Archer: Cowboys know they have to raise bar

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys know they have to raise bar
November, 21, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jeremy Mincey was talking about himself and the pass rush when he mentioned a phrase that has come up across the Dallas Cowboys' locker room this week.

"I'm raising my bar and my standards these last six games because we're going to need it," Mincey said. "It's time to raise the bar, start putting quarterbacks on the ground and making the plays we know we can make and are capable of."

At 7-3, the Cowboys are in position to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009. In 2011 they were 7-4 after 11 games and lost three of their final four games. In 2012, they were 8-6 with two games to play and lost both. Last year they were 7-5 and lost three of their final four games.

They were unable to raise the bar.

"We set expectations for ourselves all along and they were pretty high," cornerback Brandon Carr said. "They've gotten higher as the season has progressed, but we feel like our work isn't done. We're just getting started. This is the meat of the season. November and December is the thick of your schedule as far as games and the competition. What we've done so far is great for the past, but we're taking it one at a time. Our ultimate goal is to make the big dance and to be playing some games when it really counts. It's fine for now, but we're not satisfied. We're not content with our record or our performance. It's time to turn it up a notch."

Mincey said the "raise the bar" message was not one Jason Garrett or the coaches had to deliver. The players simply know.

"Jason has always believed in us," tight end Jason Witten said. "He's pushed us. He's done a really good job of putting the team together; not only the best 53 but the right 53. Now we got to take care of our end."

vince

Not So New Member
Let's hope this happens. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time and I hope it changes things going into December.

Top Bottom