MacMahon: Mincey a threat when he moves inside

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mincey a threat when he moves inside

August, 3, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Jeremy Mincey will start at right defensive end, but he is far from the prototypical speed pass-rusher the Dallas Cowboys want at that position.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli still believes Mincey can be a threat at third downs, just at a different position. Mincey will often slide inside to defensive tackle in Dallas’ nickel and dime packages.

“He’s got some real quickness inside as a rusher,” Marinelli said. “He’s got quickness, maybe not long speed. And real smart.”

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound Mincey has played end and tackle throughout his eight-year career. Many of Mincey’s 20 sacks, with a high of eight in 2011, have come as an interior rusher.

“I’ve always been a good inside rusher,” Mincey said. “That’s what’s kept me around the league for a while.

“I’ve got real quick feet. I was a hooper in high school and I use those same crossover techniques on the inside. You’ve got a short field of space. It’s a quicker route to the quarterback.”

Mincey’s interior pass-rush ability was on display during Thursday’s practice, when he dominated left guard Mackenzy Bernadeau in 1-on-1 drills.

Mincey’s ability to move inside gives Marinelli a nice rotation with 2012 Pro Bowler Henry Melton and Tyrone Crawford, another player capable of playing end or tackle in this scheme.

The problem is finding a pure speed rusher to play replace Mincey at right defensive end on passing downs.

-----------------------

:lol

These fluff pieces on dogcrap are hopefully coming to an end now that the games are starting.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We are so effed at DE. I can't remember the last time we were this barren at the position. Maybe 1991. Even then we had Jeffcoat.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
The only way Mincey is a threat is if he brings a switchblade with him

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We are so effed at DE. I can't remember the last time we were this barren at the position. Maybe 1991. Even then we had Jeffcoat.
And Tolbert. Leon Lett was a rookie, too. They had also traded for Casillas and Daniel Stubbs, and knew Chad Hennings would be eligible the following year. Basically there was hope on the front.

What we have now is fing desolation. I can't imagine Crawford and Spencer being effective this season. Lawrence's rookie year is wasted.

Melton and Okoye are injured, Mincey is average, McClain is a JAG, and Hayden is less than a JAG. It makes me pine for Josh Brent.

The only thing worse is LB where they are *hoping* Durant can put it together and start at MLB!

The only hoe here for some semblance of a season is to keep this circus off the field by running the ball and leading the conference in redzone scoring percentage.

Maybe that gets them within striking distance of the playoffs late in the year when guys like Crawford, Spencer, and Melton play through their injuries and we maybe get Lawrence for a few snaps and even (can't believe I'm saying it) Sean Lee and Josh Brent added to the roster.

That's the most maybes I've put together for a Dallas team in years, which is saying alot.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just sit back and be entertained.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Reminds me of a Hee Haw number.

"Gloom and doom and misery on me. Deep dark depression excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.. Gloom and doom and misery on me.
Some should adapt this as their Cowboys fight song.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

"Gloom and doom and misery on me. Deep dark depression excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.. Gloom and doom and misery on me.
:jerry

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Until the light starts getting brighter, you can expect the same from fan expectations of this team. Why would you not? Nothing has changed, and we will still have RHG and Jerry steering the boat. How is there any possibility for optimism right now?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Until the light starts getting brighter, you can expect the same from fan expectations of this team. Why would you not? Nothing has changed, and we will still have RHG and Jerry steering the boat. How is there any possibility for optimism right now?
Just hoping man.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol

No matter the topic, you find a way to work your LB rant in. You're turning into Schmitty with his anti-CB fetish.
It's where my thoughts take me when we discuss the DL. I think about the line, then I shudder and think of solutions and alternatives, then I think OK, it sucks but at least backing them up we have... absolutely nothing. Cue the LB "rant". Then I realize they are going to have to rotate 15-16 and hope freshness in the 4th quarter give us a chance to win.

It's all about a chance to win because I can't imagine these 3-13 predictions are true.

Top Bottom