Six Cowboys Named To Pro Bowl

data

Forbes #1
Here's the (article link)...If not for the trade up for Demarcus Lawrence, Cowboys would've gone Kony Ealy and Trai Turner.

-----------

It's one thing to assess a draft-day trade-up based on the picks sacrificed to acquire a particular player. It's quite another to attach names to those picks, and that's exactly what Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones did this week in detailing the club's move to trade the Nos. 47 and 78 overall picks to the Washington Redskins to move up and draft Boise State defensive end Demarcus Lawrence at No. 34.
Were it not for the trade, Dallas likely would have selected Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy at No. 47, and LSU offensive guard Trai Turner at No. 78, Jones said.
"I would say that Ealy was probably our next pick. Sometimes what you read isn't always true, in terms of the (Timmy) Jernigans of the world and people like that -- we really didn't have him in that mix," Jones said Tuesday during a conference call with Cowboys season-ticket holders, per the team's official website. "We really felt like we needed some help at the right end after losing DeMarcus (Ware)."
Ealy would have been available at No. 47, given that he didn't get picked until the Carolina Panthers took him at No. 60 overall. The Panthers also chose Turner at No. 92, well after Dallas' original No. 78 pick.
"We gave up, probably, what would have been a starting-type player ... we probably would have ended up, believe it or not, picking another guard there. There was a guard where we were going to pick there,Trai Turner from LSU, that we liked a lot," Jones said.
Cowboys fans can now tie the NFL careers of Ealy and Turner to that of Lawrence to assess whether the club was better off making the trade for what it considered to be the third-best right defensive end prospect in the draft. And why not? Jones indicated the Cowboys will do the same.
"We'll probably spend a lot of time -- because you like to learn from history -- are we going to be better off with Demarcus Lawrence, which we think we will, Jones said. "Or would we have been better off with Ealy and a guy like Trai Turner as a guard for us."

townsend

Banned
I like Stephen Jones. I'm sure he'll make his own problems. But I feel like he has a lot more vision than his father. A lot less need to lie to himself. He's not trying to sell me D Lawrence to protect his ego.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Stephen Jones. I'm sure he'll make his own problems. But I feel like he has a lot more vision than his father. A lot less need to lie to himself. He's not trying to sell me D Lawrence to protect his ego.
I think there is still plenty of time for Lawrence to become a stud. If you watch him you can see he has all of the physical tools. He is just a rookie that is still learning and trying to earn playing time.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Our scouting on the O-line has become spot on. Even the guy we supposedly wanted in this past draft has turned into a pretty good player already.
Yeah I keep coming back to the realization of how either we have the greatest o-line scouting currently or have been incredibly lucky.

Drafting 3 plug and play o-linemen in the 1st is almost unheard of they usually struggle at 1st if not outright bust.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I keep coming back to the realization of how either we have the greatest o-line scouting currently or have been incredibly lucky.

Drafting 3 plug and play o-linemen in the 1st is almost unheard of they usually struggle at 1st if not outright bust.
It's one thing to use a first rounder. But to hit on all 3 and hit big is a totally different story. You're talking about possibly the best LT and Center in football and a rookie guard already going to the probowl because of his dominance.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Is it any wonder we have the league leading rusher and continually give Romo up to 9 seconds to survey the field? This is the re-incarnation of the dominant 90's oline .

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Is it any wonder we have the league leading rusher and continually give Romo up to 9 seconds to survey the field? This is the re-incarnation of the dominant 90's oline .
Except they are young and apparently not insane drug-abusing party animals.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The 90s OL were not super human. They were good at run blocking and that allowed Aikman to be very efficient. It was the same make up this year's team used. The irony is that Garrett was part of that success mix and he would not use it when he became HC. The current OL is better in my opinion because they can sustain their assignments longer. Aikman had to get rid of the ball quickly and he did. He couldn't elude the way Romo can.

data

Forbes #1
The current OL is better in my opinion because they can sustain their assignments longer. Aikman had to get rid of the ball quickly and he did. He couldn't elude the way Romo can.
Claim hyperbole and we can move on.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think it only seems that way because our line has been so sub par for so long. Just can't take away from a Hall of Famer and if there wasn't a car crash it would have been more than one.. This group may make it but its too early to say right now.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it only seems that way because our line has been so sub par for so long. Just can't take away from a Hall of Famer and if there wasn't a car crash it would have been more than one.. This group may make it but its too early to say right now.
This O-line for one season may be better then any single season that 90's O-line had. But that O-line obviously had sustained success that we have no seen out of this one year. Of course having 4 of 5 guys basically 25 or younger means this O-line should be studly for a very long time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The 90s OL were not super human. They were good at run blocking and that allowed Aikman to be very efficient. It was the same make up this year's team used. The irony is that Garrett was part of that success mix and he would not use it when he became HC. The current OL is better in my opinion because they can sustain their assignments longer. Aikman had to get rid of the ball quickly and he did. He couldn't elude the way Romo can.
Uhhh, no. You might be able to say that in a couple of years, but not yet.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Uhhh, no. You might be able to say that in a couple of years, but not yet.
Yeah that's what they used to tell me when I said Witten was better than Novacek a few years back.

data

Forbes #1
Evidence #1. 1993 SB vs Bills and bruce Smith. Eight straight lead draws for a TD
Evidence #2. 1995 4th qtr NFCC vs the Packers and Reggie White

I have yet to see this OL crush the will of a defense against legendary players and top overall fronts the way the Great Wall did.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Evidence #1. 1993 SB vs Bills and bruce Smith. Eight straight lead draws for a TD
Evidence #2. 1995 4th qtr NFCC vs the Packers and Reggie White

I have yet to see this OL crush the will of a defense against legendary players and top overall fronts the way the Great Wall did.
The Bills were not a legendary defense, they just had one great player.

Also, there are no good defenses any more. The NFL made them against the rules.

data

Forbes #1

I said legendary players, not defenses. Aside from Bruce smith, though, they had other pro bowl players like Cornelius Bennett and Darryl Talley.

townsend

Banned
Our play against the Seahawks defense was great, if the team continues to be successful long enough we'll remember those kind of performances as legendary.

Jiggyfly

Banned

That was a very good defense, don't act they had Bruce Smith and a bunch of jags.

There were several multiple pro bowlers on that D.

Top Bottom