JJT: 'Romo-friendly' offense reality at last

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
'Romo-friendly' offense reality at last

Monster line, reliable ground game and right playcaller driving QB's best season
Updated: December 23, 2014, 12:49 AM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- It was nearly six years ago -- February 2009, to be exact -- that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones first uttered the phrase "Romo-friendly."

Back then, it was kind of an obscure phrase in connection with quarterback Tony Romo, even though Jones did his best to explain it.

"Romo-friendly," Jones said at the time, "means let's utilize his skills to the fullest and make sure everything we do maximizes his abilities."

Now we know exactly what Jones meant. The Cowboys have wasted many of the prime years of Romo's career trying to make this offense "Romo-friendly," but they've finally achieved it.

The result has been easily the best season of Romo's career.

The 34-year-old has 32 touchdown passes and just eight interceptions, with a league-leading passer rating of 114.4, and he's had a better such rating than the opposing quarterback in 12 of his 14 starts this season.

More important, Romo has played his best football at winning time. In three December games, Romo has completed 79 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.

Can you say Romo-friendly?

Think about it: Romo literally has every conceivable toy a quarterback could want and a coaching staff whose philosophical approach allows him to use all of them.

Romo has a complete running back in DeMarco Murray, who leads the NFL in rushing and takes as much pride in blocking and receiving as he does in carrying the ball.

Joseph Randle has proved a capable change-of-pace option, with 12 runs of 10 or more yards in just 47 carries, while Lance Dunbar is more of a receiver, with 10 of his 18 receptions going for 10 or more yards.

Receiver Dez Bryant is an athletic freak who's one shy of tying the franchise record of 15 touchdown catches. Terrance Williams provides a constant deep threat. Slot receiver Cole Beasley has four touchdowns in the past five games and has earned Romo's trust in any situation, and Dwayne Harris is usually used on bubble screens when he's not being a devastating blocker in the running game.

Tight end Jason Witten is among the best to ever play the game, and his seven-catch, 90-yard, one-touchdown performance Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts shows what happens when he's not given the proper respect.

Gavin Escobar is a mismatch player who has four touchdowns among only nine receptions, while James Hanna is a good blocker.

Coach Jason Garrett persuaded Jones to use three first-round picks on offensive linemen in the past four years -- and the Cowboys have hit on each of them. Now the Cowboys have one of the NFL's best offensive lines, allowing them to be equally proficient at running or passing.

The offense has enough quality players that there's no need for Romo to force the ball into coverage. He can go through his progressions, make the correct read and throw it to the open receiver.

And because the Cowboys no longer have the worst defense in the universe, as they did last season, Romo doesn't feel the need to score on every possession. He'll take a sack or throw a ball away on third down instead of forcing the issue.

"There's no question I'm much better now than I've ever been, for a multitude of reasons," Romo said. "Football is the ultimate team sport -- to do things at the quarterback position you need help."

Having talent is obviously important, but playing the game the right way is equally so.

The Cowboys have rarely done that since Garrett joined their coaching staff in 2007.

They've thrown the ball way too much over the years, with Garrett, Romo, whoever was calling plays and a raggedy defense getting their shares of the blame.

That's all changed this season because of guard Zack Martin and playcaller Scott Linehan.

Martin, one of the best rookies in the league, gave the offensive line three cornerstone players -- and Garrett the belief that the Cowboys could run the ball against any team in any situation.

Linehan has been persistent about running the ball whether it's working or not, because, with opponents committing a safety to stop it, that opens up other facets of the offense such as play-action passes or deep balls.

The Cowboys have achieved offensive equilibrium this season, running the ball 50.5 percent of the time.

Romo has thrown more than 30 passes once in the past eight games. The man with a franchise-record 45 300-yard games has just one this season -- and that was 10 games ago, against the Houston Texans.

For Romo, less has been more.

Romo ranks 23rd in pass attempts (401) and 16th in completions (282), but he leads the league in yards per attempt (8.5) and trails only Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers (plus-31) and Denver's Peyton Manning (plus-26) in touchdown/interception differential.

"Tony is a really, really good football player -- he's been a good football player for a long, long time," Garrett said, "and when he plays the right way and in the right environment, he can be among the best in this league -- and that's how he's played throughout this year."

A Romo-friendly environment has made it a lot easier.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Coach Jason Garrett persuaded Jones to use three first-round picks on offensive linemen in the past four years
:lol talk about revisionist history

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys offense is kind of a throwback, but exotic in today's game. Yes, we have some empty sets and whatnot, but this is the Air Coryell offense. Today almost every team seems to have a zone read type deal in it that our old school offense is new again.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys offense is kind of a throwback, but exotic in today's game. Yes, we have some empty sets and whatnot, but this is the Air Coryell offense. Today almost every team seems to have a zone read type deal in it that our old school offense is new again.
The Dallas defense of the 1990's was also Air-Coryell. They used the "Air" to set up the punch in the mouth from Emmitt and Big E.

