Archer: Five Wonders - Henry Melton's status

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Five Wonders: Henry Melton's status
December, 9, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys return to work today for the first time since beating the Chicago Bears last week. Many are wondering if the Cowboys can make the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

We have Five Wonders, like we do every Tuesday.

On to the Wonders:

With DeMarcus Lawrence healthier and Josh Brent active for the first time in the Bears’ game, I wonder if Henry Melton will be active this week against the Philadelphia Eagles. Crazy? Maybe not. Melton leads the Cowboys in sacks with five and he had a nifty pass breakup against Chicago. He’s shown he can play tackle and end, but the feeling around Valley Ranch the past few weeks is that the coaches need and want more. Maybe it would serve as a wake-up call if it happened. He has gone four straight games without a sack and has not been affecting the play as much in recent games. It would be a gutsy move, but these coaches have not been afraid to do things like this the past couple of years. Stay tuned.

When Joseph Randle hopscotched his way into the end zone with a 17-yard touchdown run on his only carry against the Bears, I leaned over to colleague Jean-Jacques Taylor and said, ‘That might be why the Cowboys don’t pay DeMarco Murray $6 million a year next year.” True story. You can ask him. And I legitimately wonder if the Cowboys will look at Randle and a possible draft pick as a more economical way to handle the running back spot in 2015 and produce something close to what Murray has done. I believe Murray should be an MVP candidate. I think he has been tremendous, but I would also be leery about paying a running back big, big money. In his last 10 carries Randle has 89 yards and two touchdowns. The running back class in this year’s draft could be stacked. The Cowboys might not be able to keep everybody they want to keep.

I wonder if the longer it goes that Jason Garrett does not receive a contract extension this season, the more it means he might not be back in 2015, winning record or no winning record. I was on record earlier in the season that the time was right for Jerry Jones to give Garrett a new deal to take away the uncertainty. That hasn’t happened, but that hasn’t happened for free agents to be like Murray, Dez Bryant, Rolando McClain and Doug Free, either. Jones has let everybody roll out there with their futures on the line and they have all produced, by and large. But at some point doesn’t he have to take care of the coach? I mentioned this earlier in the year: If the Cowboys make the playoffs, then Garrett could become a hot commodity for another team looking for a coach. He has done a nice job rebuilding and trying to win at the same time. I think he deserves to see this thing through.

I wonder what is more likely to happen: the Seattle Seahawks lose one of their final three or the Detroit Lions lose two of their final three. Remember, the Cowboys are out of the playoffs at the moment because they are in a three-way tie with the Seahawks and Lions. They have better conference records and thus own the tiebreaker. The Cowboys’ head-to-head win against Seattle is meaningless in a three-way tie. If the Cowboys don’t win their last three games, they would need Seattle and/or Detroit to lose. The Seahawks have a harder schedule with San Francisco, Arizona and St. Louis left. The Lions have Minnesota, Chicago and Green Bay. I don’t see any of them running the table, but I do think 11 wins will be needed to make the playoffs.

I wonder if this is the week Dwayne Harris breaks a punt return for a touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles. He’s been more dangerous in the past two games and had one called back against the Bears. Philly is giving up just 8.5 yards per return but it did allow a 75-yarder for a touchdown this season. Special-teams touchdowns play big parts in wins, especially late in the season when field position is at a premium. It’s just a hunch, but look out for Harris this week.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bench your best DL in a must win game to send some sort of bizarre message? Brilliant.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Bench your best DL in a must win game to send some sort of bizarre message? Brilliant.
That's what I was thinking.

Instead of moving him around, leave him at DT where he belongs. It makes no sense to start moving him around just as he was getting into a groove.

Idiots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking.

Instead of moving him around, leave him at DT where he belongs. It makes no sense to start moving him around just as he was getting into a groove.

Idiots.
If anything I'd like to see some situations where Crawford and Melton are both on the field at DT. I get that it makes us vulnerable to the run but those two make for a pretty dynamic pass rushing combo at DT.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If anything I'd like to see some situations where Crawford and Melton are both on the field at DT. I get that it makes us vulnerable to the run but those two make for a pretty dynamic pass rushing combo at DT.
Absolutely.

Assuming everyone is healthy and ready to go, our 3rd down line should always consist of Lawrence, Crawford, Melton and Spencer. That is the best pass rushing group we can put together, but yet, they are rarely ever on the field together even on passing downs.

Far too often, it's Mincey and Selvie at the ends, neither of which have any pass rushing ability whatsoever.

Makes no sense to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely.

Assuming everyone is healthy and ready to go, our 3rd down line should always consist of Lawrence, Crawford, Melton and Spencer. That is the best pass rushing group we can put together, but yet, they are rarely ever on the field together even on passing downs.

Far too often, it's Mincey and Selvie at the ends, neither of which have any pass rushing ability whatsoever.

Makes no sense to me.
We see way too much Mincey and Selvie with Golden Cock on the field. Now it was nice to see Brent get some serious rotation in there but he is a run stuffer. Against teams like the Eagles I'm not sure he has enough endurance to get much playing time.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
The Joseph Randle comments is very interesting. I like everything I've seen from him this year. I think bringing him and a rookie RB in for next season would be sufficient as long as it means Dez comes back with a contract or we can get a few good defensive free agents. This offseason will be our most interesting in a long time for sure.

kidd

DCC 4Life
The Joseph Randle comments is very interesting. I like everything I've seen from him this year. I think bringing him and a rookie RB in for next season would be sufficient as long as it means Dez comes back with a contract or we can get a few good defensive free agents. This offseason will be our most interesting in a long time for sure.
Agreed. I know he hasn't fumbled in a while but I still see him carrying the ball like a loaf of bread.

If given a choice on who to give a contract to, I'm picking Dez.

Dez is much more special.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think it's foolhardy to take our #2 asset and the biggest reason we have our first winning season in years (our dominant running game) and screw around with it.

I wouldn't be unreasonable with his contract or just rubber stamp it, but I would make it a pretty big priority to bring Murray back.

We don't know if Randle can produce on a full time basis anywhere near what Murray has (I have serious doubts) and college running backs are complete unknowns in the pros for the most part.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Murray is just 26. Bring him back with a 4 year contract and a 5th year option. Also draft a RB
Time to let Doug Free walk unless the price is right. Draft a RT in the 3rd round or sign a journeyman RG or RT, moving Martin if needed.
Franchise Dez or pay the market value. Fuck it he's worth it.
Re-sign Melton to a 3 year deal and also draft a DT.
Sign Rolando McClain to a 5 year contract with incentives.

We must make a tough decision about Jason Witten. There are multiple young tight ends on the roster who can produce when given the chance, Witten isn't producing this season, he's aging, and his 2015 cap number os 8.5 mil.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Murray is just 26. Bring him back with a 4 year contract and a 5th year option. Also draft a RB
Time to let Doug Free walk unless the price is right. Draft a RT in the 3rd round or sign a journeyman RG or RT, moving Martin if needed.
Franchise Dez or pay the market value. Fuck it he's worth it.
Re-sign Melton to a 3 year deal and also draft a DT.
Sign Rolando McClain to a 5 year contract with incentives.

We must make a tough decision about Jason Witten. There are multiple young tight ends on the roster who can produce when given the chance, Witten isn't producing this season, he's aging, and his 2015 cap number os 8.5 mil.
Do you really want to mess with the chemistry of this line?

And if you think it will be as easy as drafting somebody in the 3rd to replace him I really don't know what to say, I really don't think people realize how lucky we have been that all of these 1st round picks have worked out so well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Only way I let Free walk is if he asks for the bank, which I highly doubt he does.

Top Bottom