Archer: Tony Romo - Cowboys' Jason Garrett best coach nobody talks about

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo: Cowboys' Jason Garrett best coach nobody talks about
December, 22, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas – Tony Romo has had three head coaches since joining the Dallas Cowboys: Bill Parcells, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett.

While Parcells groomed him and Phillips let him flourish, Garrett has molded him more than any other coach.

That’s why Romo gushed with praise about what Garrett has meant to the Cowboys this season. With their 42-7 victory Sunday over the Indianapolis Colts, the Cowboys have earned a playoff berth for the first time since Garrett became interim head coach in 2010.

“Jason is the best head coach in the league that no one talks about,” Romo said. “I mean, he’s really gifted at his ability to communicate to his players. He’s got a great mind for the game of football … One of the best things Jerry has done was just stand by him and let his system, his mantra, his philosophy play itself out. I think that you’re seeing the dividends. You’re reaping the rewards of having him stay in place. Jason is going to figure it out. He’s as good of a coach as I’ve ever been around. He’s special.”

Since becoming the Cowboys’ coach on a full-time basis in 2011, Garrett’s future has been non-stop theatre. The Cowboys lost three straight Week 17 games to the New York Giants, Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles to miss the playoffs in his first three seasons.

He entered the season two games over .500 only because of a 5-3 record as the interim coach in 2010.

On Sunday, he became the fifth coach in team history to win 11 games in a season. Tom Landry did it 10 times. Jimmy Johnson did it three times. Barry Switzer and Wade Phillips did it twice. Sunday’s win was the 40th victory of his career. Only Landry (250) and Johnson (44) have more wins in team history than Garrett.

Once Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones gives Garrett a new contract when this season ends, he should pass Johnson early next season.

Jones still wasn’t biting after the game when asked if Garrett was coming back in 2015, even if it is a foregone conclusion. He has consistently said he wants Garrett for the long term.

“One of the things I’m proudest of the success we’re having is how it’s reflected on Jason and his ability to go forward as the fine coach that he is, but he’s developed a lot of skill,” Jones said. “He’s done what all of us do -- he’s improved, improved, improved -- and our fans need to have the advantage of that as we look forward in my mind.”

junk

Not So New Member
I'll give credit where credit is due. This season far exceeded anyone's expectations. He has them playing hard and playing with confidence.

However, I still don't think he brings any real advantage as a game day coach or strategist. And the whole change in offensive philosophy (which is the biggest driver to this newfound success) was largely driven by Jerry taking the keys of the offense away from Garrett. That could (and should have) happened last year.

midswat

... soon
Jason is going to figure it out. -- Tony Romo

Just needs more OJT getting propped up by great assistants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, just like Witten, I'd rather hear it from someone who is not a BFF.

That said, Garrett earned an extension, without question. He has some tangible results that aren't just Jerry's comfort level.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
However, I still don't think he brings any real advantage as a game day coach or strategist.
I have to agree based on what we've seen, though the absence of obvious negatives in 2014 is a good thing. He hasn't frozen Bailey this season yet. :)

I would like to credit this team's toughness to his coaching, but if that's the case then where was it in his previous seven years?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The "resiliency" has been there throughout. I think he has matured as a coach and frankly, has learned to trust the players a little more.

That and getting an OL kinda helps.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The "resiliency" has been there throughout. I think he has matured as a coach and frankly, has learned to trust the players a little more.

That and getting an OL kinda helps.
I'd agree that he's not really going to "outcoach" anyone on gameday to the point of looking brilliant -- at least not with any outside-the-box game strategy decisions. He's by the book -- and up until recently he was still trying to master that, even.

He's not gonna be the guy with the feel for when to pull an onside kick or anything like that.

But yeah, behind the scenes, he is quite effective. That is where he is soooo much better than Wade, and frankly, it makes him more effective as a HC than Wade IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would like to credit this team's toughness to his coaching, but if that's the case then where was it in his previous seven years?
When Wade Phillips is running clown camp and not making guys practice, it's hard to get your message out. There was a definite culture change when the head coach changed in 2010 and it has carried over.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But yeah, behind the scenes, he is quite effective. That is where he is soooo much better than Wade, and frankly, it makes him more effective as a HC than Wade IMO.
So what does he do "behind the scenes" that is any better than Phillips?

Oh yeah, you don't know.

That guy had two playoff appearances, yet there is this idea that Garrett is automatically better save the results.

Garrett just carries himself better and says the right things. That's it so far.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So what does he do "behind the scenes" that is any better than Phillips?

Oh yeah, you don't know.
I've said many times that things like making them show up to meetings on time, creating a professional atmosphere, etc, has an effect on their focus and discipline.

It's not the circus nearly as much as when Wade was here, and that is very important.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When Wade Phillips is running clown camp and not making guys practice, it's hard to get your message out. There was a definite culture change when the head coach changed in 2010 and it has carried over.
OK. Go on... (I want to be convinced here)

I've said many times that things like making them show up to meetings on time, creating a professional atmosphere, etc, has an effect on their focus and discipline.

It's not the circus nearly as much as when Wade was here, and that is very important.
Believable. But the history of being burned for believing is hard to overcome. I believed in Parcells, and he left just as Romo was getting started.

Top Bottom