Archer: On Free Agent Row, Bruce Carter's future uncertain

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
On Free Agent Row, Bruce Carter's future uncertain
November, 19, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -– If you entered the Dallas Cowboys’ locker room and turned left, you would see Free Agent Row.

DeMarco Murray, Bruce Carter, Dez Bryant and Dwayne Harris are all free agents after the season.

“I don’t think we really talk about it, but I think it’s one of those things where it’s already understood,” Carter said. “Me, Dwayne and DeMarco, and you can even throw Dez in there, there’s a bunch of us who are in our last year –- in a contract year -– but for all of us, we’ve just got to go out there and play football. We really don’t want to think about any individual things like that right now. We just want to focus on the Giants.”

Bryant’s contract negotiations have received the most attention, especially recently with his high-profile move to Roc Nation. Murray’s talks have been a little slower and not as public. Harris is a restricted free agent after the season, so the Cowboys essentially control his fate for another season.

Carter is an unrestricted free agent but faces the most uncertain future. The Cowboys have other decisions to make at the spot, too, with Rolando McClain and Justin Durant set to be unrestricted free agents. The Cowboys will welcome back Sean Lee from a knee injury in 2015, setting up a game of musical chairs.

Carter has been up and down this season but has settled in as a strong-side linebacker. He is sixth on the defense with 39 tackles. With two interceptions, he is tied for the team lead with McClain. Carter has a sack, a tackle for loss, three quarterback pressures and five pass deflections.

“When my time is called for me to go out there and perform,” Carter said, “I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do to the best of my ability and when the season ends or however it ends, everything is just going to play itself out.”

Carter said he has not thought much about his future.

“I love it here,” Carter said. “It’s been a great organization, since Day 1 when I got the first call when I was getting drafted. So it’ll be a nice place to stay. But it is a business, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Carter is maddeningly inconsistent, but he has never pointed fingers, I really like his attitude.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Carter has had his chance...time to move on from him IMO. I am very comfortable with McClain, Lee, and Hitchens as the starters next year with a draft choice or low cost FA additions to fill out the LB corps.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Carter has had his chance...time to move on from him IMO. I am very comfortable with McClain, Lee, and Hitchens as the starters next year with a draft choice or low cost FA additions to fill out the LB corps.
Same. I'm tired of waiting on him to become suddenly consistent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice guy but I feel like it would be detrimental to the team to try and even keep him around as depth. When a guy is a starter for your team and a high draft pick, it's very difficult to then try and transition him to a position of being depth. Honestly I don't think he is better then Hitchens at this point and I think Hitchens has more upside as he is only a rookie. I appreciate that Carter loves it here but it's just time to move on.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unless he suddenly becomes Mr. Consistency for the rest of the season, it is a no brainer to move on from him.

Top Bottom