The Great Police Work Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, about 1% of their time they actually get to act in a situation that could conceivably protect someone. The other 99%, they bully, harass and intimidate the public. I guess that's to keep the "radicals" in line.
Do you think a traffic stop where a person is speeding or running a red light works towards keeping the public safe?

jeebs

Brand New Member
Do you think a traffic stop where a person is speeding or running a red light works towards keeping the public safe?
I think he would say the "traffic stop" is dangerous, while the punishment (which is a deterrent) could be better administered by a camera, computer, and a postman.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he would say the "traffic stop" is dangerous, while the punishment (which is a deterrent) could be better administered by a camera, computer, and a postman.
Didn't answer the question.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not really. Those things are mostly to generate revenue. That's why speed traps exist. Bad drivers are going to be bad drivers whether the county makes some money off them or not. Drug addicts are going to do drugs whether the cops beat the shit out of them and kill their dealers in raids or not. Mostly cops go around starting trouble and causing conflict. That's part of why they don't show up for half an hour when a shooting takes place. That's why police departments let backlogs of rape kits stack up into the thousands. They are spending their time and money screwing with people when they should be actually investigating crimes and protecting the public.

There are a few things they do regularly that are helpful. Responding to domestic violence calls and reports of drunk drivers, for instance. But most of their time is still cruising around looking to either write tickets or find a minority or young person to shake down and aggressively interrogate for crimes like "walking".

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Anyone who has ever had a red light camera ticket from a time they don't remember and can't discuss it with a human being who might be willing to let them off with a warning is against traffic camera enforcement.

Shit, I guess I live a really boring life if I haven't had multiple encounters with aggressive cops. It is an epidemic for DCC posters apparently. Stay strong brothers.

Teh bubble!

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Anyone who has ever had a red light camera ticket from a time they don't remember and can't discuss it with a human being who might be willing to let them off with a warning is against traffic camera enforcement.

Shit, I guess I live a really boring life if I haven't had multiple encounters with aggressive cops. It is an epidemic for DCC posters apparently. Stay strong brothers.

Teh bubble!
The times I've been to Houston I've barely seen police, same when I go to San Antonio. Spend a little time in shit-kicker speed trap towns with local police who barely made it through a high school and got their job from family connections and bitter State Troopers exiled to write radar tickets until retirement. In my experience, the latter are worse.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, about 1% of their time they actually get to act in a situation that could conceivably protect someone. The other 99%, they bully, harass and intimidate the public. I guess that's to keep the "radicals" in line.
Got a link on those percentages? I'd love to see 'em.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Teh bubble!
I've been in more than my fair share of legal trouble over the years, and have had a lot of encounters with policeman. But strangely enough, I can't ever recall being harassed or worse by them.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The times I've been to Houston I've barely seen police, same when I go to San Antonio. Spend a little time in shit-kicker speed trap towns with local police who barely made it through a high school and got their job from family connections and bitter State Troopers exiled to write radar tickets until retirement. In my experience, the latter are worse.
Oh, so you're basically describing North Dakota.

Nope. Still haven't seen it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think alot of negative opinions in this thread of cops are based on 80s Seagal and Swayze movies.

Cotton

Staff member
Not really. Those things are mostly to generate revenue. That's why speed traps exist. Bad drivers are going to be bad drivers whether the county makes some money off them or not. Drug addicts are going to do drugs whether the cops beat the shit out of them and kill their dealers in raids or not. Mostly cops go around starting trouble and causing conflict. That's part of why they don't show up for half an hour when a shooting takes place. That's why police departments let backlogs of rape kits stack up into the thousands. They are spending their time and money screwing with people when they should be actually investigating crimes and protecting the public.

There are a few things they do regularly that are helpful. Responding to domestic violence calls and reports of drunk drivers, for instance. But most of their time is still cruising around looking to either write tickets or find a minority or young person to shake down and aggressively interrogate for crimes like "walking".
That's all I needed to read before skipping the rest of your post and moving on.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, so you're basically describing North Dakota.

