User Tag List

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 477

Thread: Religion thread...

  1. #21
    Senior Member E_D_Guapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,927
    I feel ya but you said it yourself: "I have questions that can't be answered by the bible or any other christian I have ever talked to, including my dad." None of those questions are going to be answered in this thread or anywhere else. It comes down to faith. You don't have it. I don't have it. The people that do have it believe with all their being. You and I don't buy what we consider to be a myth.

    It can be fun to discuss, I've just been over and over and over it since I was a young man. I'll chime in here and there in this thread if you really want to get it going but I'm going to try to pick and choose my spots. One thing I do want to say for clarity is that I am not an atheist. I think I am probably perceived that way and for good reason, but it's really not true. It's definitely true that I don't even remotely buy into any organized religion, but I don't know what else is out there and I'm comfortable with that.

    Anyway, I know that there are a lot of really smart people of faith. Many, many. That being the case, even though I don't understand how they buy into what seems like nonsense to me I can not be so arrogant to believe that they don't have good reason to believe and feel what they believe and feel. It is a struggle for me though because religion all seems so obviously contrived to me. But it works for a lot of people so good for them. I just get irritated when people insist that they "know" when the reality is that they "believe". They might believe so strongly that they think they know, but they don't (IMO, of course). They believe. And those are the types of discussions I can not be involved in because I tend to lose civility and that's what I'm trying to avoid.
    Last edited by E_D_Guapo; 12-06-2014 at 12:12 AM.

  2. The following user likes this post:


  3. #22
    Senior Member VA Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    You son of a beech!

    I can't think of any biblical reason against other possible life out there.

    Having said that, mr science man...why hasn't your fancy science people found the yet?
    C'mon man, they're looking!

  4. #23
    Amateur football god Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    45,517
    Quote Originally Posted by E_D_Guapo View Post
    I feel ya but you said it yourself: "I have questions that can't be answered by the bible or any other christian I have ever talked to, including my dad." None of those questions are going to be answered in this thread or anywhere else. It comes down to faith. You don't have it. I don't have it. The people that do have it believe with all their being. You and I don't buy what we consider to be a myth.

    It can be fun to discuss, I've just been over and over and over it since I was a young man. I'll chime in here and there in this thread if you really want to get it going but I'm going to try to pick and choose my spots. One thing I do want to say for clarity is that I am not an atheist. I think I am probably perceived that way and for good reason, but it's really not true. It's definitely true that I don't even remotely buy into any organized religion, but I don't know what else is out there and I'm comfortable with that.

    Anyway, I know that there are a lot of really smart people of faith. Many, many. That being the case, even though I don't understand how they buy into what seems like nonsense to me I can not be so arrogant to believe that they don't have good reason to believe and feel what they believe and feel. It is a struggle for me though because religion all seems so obviously contrived to me. But it works for a lot of people so good for them.
    Damn, post of the thread so far. Obviously, I agree with everything you are saying here, but I specifically want to point out that I am also not an atheist. I think they are lazy. It's really easy just to dismiss with your chin in the air and walk away arrogantly. I search daily for how I feel. I ask questions. I want to know just as bad as everyone does. Faith allows you to stop that hunt. I can't do that. The only thing I have faith in is the fact that I don't know the answers, and the related fact that no one else does either.

  5. #24
    Amateur football god Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    45,517
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Cowboy View Post
    C'mon man, they're looking!
    Now we're cooking. They are looking and haven't found anything yet. You think there is anything out there?

  6. #25
    Senior Member E_D_Guapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    I am also not an atheist. I think they are lazy.
    Lazy and arrogant. But they feel the same way about, say, fundamentalist Christians. Both sides are have a strong case in feeling that the other side is lazy and arrogant.

  7. #26
    Amateur football god Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    45,517
    Quote Originally Posted by E_D_Guapo View Post
    Lazy and arrogant. But they feel the same way about, say, fundamentalist Christians. Both sides are have a strong case in feeling that the other side is lazy and arrogant.
    Oh, no doubt. But, I actually have to side with christians over atheists over that point. At least christians study the bible and show some dedication to their belief. Atheists (generally) just discredit and move on with their life without any further work.

  8. #27
    Senior Member pdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16,774
    wut

    i'm starting the pitbull thread

  9. #28
    Amateur football god Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    45,517
    Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    wut

    i'm starting the pitbull thread
    Get it.

  10. #29
    El Presidente' skidadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,851
    Hopefully I can bring some compelling thoughts to the thread at some point. I've got a few things stirring that I will pounce on you guys ninja style when I get some time and concentration to lay it down. It should be epic in such a way that you will be instantly converted.

  11. #30
    Senior Member L.T. Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,736
    Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    wut

    i'm starting the pitbull thread
    The singer?
    Since Day One

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •