Browns waive Ben Tate

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cleveland Browns have waived running back Ben Tate, the team announced Tuesday.

Tate had just two carries for minus-9 yards in last weekend's loss after complaining earlier in the week about the number of carries he was getting in the Browns' three-running back rotation.

Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell have excelled in Cleveland's backfield this season, with coach Mike Pettine calling them more explosive Sunday.

Tate agreed to a two-year contract worth up to $7 million in the offseason after serving as Arian Foster's primary backup with the Houston Texans the four previous seasons.

He had six carries for 41 yards in his Cleveland debut, which was soured by a knee injury that forced him to miss nearly a month of action. He ended up playing eight games with 106 carries for 333 yards and four TDs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Last year, the Colts acquired Cleveland’s starting running back with a first-round pick. This year, Indy can get him for the standard waiver fee of $100.

The Browns have announced that they have cut running back Ben Tate.

“With all the transactions we make while constructing our roster, it will always be our intent to do what is best for our football team,” G.M. Ray Farmer said. “This move is no different and we wish Ben the best going forward.”

Well, this move is slightly different. Tate signed in March a contract that gave him $1.5 million to sign and a fully-guaranteed $1 million base salary for 2014. He’s now walking away with that money, after appearing in only eight games.

The move undoubtedly was motivated by Tate’s unhappiness with his role. Last week, he said that he didn’t sign up to be a member of the three-man weave at the running back position.

The former Texans tailback will now pass through waivers. The Colts, who could use a running back after Ahmad Bradshaw broke a leg bone on Sunday night, possibly will make a claim.

The Ravens could be interested, too, given that Tate played for offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak when Kubiak was the coach in Houston. Another one of Kubiak’s former Texans players, Justin Forsett, has had a career year with Kubiak in Baltimore.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Last night in my NFL.com league I submitted a waiver request to drop Ben Tate and add Blue from the Texans.

Now I think I'll hang on to Tate a little longer and see how this plays out. Colts and Broncos seem like the most likely landing spots.

I'll drop another under-performing player in favor of Blue.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
$634k if a team wants to claim him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Last night in my NFL.com league I submitted a waiver request to drop Ben Tate and add Blue from the Texans.

Now I think I'll hang on to Tate a little longer and see how this plays out. Colts and Broncos seem like the most likely landing spots.

I'll drop another under-performing player in favor of Blue.
The Ravens and Kubiak make sense as well. He'll have much more options than Blount.

Cotton

Staff member

D

Deuce

The Ravens and Kubiak make sense as well. He'll have much more options than Blount.
It would make sense from a familiarity standpoint, but they've done well with Forsett, Pierce and Taliaferro.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Some decent backup RBs getting cut. I wonder how committed we need to be to Randle/Dunbar.

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
Weird...they don't really have any shot at the playoffs this year, guess they might be looking ahead to next year without Peterson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Weird...they don't really have any shot at the playoffs this year, guess they might be looking ahead to next year without Peterson.
Weird also because Tate is at his best in a ZBS, the Vikings are man.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom