Archer: Jason Witten produces in passing game

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten produces in passing game
December, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

PHILADELPHIA -- For as well as Jason Witten has blocked this season, the nine-time Pro Bowl tight end wants people to remember that he can still be a major part of the Dallas Cowboys' passing game.

Dez Bryant and Tony Romo were the stars of the Cowboys passing game in the 38-27 win against the Philadelphia Eagles, but Witten played a major part with a season-high seven catches for 69 yards. When the Cowboys lost to the Eagles on Thanksgiving, Witten caught one pass for 8 yards.

“It’s taken on a little bit of a different role this year and [I’m] always still really confident in that’s what I’m good at and I can help our team in those situations,” Witten said. “You get your number called like that, you’ve got to take advantage of those opportunities. It felt good. That’s our job as tight ends: Keep drives alive, get first downs and then help in the run game.”

Five of Witten’s seven catches went for first downs. He had more yards in the first half than he had in all but nine games. It was Witten’s shortest catch -- a 4-yard flip from Romo -- that helped give the Cowboys enough yards for Dan Bailey to kick a 49-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to put the Cowboys up 11 points.

“Jason was incredible,” Romo said. “Just the way he ran his routes and his ability to use leverage and then he had some juice and just showed some speed. He made it difficult on them. The way they wanted to call the game had to change a little bit just because of his ability to beat his man. It was just great to see because he’s been outstanding so long.”

Witten has 53 catches for 564 yards and four touchdowns. His numbers are not the same as he has produced in the past, but coach Jason Garrett laughs when people suggest that the tight end might be slowing down.

“Fantastic football player and he does it every game,” Garrett said. “Outstanding blocker as a run-blocker, as a protector. When given the opportunity in the passing game he’s a mismatch player. Hard for them to guard him. Always comes up with the big play. Always there when the quarterback needs him. He’s been doing it for a long, long time. He’s the best tight end in football.”

Top Bottom