquisite, and if it had been paired with a dependable offense could have taken the whole thing that year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 2009 defense was exquisite
I think they benefited from playing some bad teams, but they were good enough to win. They still allowed too many big plays at the worst times and couldn't buy a turnover. In that playoff game, Brett Favre and Sidney Rice looked like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

What I like about the defense this season is their consistent effort and how their youth is bearing fruit at the right time. The Cowboys' O possesses the ball and the defense makes the most of getting that net extra series of rest by attacking and not making mental errors, especially after Orlando Scandrick's tirade in the Bear's game.

Dallas's defense has closed out games almost as well as they did in 2009 when they had those late shut outs. The difference is they are getting turnovers instead of sacks and it's fed the offense in turn.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The 2009 D was 2nd in the league in scoring defense behind only that excellent Jets D. It was light years better than this one.

Of course this offense is much better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The 2009 D was 2nd in the league in scoring defense behind only that excellent Jets D. It was light years better than this one.

Of course this offense is much better.
That team had Keef Brooking. Advantage: them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 2009 D was 2nd in the league in scoring defense behind only that excellent Jets D.
They were statistically better and more talented, but had weaker heart, energy, accountability, coaching, and ability to get turnovers (2nd in takeaways).

They also still had Ratliff playing out of position at NT, could get gashed vs the run or the pass when it mattered most, and were 27th in takeaways. Points allowed is important, but as someone mentioned when the offense isn't scoring points the opposition in turn doesn't need to score as much.

Don't get me wrong looking at the draft I'm hoping the talent falls on the defensive side of the ball, but I believe this defense has reached and is playing to its potential which is more than I could say for the 2009 group.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't get me wrong looking at the draft I'm hoping the talent falls on the defensive side of the ball, but I believe this defense has reached and is playing to its potential which is more than I could say for the 2009 group.
The 2009 D posted back to back shutouts to close the season.

This D couldn't post a shut out if it were willed to them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 2009 D posted back to back shutouts to close the season.

This D couldn't post a shut out if it were willed to them.
Washington and a failing Eagles team. Woo hoo. What does it matter when you allow 34 in a playoff game where you actually win time of possession?

2009's fail can be blamed on the OL. I get it. But the defense wasn't all it's touted to have been... Keef's punch 'em in the mouth speech not withstanding.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"Weaker heart and energy"? Come on, Rav. That team gave up almost a full TD less per game than this one (15.63 vs 22).

Booze is right, though, that team had way better pregame pump-up huddles.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Washington and a failing Eagles team. Woo hoo. What does it matter when you allow 34 in a playoff game where you actually win time of possession?

2009's fail can be blamed on the OL. I get it. But the defense wasn't all it's touted to have been... Keef's punch 'em in the mouth speech not withstanding.
Man you just love taking outlandish positions.:lol

And really what's your point are you trying to say this years D is somehow comparable to 2009?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Man you just love taking outlandish positions.:lol

And really what's your point are you trying to say this years D is somehow comparable to 2009?
They hold themselves accountable and I admire their consistent effort even late in games. When they screw up, they come back stronger.

I didn't get that feeling from the 2009 team. I felt they were talented enough to be better, but their coaches put Ratliff out of position, kept Ware in too long, and collectively they couldn't generate a turnover to save their lives and change momentum.

The Saints game, with Ware's forced fumble to seal the game on a big stage was a signature moment that never seemed to happen again. The next week they were back to keeping Victor Butler on the bench.

If I had to choose, then yeah I take that one. But this one plays harder, is better coached, and changes momentum by taking the football away.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with ravid. I would rather have this defense than 2009's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with ravid. I would rather have this defense than 2009's.
They still have a long ways to go before I would prefer this group.

Yeah, I get that they try hard and stuff.

I keep waiting for the reckoning where the clear and undeniable talent deficiencies come to light.

The odds are against them, if they make it then Marinelli deserves a fricking bust in Canton.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Washington and a failing Eagles team. Woo hoo.
A failing Washington team scored on them this year, so we meant to do that?

A shutout is a shutout. Back to back is an achievement. This group is physically incapable of ever doing that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

All of us were terrified of that failing Eagles team before the 2009 team beat them twice back-to-back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lets look at the stats from that 2009 playoffgame.

They held Peterson to 2.4 yards a carry, 63 yards on 26 carries.

Favre threw for 243 yards 15 of 24.

Dallas fumbled the ball 4 times.

Let's not act like that D just collapsed.

Top Bottom