Nope. Still haven't seen it.
I haven't either. And, I was raised in towns ranging from 800 people up to a whopping 3k in East Texas and still have not seen the infamous shit kicker cop who spends 99% of his time hunting down neckbeards to harass.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
View attachment 186

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) -
“You think if anyone is going to break into your vehicle in Ybor, the last person you think, it’s going to be the cops.”

Matthew Heller didn’t know what to think when he found his truck ransacked and torn apart after leaving a concert in Ybor in February. Then, he found a note.

“There’s a little note left on a 2x3 piece of paper,” said Heller.

View attachment 187
(Looks like a 6 year old wrote it)

The note read “Sir, your car was checked by TPD K-9. The vehicle was searched for marijuana due to a strong odor coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. Any questions call Cpl Fanning.”

TPD found no drugs in Heller’s truck. He was never charged or even questioned.

“It was all sealed up, a parked vehicle in a private parking lot for a hip hop concert in Ybor. There were all kinds of smells, everywhere around here,” said Heller.

Heller says he wasn’t upset about the fact that police searched his truck, but that they broke in and damaged his vehicle.

“Disgusted, I’ve got my whole life savings in this truck. It’s like a marketing tool for my business to promote the air horns and everything. The horns weren’t working, all the electronics were ripped out,” said Heller.

News Channel 8 reached out to TPD to ask about the search and we were told by email, "While the search is legal, it is not typical. The Tampa Police Department is now reviewing the specifics of this investigation."

Heller said he and his attorney have asked TPD for documentation of the search but he has not heard back. While TPD claims the search was legal, News Channel 8 asked independent attorney Bryant Camareno and he doesn’t agree.

“It’s an illegal search,” Camareno said. “Usually if it’s some kind of unoccupied vehicle there has to be some level of exigent circumstance to justify searching a vehicle without a search warrant. Exigent could mean if there is a dead body inside, if there is a screaming child locked in the car, a dog but if the car is unoccupied there is no exigency to justify the search.”

“I am out for the damages and my time but mostly I’m scratching my head and kind of confused with everything. I had no clue this was something that could happen,”said Heller. Heller is represented by Dominic Fariello.

Copyright 2014 WFLA. All rights reserved.
Well, it was in Ybor City...pretty much anything that happens there is understandable.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Teh bubble!
I've been arrested many times and only handled roughly once because I was drunk, belligerent and threatening.

Since I don't commit crimes anymore I haven't had any encounters with officers in over 20 years. Yeah, a few rude guys that pulled me over. There are rude people at the checkout line in the grocery store, so I guess that's just life.

jeebs

Brand New Member

Teh bubble!
Aren't you a cop?

Cotton

Staff member
I've been arrested many times and only handled roughly once because I was drunk, belligerent and threatening.

Since I don't commit crimes anymore I haven't had any encounters with officers in over 20 years. Yeah, a few rude guys that pulled me over. There are rude people at the checkout line in the grocery store, so I guess that's just life.
Victims don't use the phrase, "that's just life". Otherwise, they can't be a victim and that defeats their whole purpose in life.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's like the 3rd time I have beat you down with a point and you have ignored it.
:lol

What are you even talking about? The problem is you are making no point at all. I've never called the cops on someone for ringing a doorbell and I lived in St. Louis for over half a decade. I'm beginning to realize you may just be a bit of a pussy in real life and are scared of everything which is why you want the cops to take away everyone's rights in an attempt to control very few crimes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way the problem with the cameras at stop lights and the speeding cameras is that the video isn't really admissible in a court proceeding. At least not without a witness who can lay foundation for that video. That's why for example in Missouri where those cameras do exist the ticket is akin to a parking ticket and not something that goes on your driving record or criminal record.

So there would be some logistical problems with having all traffic offenses being controlled by cameras.

Top Bottom