Explosions rock Boston Marathon; several injured

Carp

DCC 4Life
Right, probably just mark it down as vandalism.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
People are hung up on the word terrorism because to some it only means an attack by Islam.

Clearly this was "terrorism" but I don't know that it was an Islam thing as much as it was just two dopey kids desperate for destruction.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People are hung up on the word terrorism because to some it only means an attack by Islam.

Clearly this was "terrorism" but I don't know that it was an Islam thing as much as it was just two dopey kids desperate for destruction.
They were funded by a group from Iran. Not sure if that group was Muslim or not.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
My basic point was that I think you could call Sandy Hook and the theater shootings "terrorism."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Do you consider what Timothy McVeigh did an act of terrorism? I do. What about Ted Kaczynski? Again, I think what he did were acts of terrorism. Where either doing what they did for Islam?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My basic point was that I think you could call Sandy Hook and the theater shootings "terrorism."
I would agree with that. But, I think maybe it should be clearly defined as used in our judicial and law enforcement systems. Define it and then prosecute it as such.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would agree with that. The object was to spread fear and hurt as many as possible in a short time period. I'd call that terrorism.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't really care what term is used to label these bombings. Not sure what difference it makes.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I don't really care what term is used to label these bombings. Not sure what difference it makes.
It makes a huge difference to some people (not me.)

There were douche bags on Fox News bashing Obama because in his initial statement after the bombing, he didn't use the word "terrorism."

What a dumb shit society we live in where that is an actual concern.

Last edited:

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Do you consider what Timothy McVeigh did an act of terrorism? I do. What about Ted Kaczynski? Again, I think what he did were acts of terrorism. Where either doing what they did for Islam?
Yes and yes.

That's my point. It doesn't always have anything to do with Islam, but the term has been bastardized to mean just that to a lot of people.

The rebels in the civil war were considered terrorists at times, and I'm sure if you said "terrorist" back then the first thing most people thought of was a southern troop. Just like today, most people think "muslim" when they hear "terrorist."

Carp

DCC 4Life
I agree, to get hung up over what to call this, other than a crime is ridiculous. I'd call it a tragedy, but I don't even think you can call it that, because that would imply that it was almost an accident or something.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

It was an Islam thing....Not saying all or even most Muslims are radical but there is a sect of the that is and these guys, especially the older brother were radical Muslims and it was the primary factor in the bombing.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yes and yes.

That's my point. It doesn't always have anything to do with Islam, but the term has been bastardized to mean just that to a lot of people.
Only some people. When it's Muslims they are generally called Islamic terrorists. If the word terrorism is associated with Muslims it's only because they've helped earn that label.

Top Bottom