Machota - Jones: Record 'is not an Armageddon issue' in determining Garrett's future

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Even though I'm not a fan of Garrett, if the proverbial light switch goes on and he drastically improves his game management and schemes, it would be hard to argue that he doesn't deserve an extension.

That's a big if.

Right now my gut feeling tells me Garrett will be back next season. We just have to hope that Garrett is one of those guys like Belichick and Carroll where it took them a handful of years to find their head coach legs. Granted both of those guys were decorated coordinators beforehand but I'm trying to stay a little positive here.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It's hard to imagine any quality coach here as long as jerry is in charge. What coach, with any skills, would want to come here and put up with the pathetic drafts and Jerry's meddling ways? Hell, jerry recently signed a player to the PS as a pure publicity stunt. What real coach would put up with that?
Parcells did it so I could see another quality coach coming to Dallas one day.

My main concern is how much power will this coach have in terms of selecting players and building his coaching staff. Even a HOF coach like Parcells had coaches forced on him by Jerry and unfortunately I could see Jerry doing that again; which would be a huge mistake.

Jerry has to at least let the guy pick his own staff in its entirety otherwise we're signing up for more of the same.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If Garrett was going to improve anything he would have by now. He's too arrogant to change how he coaches. He's just like Jerry, wants to win his way more than he wants to win. Only a stubborn asshole would abandon the run like Garrett did against Green Bay and after that he wouldn't admit he made a mistake. He tried to dump it on Romo when he called a check play instead of a running play and Romo checked out of it in exactly the way he was coached to. Accountability. Garrett will never admit his weaknesses enough to improve.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So he just hangs onto this turd because there is no high quality upgrade?

That's like hanging onto Quincy Carter because a Hall of Famer just isn't readily available.
It's not at all like that, but that wasn't my point anyway. If you are reading between the lines you can hear Jones saying this team could go 5-11 and Garrett still might not be replaced depending on why Jones thinks the team went 5-11.

My perspective would be the opposite... Even if he goes 9-7 and makes the playoffs I'd still replace him if you can get a high end coach.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know what would constitute this "clearly superior upgrade" I'd take a good coordinator or a retread like Dom Capers over RHG at this point.
Dom Capers? You'll continue to get 8-8 and like it then.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Parcells did it so I could see another quality coach coming to Dallas one day.

My main concern is how much power will this coach have in terms of selecting players and building his coaching staff. Even a HOF coach like Parcells had coaches forced on him by Jerry and unfortunately I could see Jerry doing that again; which would be a huge mistake.

Jerry has to at least let the guy pick his own staff in its entirety otherwise we're signing up for more of the same.
But that's what it takes. Another high end guy like Parcells to make Jerry step aside.

All this Dom Capers nonsense is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not at all like that, but that wasn't my point anyway. If you are reading between the lines you can hear Jones saying this team could go 5-11 and Garrett still might not be replaced depending on why Jones thinks the team went 5-11.

My perspective would be the opposite... Even if he goes 9-7 and makes the playoffs I'd still replace him if you can get a high end coach.
So...who is high end? Holmgren? Harbaugh if he orchestrates his way out of San Fran?

And let's be real here. Garrett goes 9-7, he gets an extension regardless of who is available.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I've suggested this before, Jerry probably understands that his personnel decisions have played a huge role in why the Cowboys are stuck in a rut. His accepting his share of the blame doesn't mean that he's going to change how he does business but I could see him allowing coaches to hang around longer due to his realization that he's a big part of the problem.

If the defense lets us down again, Garrett gets another mulligan, IMO. However if the offense falls apart that's when I think we'll see some changes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've suggested this before, Jerry probably understands that his personnel decisions have played a huge role in why the Cowboys are stuck in a rut. His accepting his share of the blame doesn't mean that he's going to change how he does business but I could see him allowing coaches to hang around longer due to his realization that he's a big part of the problem.

If the defense lets us down again, Garrett gets another mulligan, IMO. However if the offense falls apart that's when I think we'll see some changes.
I think you are right, but that was my point. No matter what happens this season, Garrett's future should be decided if we can get an elite guy or not. The defense shouldn't factor into that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, but that'd be dumb if a guy like Harbaugh came available.
Harbaugh was squabbling with Baalke about roster control. So why would he want to work with Jones and vice versa?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Well...if we had Manziel then Bevell would have been a perfect Garrett replacement. Nice going Martin.

hstour

Brand New Member
If Garrett was going to improve anything he would have by now. He's too arrogant to change how he coaches. He's just like Jerry, wants to win his way more than he wants to win. Only a stubborn asshole would abandon the run like Garrett did against Green Bay and after that he wouldn't admit he made a mistake. He tried to dump it on Romo when he called a check play instead of a running play and Romo checked out of it in exactly the way he was coached to. Accountability. Garrett will never admit his weaknesses enough to improve.
Well if he truly releases game control to his coordinators (Linehan and Marinelli) then maybe he does improve as a coach by letting those best suited deal with those things they are best suited to handle. Everyone uses the term "walk around coach" but I think of it as GM of coaching staff. Put the staff together, let them run their "departments" and oversee the results. That would be a best case scenario.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Harbaugh was squabbling with Baalke about roster control. So why would he want to work with Jones and vice versa?
Remember when Parcells had the same squabble and he still came to the Cowboys...

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
well if Red can't win because of inferior talent, then you gotta fire the GM, right? I mean, one of them has to go.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Remember when Parcells had the same squabble and he still came to the Cowboys...
Parcells was also getting raked over the coals in a divorce and could have made some discounts to get the cash.

Ultimately though, I don't think Jones would ever "lower" himself to hire a coach that he would ever surrender that much authority to again. He ultimately hated "walking on eggshells" and he loves what freedom he has right now.

I'd put money on if he lets the Ginger Loser go, he will get another lackey he can run over.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm betting Garrett gets an extension unless he just falls on his face. This division sucks. They'll be 7-9 or 8-8 and be right in it to the end. Extension time since Jerry is comfortable and not walking on eggshells.

Romo isn't going anywhere next year. It is something like $37 million in dead money if they cut him next year.
If they cut him him before March 2015 it's 27 million dead playing or not playing, and they net 400k in cap space.

So yeah, I could see JJ hanging on another year and drafting heavy-defense in 2015 because that's the lazy thing to do. If Romo plays lights-out.

They need to release Romo and draft a new QB in a QB-rich 1st round and get him practice reps and PT ASAP. They could also do it in 2016, but if they go 5-11 or worse this season then they can't miss the chance to grab an elite QB.

Top Bottom