JJT: Cowboys expected more from Melton

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas -- In his past four games, defensive tackle Henry Melton has played 108 snaps. He has one tackle and two pass deflections.

In three of those games, there's no statistical evidence he even played. The Cowboys expected more from the 2012 Pro Bowl player.

The lack of production has not gone unnoticed by the coaching staff. Melton’s playing time has decreased in each of the past three games from 31 plays to 25 plays to 21 plays.

“We need more from everybody; that's what we try to do as coaches every day -- and that’s get the most out of our players,” Jason Garrett said. “Henry has done some good things. He knocked a ball down against Chicago and almost intercepted a screen pass coming out of the end zone.

“He’s done some good things, but we’re always trying to grind our players to get the most out of them in practice so they can carry that to the games.”

The Cowboys signed Melton, hoping he could find the form that made him one of the game’s dominant defensive linemen a couple of years ago. He missed the past 13 games of last season with a torn ACL.

Perhaps, Melton, who's also been hampered by a groin injury this season, is still recovering from the knee injury.

Whatever the reason, there have been few times this season when Melton was a difference-maker. There’s no bigger indication than when Tyrone Crawford moved from defensive end to the three-technique defensive tackle, which is one of the key spots on this defense.

That player is supposed to be a disruptive play-maker. Crawford has solidified himself as the starter.

In his past four games, he has nine tackles, three tackles for loss, three sacks, a forced fumble and four quarterback hits in 191 snaps.

The Cowboys figured that’s the kind of production Melton would provide.

Aside from a brief burst about six weeks ago, when he had a total of 3.5 sacks in losses to Washington and Arizona, Melton has been a non-factor. The lack of production is going to cost him quite a bit of money.

If Melton is on the roster the first day of the 2015 league year, he gets a three-year $24M extension with $9 million in guaranteed money.

No way, based on what we’ve seen thus far, will the Cowboys pick up that option.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I rewatched the Eagles game and he looked lethargic, he was not moving his feet and showed little fight in trying to get off blocks.

I wonder if Crawford still starting made him realize he was not getting that 8 mill per and he kind of shut it down.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I rewatched the Eagles game and he looked lethargic, he was not moving his feet and showed little fight in trying to get off blocks.

I wonder if Crawford still starting made him realize he was not getting that 8 mill per and he kind of shut it down.
Damn. Good point.

Its a shame though because the guy has the talent to be a force at that position.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Damn. Good point.

Its a shame though because the guy has the talent to be a force at that position.
I will say it again, I think Crawford has outplayed him all season he has been consistently disruptive all year.

vince

Not So New Member
Hopefully he'll settle for a lesser amount here as a backup.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
I wouldn't want him back, even if he came for cheap and knew he was going to be a backup.

His effort has dropped the last month. And if it's because he is resigned to the fact that he's not the starter, then I'd rather just bring in a young, hungry player who will give it his all no matter how much/little playing time he gets.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't care. Want a bunch of bodies in the offseason so they don't need to bother with this guy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wouldn't want him back, even if he came for cheap and knew he was going to be a backup.

His effort has dropped the last month. And if it's because he is resigned to the fact that he's not the starter, then I'd rather just bring in a young, hungry player who will give it his all no matter how much/little playing time he gets.
Don't care. Want a bunch of bodies in the offseason so they don't need to bother with this guy.
I agree. Also, if his effort is slipping, he won't be back. We have a high-effort-level team for a change, and a guy who gets sad and won't contribute because he sees his big payday slipping away from him is not a guy we need.

Stephen Paea played for Marinelli in Chicago and he's young and coming off a good season. Wouldn't mind paying him to be the 1 Technique next to Crawford.

Top Bottom