Machota - Jones: Record 'is not an Armageddon issue' in determining Garrett's future

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys’ 2014 record ‘is not an Armageddon issue’ in determining Jason Garrett’s future

By Jon Machota

jmachota@dallasnews.com
7:51 am on September 4, 2014 |

After leading the Dallas Cowboys to three consecutive eight-win seasons, it would seem that nine wins in 2014 could lock up a new deal for head coach Jason Garrett.

Many thought Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones would fire Garrett after last season’s .500 finish, but Jones decided to let Garrett finish out his contract.

Jones says he has a way of evaluating Garrett’s performance this season and a particular win total isn’t necessarily part of the equation.

“Jason as we’re all aware of doesn’t have a contract into the future. He does not have that.” Jones said Wednesday during a Texas Lottery press conference in Austin, according to The Associated Press. “But his record, the record is not in and of itself, is not an Armageddon issue with him. Is our arrow moving up? Are we progressing with the players we’ve got?

“We’ve got a lot of young players, not necessarily rookies, but a lot of young players who are involved. How some of those players come through for us is going to be significant, how they are coached and how they are prepared to play has a lot (to do) with my evaluation with Jason as we look ahead. It’s not just (the wins).”

While an 8-8 record and losses in win-or-go-home Week 17 games each of the last three seasons has been a disappointment, this year’s team might be fortunate to break even.

Plenty of question marks surround what was the worst defense in franchise history in 2013 and the health of Tony Romo’s surgically-repaired back. Even the normally optimistic Jones had fans pumping the brakes during a recent kickoff luncheon, saying the Cowboys have their “backs up against the wall” and are facing “an uphill battle this year.”

So what are his expectations for this season?

“Well, some of the very best successes I’ve been involved in were where you had something to prove as far as motivation’s concerned,” Jones said. “Secondly, where you were able to sneak up on ‘em. Now, we’ll sneak up on ‘em.:doh

“I do think we’ve got real motivation. We’re a better defense than we were playing at the end of last year. … I’m very positive, but I do know we’ve got a real challenge.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is "Sneak up on 'em" going to be the mantra for the first part of this season? :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Glory Hole.

Secret Sauce.

Sneak Up On Em.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What should determine his future is if you can talk a high quality upgrade into coming here next offseason.

D

Deuce

What should determine his future is if you can talk a high quality upgrade into coming here next offseason.
Wouldn't a coach who can put together a quality gameplan, execute it and actually have a winning record constitute a quality upgrade? There's lots of guys with that potential.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I swear to Christ, if we have another season without playoffs and Garrett comes back (on a new contract no less) I don't think I can take it anymore.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So he just hangs onto this turd because there is no high quality upgrade?

That's like hanging onto Quincy Carter because a Hall of Famer just isn't readily available.

And what makes you think the high quality upgrade would want to come work with Jerry Jones?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I swear to Christ, if we have another season without playoffs and Garrett comes back (on a new contract no less) I don't think I can take it anymore.
Anything short of a playoff year, then Romo and likely Garrett are both gone, I think. Even if the defense is the main culprit, Dallas just can't afford to keep paying Romo so much when the team needs help everywhere. His age and injury history seal the deal.

With Romo out you can afford to start the offense over from scratch with a new QB drafted in the 1st round.

Thing is, Jerry just might keep Garrett believing him to be some kind of QB guru, especially since it's mainly the fault of Jerry's inept drafting and meddling that coaches are so limited anyway.

A real GM finds the next Pete Carroll out there who's poised and ready to succeed. By we all know Jerry-- with him it's always the lazy way out.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Anything short of a playoff year, then Romo and likely Garrett are both gone, I think. Even if the defense is the main culprit, Dallas just can't afford to keep paying Romo so much when the team needs help everywhere. His age and injury history seal the deal.

With Romo out you can afford to start the offense over from scratch with a new QB drafted in the 1st round.

Thing is, Jerry just might keep Garrett believing him to be some kind of QB guru, especially since it's mainly the fault of Jerry's inept drafting and meddling that coaches are so limited anyway.

A real GM finds the next Pete Carroll out there who's poised and ready to succeed. By we all know Jerry-- with him it's always the lazy way out.
The Pete Carroll's aren't always readily apparent. He had a less than stellar record and reputation during his pro coaching career initially. He was essentially drummed out of the system and sent back to the college ranks. After his success with a college team he was tagged again in the pros by Seattle. It's not always an easy task finding "winner" coaches. Similar story with Billecek.

junk

Not So New Member
I'm betting Garrett gets an extension unless he just falls on his face. This division sucks. They'll be 7-9 or 8-8 and be right in it to the end. Extension time since Jerry is comfortable and not walking on eggshells.

Romo isn't going anywhere next year. It is something like $37 million in dead money if they cut him next year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The Pete Carroll's aren't always readily apparent. He had a less than stellar record and reputation during his pro coaching career initially. He was essentially drummed out of the system and sent back to the college ranks. After his success with a college team he was tagged again in the pros by Seattle. It's not always an easy task finding "winner" coaches. Similar story with Billecek.
I always thought Carroll was a decent coach, his run in New England was marred by the chaotic way Parcells left town and poached Curtis Martin. He was an awkward hire there anyway because the defensive talent Parcells left in New England didn't fit in Carroll's 4-3 scheme.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know what would constitute this "clearly superior upgrade" I'd take a good coordinator or a retread like Dom Capers over RHG at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or he thinks outside the box and hires to what the fresh trend is now.

College concepts are floating upstream now where everything from the NFL used to go downstream to college.

I even think getting a good college coach (like Carroll was) who is open to new ideas on how to work with the limited access to players and open minded enough to try new things can win in the NFL.

The jury is still out on Chip Kelly, but he had more success in one year than Garrett ever has and a lot of it is due to some of these things.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I always thought Carroll was a decent coach, his run in New England was marred by the chaotic way Parcells left town and poached Curtis Martin. He was an awkward hire there anyway because the defensive talent Parcells left in New England didn't fit in Carroll's 4-3 scheme.
That's the way it falls. Some good coaches are in difficult circumstances and some reap the spoils of others. That's why it is difficult to always land a good one.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And what makes you think the high quality upgrade would want to come work with Jerry Jones?
this is the better question. I have no answer either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we were to go to the college ranks I'd like to get David Shaw, I think I'd be ok with Sumlin too if they have another good year this season.

In terms of NFL guys, I'd like Bevell from Seattle or possibly Roman from San Francisco. I've also thought for a while that McDaniels could have a Belichick like trajectory where he fails in his first HC gig because he's trying too hard to be like his mentor and then gets a 2nd chance after returning to his mentor for a short period and is great, so I wouldn't mind him either.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It feels like the post mortems are already in the works, before the first snap even occurs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't totally hate McDermott in Carolina either if their defense is dominant again this year, I think most of it has to do with the personnel but we could do worse.

kidd

DCC 4Life
It's hard to imagine any quality coach here as long as jerry is in charge. What coach, with any skills, would want to come here and put up with the pathetic drafts and Jerry's meddling ways? Hell, jerry recently signed a player to the PS as a pure publicity stunt. What real coach would put up with that?

Top Bottom