MacMahon: Jerry Jones - Jason Garrett 'really just getting started'

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:flipIt doesn't matter if we didn't always average 2.5 ypc.

You said last night when we averaged 2.5 ypc yet continued to run it, that was evidence that sticking to the run helped.

I'm simply pointing out that at 2.5 ypc... Or 3 ypc... Or 3.5 ypc... You aren't going to be 10-4. Teams aren't gonna honor that and will back off because they can stop you with 7 or 6 in the box. That is what happened in previous years.

Not twisting anything, was just using your number as an example.

This year, it takes 8 or 9 to shut down Murray. And even with the increased attention he was at 5.0 before the Eagles game.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Because passing the ball was giving us a fighting chance and running the ball was literally resulting in loss of yards/no gain on like a quarter of the carries.
Didn't they keep running the ball against the eagles despite 1/3 of the carries being 0yds or less and Avg. under 3 yds. this last game?
AND WON

should have read through before posting.

Anyway balance gives you a fighting chance, ask any coach and their first goal is to make the opponent one dimensional, Garrett took care of that for them...

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't they keep running the ball against the eagles despite 1/3 of the carries being 0yds or less and Avg. under 3 yds. this last game?
AND WON
I think the point is if a team is loading up the box to stop the run and you only average 0-3 yards per carry it makes sense to continue running it to make the other team continue to load up the box and open things up for your passing game. On the other hand if the other team isn't respecting your run game at all and you are averaging 0-3 yards per carry there is really no reason to continue running it for 0-3 yards per carry.

The problem with Schmitty's argument of course is that he thinks we had no run blocking ability in the past which clearly is not correct.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the point is if a team is loading up the box to stop the run and you only average 0-3 yards per carry it makes sense to continue running it to make the other team continue to load up the box and open things up for your passing game. On the other hand if the other team isn't respecting your run game at all and you are averaging 0-3 yards per carry there is really no reason to continue running it for 0-3 yards per carry.

The problem with Schmitty's argument of course is that he thinks we had no run blocking ability in the past which clearly is not correct.
Prior to implementing the ZBS and putting actual running plays in the playbook, our running plays were mostly shitty draw plays where no one was run blocking. From 2008-2012, the run wasn't something we even took seriously enough to include in the offense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Do you even believe what you write? Yeah, he's gonna order Linehan to stop running the ball so much.

You haters have completely fabricated most of Garrett's "incompetence" and that's why he gets stuck up for despite only being average.
Jason Garrett has presided over at least two seasons of the worst run-pass ratios in Cowboys history.

Whatever the truth of his commitment to the run is, with Murray hurt, it is about to receive a serious test.

Can he commit to the run even when it's only averaging 2 yards per carry? Does he understand in his heart why you must run even then?

We'll see, but brace yourself for a lot of shotgun just in case.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jason Garrett has presided over at least two seasons of the worst run-pass ratios in Cowboys history.

Whatever the truth of his commitment to the run is, with Murray hurt, it is about to receive a serious test.

Can he commit to the run even when it's only averaging 2 yards per carry? Does he understand in his heart why you must run even then?

We'll see, but brace yourself for a lot of shotgun just in case.
Luckily Jason isn't calling the plays this year. But, the bigger test will be if Romo "kills, kills, kills" the majority of run calls and goes pass happy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Correct.

We had one of the worst run blocking lines ever.... certainly the worst we've ever had in Dallas since any of us have been watching (*with the possible exception of LT fan).

Anyway, I'm not saying that excuses only running the ball 330 times... I'm just saying it was a big factor. With a good OL, he's not running the ball 330 times, he'd do it more along the lines of what we saw in 2007-08.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Prior to implementing the ZBS and putting actual running plays in the playbook, our running plays were mostly shitty draw plays where no one was run blocking.
This is hyperbole I'm sure, but taken literally it's flat out fiction.

I have to question if you actually even could possibly believe that, if serious. There is no way that a majority of our called runs were draws. It was arguably overused, but in no way was it the majority of the called rushing attempts.

Top Bottom