Cowboys: Frederick making late case for All-Pro

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cowboys: Frederick making late case for All-Pro
Mick Porter | December 20, 2014

Share by Email
PFF-headlinesThe Dallas Cowboys surprised many when they selected Travis Frederick in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. However the young center has certainly lived up to the team’s expectations through his first two seasons, with a +14.6 grade as a rookie, and a +14.7 overall grade so far this season. Frederick’s recent performances have marked him out as the form center in the NFL, and a potential All-Pro in 2014.

Since Week 10, Frederick has posted five consecutive game grades of a least +1.6, with a league leading +15.3 during that time period. The past two weeks have been particularly impressive with a +6.3 grade in Week 14 and a +4.9 in Week 15. League leading marks at the position which earned him back-to-back appearances on our All-Star Team of the Week.

Frederick’s best work has come in the run game as his +11.4 run blocking grade has helped pave the way for DeMarco Murray‘s remarkable season. However he has also held his own in the passing game, conceding just one sack and 13 total pressures for a 97.8 Pass Blocking Efficiency, sixth-best among starting centers.

townsend

Banned
I don't know if the DCC has died and been resurrected since then. But I really liked this pick, even though Frederick himself thought he was more of a 3rd rounder.

A center with size, strength, and intelligence was a big deal. I liked hearing the guy talk, liked his weight lifting #s, liked the fact that he was downgraded for a bad 40 yard dash.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What dumb ass passes on Johnny Football for a C with a slow 40? :unsure

data

Forbes #1
I don't anyone hated the selection of the player. I loved it.

We just could've gotten more value by drafting a sharrif Floyd and still got Frederick with our second.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

We just could've gotten more value by drafting a sharrif Floyd and still got Frederick with our second.
I was upset at the reach (not the choice), and felt they were "behind" as result and needed to catch up in other rounds. I got much more pissed when they reached again for Escobar in the 2nd. Getting Williams in the 3rd made up for a lot, and I felt the combination of Williams and Frederick was better than the value of the 18th pick.

What irritated me most was Dallas not trading up when Star Lotulelei was dropping.

D

Deuce

A lot of people use that argument, but I've said all along I'm not convinced he would have been there. Too much need along the OL for a lot of teams and there were quite a few that stood between us and our 2nd round pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A lot of people use that argument, but I've said all along I'm not convinced he would have been there. Too much need along the OL for a lot of teams and there were quite a few that stood between us and our 2nd round pick.
Yeah. I thought it was a huge reach after the trade down, but in retrospect, drafts don't occur in a vacuum. He was the "last of the Mohicans" as Jones said. Always liked the player, that wasn't an issue.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I don't see any way he would have been there at our pick in the second, either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't see any way he would have been there at our pick in the second, either.
Odds are he would not have been. This was a thin draft that forced the OL position since few skill positions worth 1st round picks were available.

Jerry had the right of it... he was probably was "Last of the Mohicans".

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Frederick not only has a great skill set on the field-- the kid plays the game the right way-- a trait that is getting harder and harder to find in today's athletes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I was on the totally opposite side of this but I agree. A good number of experts called it a massive reach and then people on this board freaked out that we could have gotten him later. I disagreed, he was pretty much always a late first round prospect and then suddenly a slow forty was supposed to make him a third round talent. Frederick was always by far the best center in that draft and I liked him better then a number of other O-lineman that went in the first. I think the Giants took one of those lineman I liked far less then Frederick in the first and were never questioned for the pick by "experts."

I hate to say it but during the draft I think the "experts" are always just chomping at the bit to make fun of Jones for bad picks. And in some years that is justifiably so. Sort of like the Ravens will always get the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, Jerry obviously did the right thing with the pick. This argument that you can just get a guy later doesn't hold water with me. If you have a guy rated as a first rounder you can't just wait for the third round because you "think every other team has him rated lower." That type of cute drafting has you losing out on the best players. It's also why I have no problem with the Hitchens pick.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
There's a balance of what is considered cute drafting and it's gotta be a case-by-case basis. Going to get 'the guy' has gotten us in trouble, too.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I was on the totally opposite side of this but I agree. A good number of experts called it a massive reach and then people on this board freaked out that we could have gotten him later. I disagreed, he was pretty much always a late first round prospect and then suddenly a slow forty was supposed to make him a third round talent. Frederick was always by far the best center in that draft and I liked him better then a number of other O-lineman that went in the first. I think the Giants took one of those lineman I liked far less then Frederick in the first and were never questioned for the pick by "experts."

I hate to say it but during the draft I think the "experts" are always just chomping at the bit to make fun of Jones for bad picks. And in some years that is justifiably so. Sort of like the Ravens will always get the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, Jerry obviously did the right thing with the pick. This argument that you can just get a guy later doesn't hold water with me. If you have a guy rated as a first rounder you can't just wait for the third round because you "think every other team has him rated lower." That type of cute drafting has you losing out on the best players. It's also why I have no problem with the Hitchens pick.
I hated Pugh and had him ranked below Frederick also, though iirc I had them both mid 2nd at earliest. I always hated that NY never caught any hell for that pick, think it was Kiper had him as a 2nd/3rd and then they pick him and all of a sudden he's a decent pick at 19(?)

Jiggyfly

Banned
I hated Pugh and had him ranked below Frederick also, though iirc I had them both mid 2nd at earliest. I always hated that NY never caught any hell for that pick, think it was Kiper had him as a 2nd/3rd and then they pick him and all of a sudden he's a decent pick at 19(?)
I never liked Pugh as well, but he was considered a late 1st by many, the funny thing is the Giants saved us because if he was available he was our pick. :budd

data

Forbes #1
It's cool and all to have 3 pro bowl WRs, a purple people eaters or a Legion of boom, but my favorite unit to be star-studded is on the offensive line.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I didn't hate the pick at the time but I wasn't thrilled with trading up to get him. Even if it turned out that Frederick wouldn't drop to us in the second, he wasn't the only fish in the sea, although we don't know if drafting someone else would have turned out as well. If we had stood pat, he landed elsewhere and been successful, I don't think any of us would have thought "Dang it, we could have traded up to the first to grab that Frederick guy".

In hindsight, it has obviously worked out and he has turned out to be worth that trade and a 1st round pick in the long run. Crow eaten.

Top Bottom