True balance makes the whole thing unstoppable. The perfect game from a QB is between 250-300 yards, with an occasional outlier above that depending on whether or not a long pass or two connects. Troy understood that and it seems that Romo has also fully bought in.

When they start throwing to the backs by design, the defense truly won't know what hit them.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:lol talk about revisionist history
No kidding. JJT is, besides being generally stupid, one of the many Garrett cheerleaders in the DFW media.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
What's revisionist?

Jerry went 20 years without spending a first on an OL. Garrett takes over and it happens 3 times in 4 years.

He had a hand in it happening.
You can argue that Smith and Martin were Garrett but he definitely had nothing to do with Frederick. He wanted Eifert and was downright pissed off Jerry traded down and ended up getting Escobar as a consolation prize after Jerry made him promise that he would find a way to use the second te this time.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What part did Callahan play? What about Pollack? I need to know this...my life depends on it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You can argue that Smith and Martin were Garrett but he definitely had nothing to do with Frederick. He wanted Eifert and was downright pissed off Jerry traded down and ended up getting Escobar as a consolation prize after Jerry made him promise that he would find a way to use the second te this time.
I think that's true, but he (as well as Romo) helped put OL on the map in the first round for Jerry. The guy simply wouldn't consider it before, then turns it into a first round priority. That doesn't happen without prompting/convincing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Martin was more BPA than overt target for upgrading the line. Which I applaud actually.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What's revisionist?

Jerry went 20 years without spending a first on an OL. Garrett takes over and it happens 3 times in 4 years.

Correlation is not causation in this case.

Garrett never wanted to draft OL before he was promoted to HC, he always wanted toys and weapons. I don't think he was as big pushing to draft OL as you desperately want to believe. We also didn't load up on OL like we were in a hurry to fix it, we took 4 freaking years to rebuild it. And as has been stated before, he wanted another damned TE instead of Frederick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Correlation is not causation in this case.

Garrett never wanted to draft OL before he was promoted to HC, he always wanted toys and weapons. I don't think he was as big pushing to draft OL as you desperately want to believe. We also didn't load up on OL like we were in a hurry to fix it, we took 4 freaking years to rebuild it. And as has been stated before, he wanted another damned TE instead of Frederick.
Well, Garrett has frequently talked about making it a priority whereas Jones demonstrated 20 years of disdain for the idea.

It'd be a mighty big coincidence. I'm not saying he was championing each individual OL selected (though I think he was with Tyron Smith), but I think from a philosophical perspective he got it put back on the board.

That is speculation on my part to an extent, but again, he always says the team needs to make it a priority, and then -- boom -- he became head coach and it was one.

So what, he had nothing to do with it? Come on.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Well, Garrett has frequently talked about making it a priority whereas Jones demonstrated 20 years of disdain for the idea.

It'd be a mighty big coincidence. I'm not saying he was championing each individual OL selected (though I think he was with Tyron Smith), but I think from a philosophical perspective he got it put back on the board.

That is speculation on my part to an extent, but again, he always says the team needs to make it a priority, and then -- boom -- he became head coach and it was one.

Garrett also said we need to be more balanced after a game(take your pick) in which we lost as a direct result of him getting pass happy and then -- boom -- he would do it again the next week so forgive me if I don't put alot of stock into anything he says

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

When he was OC all the premium picks spent on offense went to TEs, Roy Williams, and Felix Jones, and he's still obsessed with TEs as a HC. He also was HC when we rolled into 2011 and 2012 with the C and RG spots manned by 3rd string quality players instead of trying to shore up those positions. Now he's some kind of OL guru after all these years of not giving a shit about the OL? I don't buy it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When he was OC all the premium picks spent on offense went to TEs, Roy Williams, and Felix Jones, and he's still obsessed with TEs as a HC. He also was HC when we rolled into 2011 and 2012 with the C and RG spots manned by 3rd string quality players instead of trying to shore up those positions. Now he's some kind of OL guru after all these years of not giving a shit about the OL? I don't buy it.
Not saying he's a guru, but he obviously made it more of a priority than Jones did for 20 years. That wasn't enough early on (should have made it even more of a priority over TEs and the like) but the increase in attention to the position, even if somewhat of a slow burn, is paying off now.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not saying he's a guru, but he obviously made it more of a priority than Jones did for 20 years. That wasn't enough early on (should have made it even more of a priority over TEs and the like) but the increase in attention to the position, even if somewhat of a slow burn, is paying off now.
He may be more interested than Jerry. Which is nice. But it seems like the guy making those calls on draft day, including arm twisting Jerry away from drafting Manziel, is Goof Son, not Garrett.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What's revisionist?

I think the more important change would be McClay, and maybe Callahan, but keep on pushing. P-Push it real good.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Garrett talks a lot about things after the fact. He's great at taking credit for things after they happen.

Top Bottom