JJT: J.J. Wilcox showing steady signs of improvement

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
J.J. Wilcox showing steady signs of improvement

December, 17, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- J.J. Wilcox didn't play well on Thanksgiving Day against Philadelphia. He’ll tell you that.

He played much better in the rematch, and it’s among the reasons the Dallas Cowboys are in first place in the NFC East.

In the first game against Philadelphia, a 33-10 loss, Wilcox played with too much emotion. He wanted so badly to make a big play that he was out of control and out of position. He chased the ball too hard, creating cutback lanes against the run. He bit too hard on run fakes creating passing windows in the Cowboys' zone defense.

Last Sunday night, he played under control. The results were superb.

His sensational juggling interception off a deflection on the final play of the third quarter set up the touchdown that pushed the Cowboys’ lead to 35-24.

“It was time for somebody to make a play,” Wilcox said. “A lot of people said we didn’t have a safety when the season started and I used that as a chip on my shoulder. I thank Jerry Jones and this organization for giving me a chance.”

Wilcox's forced fumble in the fourth quarter set up a field goal that gave the Cowboys a two-possession lead, while burning three minutes off the clock.

Not bad for a dude who didn’t starting playing safety until his senior year at Georgia Southern. Each game remains a learning experience for him.

“I thought he tackled really well and was very active,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s one of those guys that’s getting better and better every game he plays. It’s important to him. He really cares about it.

“I think he watches guys on our football team to see how they conduct themselves. He’s continuing to mature as a player and I think we’ve seen evidence of that during the season.”
----------------------

Sure this was probably his best game, but it still was not perfect. Watching him running with his back to the ball carrier and facing towards the end zone on Maclin's run was bush league. Even my wife was walking by watching me freaking out at the time and said "sorry to interrupt your tantrum, but why was that player running the wrong way? Wasn't he supposed to try to tackle him?".

Jiggyfly

Banned
It was great effort on his part that he even got him down, it would have been real easy for him to give up on that play.

You act like he was not also trying to get around a blocker.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was great effort on his part that he even got him down, it would have been real easy for him to give up on that play.

You act like he was not also trying to get around a blocker.
There are better ways to get around a blocker than what he tried to do.

He was all "Serpentine! Serpentine!" and eventually it paid off. Matthews was hardly bearing down on him, there were a good four yards between the two. As soon as Maclin squared his shoulders, he turned his back to the point his fricking head was facing the Dallas sideline. Sorry, that's not exactly exceptional form in term of defending an open field run. He basically was trying to delay Maclin until McClain and Church could somehow race downfield to help. It is only at the three that he felt he probably should try to engage Maclin. It was not a good play.

Get's the ol' good effort, good effort, when all in all, it was pretty idiotic as a sum of its parts.

Top Bottom