Hypothetical Question: Post-Romo

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Let's assume that for a second, Romo for some reason can't continue past this season. Some big deal about his back etc.

We will be crippled by his contract, both due to the money but also there is no QB.

But football would have to go on.

Does anyone think they would actually bite the bullet and roll into a 2015 season with Brandon Weeden as the starting QB? Would Jones have the guts to draft a rookie and play them? Or would they go after a relatively young veteran washup and hope they could repair them?

I think we might go the young washout route.

There are a couple like Jake Locker and especially Christian Ponder who could shake loose in 2015.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he would go the veteran route.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The smart move would be to tank it and go hard after a franchise QB early in the draft.

But this organization treats high first round QBs like they are an infectious disease.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The smart move would be to tank it and go hard after a franchise QB early in the draft.

But this organization treats high first round QBs like they are an infectious disease.
They also lack the infrastructure to know what to do with one if they had one.

Garrett and Wade Wilson couldn't get the best out of Andrew Luck, let alone any of the QBs likely to be draft eligible next season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Maybe. But do we really know this to be fact, or is it just more vitriol? Yeah, we went through QB purgatory post Aikman. But is it a given we'd do it again? It was also said we'd never draft a first round Olineman. We now have 3 out of the last 4.

I could be wrong, but I think it's possible Jerry just might be listening to football people more. Maybe he's realizing his own mortality and coming to grips that he's getting older and his chance at another winner is slipping away with age. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but something has sure changed the FOs outlook recently. Starting with Tyron Smith.

EDIT: I'm not trying to suggest that Jerry has finally got it. He'll always be an idiot that has to take his gambles. I'm just talking about the possibility of him softening on the idea of finding a QB the right way, as opposed to his first foray into QB retardation.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wonder if we'd go with Weeden. Probably depends on who the coach would be at that point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wonder if we'd go with Weeden. Probably depends on who the coach would be at that point.
Well, I said it when we signed Weeden. That might be a little bit of enticement for the Walrus. I am sure it still stings that this was his guy who was a laughingstock and people hold it against him.

Genghis Khan

Maybe. But do we really know this to be fact, or is it just more vitriol? Yeah, we went through QB purgatory post Aikman. But is it a given we'd do it again? It was also said we'd never draft a first round Olineman. We now have 3 out of the last 4.

I could be wrong, but I think it's possible Jerry just might be listening to football people more. Maybe he's realizing his own mortality and coming to grips that he's getting older and his chance at another winner is slipping away with age. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but something has sure changed the FOs outlook recently. Starting with Tyron Smith.

EDIT: I'm not trying to suggest that Jerry has finally got it. He'll always be an idiot that has to take his gambles. I'm just talking about the possibility of him softening on the idea of finding a QB the right way, as opposed to his first foray into QB retardation.

I kind of think we'd take a QB top 5 in the draft under the right circumstances.

Truthfully, we haven't really been in those circumstances in a long time. Last time I can remember is when we took Newman. And it turns out we were absolutely right to pass on Leftwich.

Genghis Khan

Well, I said it when we signed Weeden. That might be a little bit of enticement for the Walrus. I am sure it still stings that this was his guy who was a laughingstock and people hold it against him.
:towel

Smitty

DCC 4Life

You never know until he proves you wrong, really, but it does seem like they've had zero interest in targeting QBs in the first over the years. Even the last couple as Romo has aged.

That's a different scenario than not actually having Romo around, of course, but I don't think that evaluation process is something you can switch like a lightswitch either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You never know until he proves you wrong, really, but it does seem like they've had zero interest in targeting QBs in the first over the years. Even the last couple as Romo has aged.

That's a different scenario than not actually having Romo around, of course, but I don't think that evaluation process is something you can switch like a lightswitch either.
He will not cheat on Romo by drafting someone unless it is clear, without question, that he can't play.

It is in his nature to hope. And if there is a glimmer of that with Romo, there won't be a QB in Dallas.

He was fairly horny for Manziel and what attention he would bring. If he avoided that, I don't expect him to get excited enough about anyone coming up next season.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think it depends on who is available, if its a sexy QB like the crab thief he jumps all over him if its a Bortles type he passes.

I think it also depends on where we are drafting.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He was fairly horny for Manziel and what attention he would bring. If he avoided that, I don't expect him to get excited enough about anyone coming up next season.
Was he? Or was that just what the media told us. He had some sound bites about Manziel, sure. But when has Jerry ever been shy to talk about anything when a mic is present and questions are thrown at him? Even with what he did say about Manziel, I don't think it ever looked like he was smitten with him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think it depends on who is available, if its a sexy QB like the crab thief he jumps all over him if its a Bortles type he passes.
They don't get much sexier than JFF. Former Heisman winner who the media was all over. A born and bred Texan that played college ball in Texas, and was a Cowboys fan? Yet we passed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They don't get much sexier than JFF. Former Heisman winner who the media was all over. A born and bred Texan that played college ball in Texas, and was a Cowboys fan? Yet we passed.
Umm what does that have to do with the topic of picking a post Romo QB?:shrug

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Was he? Or was that just what the media told us. He had some sound bites about Manziel, sure. But when has Jerry ever been shy to talk about anything when a mic is present and questions are thrown at him? Even with what he did say about Manziel, I don't think it ever looked like he was smitten with him.
Nah, there have been enough little soundbytes from Jerry that suggests that he really liked Manziel.

He doesn't talk about specific players very often, if you notice. He got his attention and for him to discuss him even after the draft, and do a 180 in the space of a couple of weeks when asked about him, yeah, he wanted him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Umm what does that have to do with the topic of picking a post Romo QB?:shrug
The question becomes will he have to have a rock star QB staring him in the face or will just a pretty decent prospect do?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What happened during the season in this hypothetical?

That plays a big part in what I think Jerry would do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There were reports that Jerry had to be talked out of Manziel leading up to our pick. So, yeah, he seemed to be thinking about it.

Top Bottom