Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Chargers| - 8/7/14

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I think he's talking about the advertising overlayed.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If they truly wanted to get a pass rusher, they would have done more than insult Jared Allen with some idiotic offer.
If we were going to pony up the bucks for Allen, why not just keep Ware?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we were going to pony up the bucks for Allen, why not just keep Ware?
Because Allen was still cheaper than Ware given the cap situation.

He signed a very two million $15.5 million contract with Chicago. I think Ware was a couple million more per season.

I get that they needed to flush salary, but there is little excuse for signing shit like Mincey and McClain, especially right out of the gate in free agency.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Because Allen was still cheaper than Ware given the cap situation.

He signed a very two million $15.5 million contract with Chicago. I think Ware was a couple million more per season.

I get that they needed to flush salary, but there is little excuse for signing shit like Mincey and McClain, especially right out of the gate in free agency.
That's what I don't get, why did we rush to sign them?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's what I don't get, why did we rush to sign them?
Because they were cheap and they knew we couldn't sign anything until Austin's money cleared.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Mincey is like Nate Livings. He's a stupid signing in that he brings nothing that helps a team win, he is only an asset in the sense that he's better than a low end undrafted rookie free agent. While his current performance may be better than a guy like Ben Gardiner or Ken Bishop, those guys, even as 7th round picks, have more upside and I would not cut them to keep Mincey.

He's a negative as a starter and given the decrepit state of the DL in general he makes no sense as a temporary band-aid because everything around him is falling apart too. He should not have been signed, we should just rolled with the young players.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I will say this...the Bears bringing in Allen, Young, Scott, Young, Houston, and drafting Sutton is something I am jealous of. Damn...that is basically a line rebuild in one offseason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mincey is like Nate Livings.
The thing about signings like this are that if you do enough of them you limit yourself from having the money for an impact player. I'd rather go with young hungry players then to sign and keep the Danny McCray's of the world on the roster. With that extra money you may be able to sign or keep a player who can have a real impact on the game.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Mincey is like Nate Livings. He's a stupid signing in that he brings nothing that helps a team win, he is only an asset in the sense that he's better than a low end undrafted rookie free agent. While his current performance may be better than a guy like Ben Gardiner or Ken Bishop, those guys, even as 7th round picks, have more upside and I would not cut them to keep Mincey.

He's a negative as a starter and given the decrepit state of the DL in general he makes no sense as a temporary band-aid because everything around him is falling apart too. He should not have been signed, we should just rolled with the young players.
I agree with this. I wanted one good lineman instead of Livings/Bernadeau. I'd say the same about Livings/McClain. Livings and Mincey are the worst signings though, because they weren't even young when we signed them.

Top Bottom