Machota: Even after win, Marinelli angered by Dallas Cowboys defensive performance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Even after win, Rod Marinelli angered by Dallas Cowboys defensive performance

Jon Machota

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Make no mistake about it, Rod Marinelli wasn’t pleased with how the Dallas Cowboys defense played Sunday night at MetLife Stadium.

When a reporter asked the defensive coordinator about figuring out their first-half problems, Marinelli snapped back.

“I don’t know if we figured anything out,” he said. “It’s about us, just tackling and doing the things we’re supposed to do. There’s nothing else to figure out.”

When the reporter attempted a follow up question, Marinelli quickly responded: “I just explained it. What do you want me to do? What do you want me to say? I explained it. Next question.”

The Cowboys defense allowed 21 points, 15 first downs and 237 yards in the first half.

“I love winning,” Marinelli said. “But I’m about execution. … To me, it’s just mindset, getting ready to play and playing really hard.”

Cowboys safety Barry Church said he’s prepared for Marinelli to cuss out several of the team’s defenders when they go over film on Monday.

According to Church, missed tackles, miscommunication and not getting off the field on third down were all part of the problem.

“I’m like coach, we like to see the energy in guys’ eyes,” Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Mincey said. “In the beginning, we didn’t have it. We got in at halftime and made some adjustments, talked to each other, lifted each other up. We came back out like men and we went out swinging.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:towel

LOVE not being satisfied with a subpar performance, despite getting a win.

Big plus for marinelli.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think part of the rust probably has to do with the bye week and then playing the late game Sunday. With the way NFL teams are limited in practice it creates a long layover of playing not hitting and being hit. I think that's why you saw our guys come out soft in the first half.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This team isn't going anywhere with defensive performances like that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think part of the rust probably has to do with the bye week and then playing the late game Sunday. With the way NFL teams are limited in practice it creates a long layover of playing not hitting and being hit. I think that's why you saw our guys come out soft in the first half.
It was the scheme and alignments. They were in a pass defense scheme all the first half with zero effort to get to Manning. It was supposed to be a safe mode to allow all the backers and DB' s to chase receivers. They even let the super star have single coverage. They changed It at the half and doubled him as well as blitzing the QB. They will need to do the same thing with Philly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:towel

LOVE not being satisfied with a subpar performance, despite getting a win.

Big plus for marinelli.
Yes.

Think about Fat Wade after a win when the defense didn't perform.

Heh, heh...well, we got the W. Got some hurries.

~tugs arm hair~

The Church interception was a game changer.

~jiggles chin fat~

Or worse, Kiffin.

Well, youngster. We got the job done when it cuh...cuh..cuh....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes.

Think about Fat Wade after a win when the defense didn't perform.

Heh, heh...well, we got the W. Got some hurries.

~tugs arm hair~

The Church interception was a game changer.

~jiggles chin fat~

Or worse, Kiffin.

Well, youngster. We got the job done when it cuh...cuh..cuh....zzzzzzzzzzzzz
:lol

Nailed it.

Top Bottom