Official Manziel To Dallas? Griffin To Dallas? Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Which is why he won't work here in Dallas.

He needs to go somewhere where he is as anonymous as possible and can work on his craft, you'd think Cleveland would be the ideal place but apparently not. If he was in Dallas it would be 10X worse.
Not necessarily. The Rangers did it for Josh Hamilton and would have worked but his handler left for another job. You just have to find someone that can reach him and make sure he stays with him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I have to say I admire Manziel's work ethic.

It takes real hard work to try to orchestrate your way off a football team like this.

He is trying hard, battling every day, the right way, to be an ex-Brown.

And yet everything he does to make the Browns want to get rid of him is what makes Jerry want him. As long as he's on the first page of TMZ every week Jerry will be thrilled.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And yet everything he does to make the Browns want to get rid of him is what makes Jerry want him. As long as he's on the first page of TMZ every week Jerry will be thrilled.
What is screams relevance more than a celebrity backup QB?

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Don't like sticking up for him, but a lot of this is fabricated. It seems like he can't take a dump without it being noted.

He very well might be the spoiled little craphead he appears to be, but there is a lot of predation that is going on based on his every move. It's crazy.
the thing is that at the end of the day hes very young. he could very well wake up and realize he should taken certain things more seriously, but I think that day will come too late

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
hes a spoiled rich kid who will always act out
His parents were not "rich" in the sense they were multi millionaires. The were wealthy to the extent that they owned a retail business in east Texas. His life has been that of a spoiled kid who was given more than most as well as being brought up with a party environment. I have friends that know the family and they relate most of what I am aware.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't want any part of that worthless piece of shit.
He is already injured.

He is tiny and marginal-at-best talent wise and a dumpster fire off the field.

Jerry can hire him as a bartender to serve him Johnny Walker Blue label, for all I care, but please don't fuck up my football team any more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we do sign him, you can kiss away the hope that we draft a QB high.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowlishaw: Reasons why talk of Johnny Manziel joining Cowboys isn't foolish

By Tim Cowlishaw , Staff Columnist Contact Tim Cowlishaw on Twitter: @TimCowlishaw

The national media remembers Jerry Jones' comments about Johnny Manziel in 2014 -- and there were plenty of them -- and makes the easy guess that the next stop for the former Heisman winner is Dallas. There are ample reasons to think this is a bad idea for reasons on and off the football field.

But I think there's also some merit to it. And it would be foolish for anyone to rule it out.

We are all tempted by the bargain bin at the store, the discount rate that's too good to be true. Consider how Jones was tempted to select Manziel with the 15th pick in the 2014 draft before capitulating to the chorus of Zack Martin supporters (or Manziel detractors) in the room. Now look at the situation.

Manziel almost certainly will be made available by Cleveland although it won't happen until the organization finds a new general manager and head coach after cleaning house Sunday. That's the one thing the Browns do really well. Rearrange furniture. In fact, the last five coaching changes in the AFC North have been Browns' coaching changes.

The Cowboys under Jones are a model of stability by comparison. Regardless, Manziel's future in Cleveland seems non-existent and he isn't going to cost anyone a first-round pick.

Manziel did not attend the Browns' final regular season game. He didn't have to be on the sidelines because he had been ruled out with a concussion, but he was supposed to report to the trainers and medical staff. He did show up at the team's facility Monday.

It's just another in a long line of violations by Manziel that suggest either he has not matured in any way since leaving Texas A&M or he was desperate to get the heck out of Cleveland.

His off-the-field behavior is the opposite of what any team needs from its quarterback. If you assume I'm sympathetic towards Manziel, who spent 10 weeks in a rehab facility last spring, because of my own documented problems with alcohol, I am not. I feel empathy for those who definitively demonstrate they are trying everything they can do to recover.

Manziel has never even addressed his return to drinking since leaving rehab. Until he deals with it openly and honestly, why should any of us take him seriously?

This is one of the three issues for the Cowboys or any team considering giving him his second chance in the NFL. The other two, in their own way, are equally significant.

One, naturally, is his actual play. And that's where I start getting tempted. Given limited opportunities with a bad team missing its best receiver, Josh Gordon, Manziel's play improved dramatically in his second year. It's not like he removed all doubts. He simply reopened the discussion of whether the undersized, run-first Heisman winner can alter his style enough to succeed in the NFL.

Manziel was 2-4 in his six starts. If that's not great, the Browns were 1-9 the rest of the way. He threw for two touchdowns against Tennessee in one win, passed for 270 yards against San Francisco in another. In defeat against superior teams, Manziel threw for 372 yards against Pittsburgh and ran for 108 against Kansas City.

The idea that he simply cannot play in the NFL is dead. The question now is at what level and how often? As I said, he missed the Browns' finale due to a concussion. Given his nature for scrambling, there are almost certainly more concussions in his future. You have to think his avoidance of them will play a major role in how long he lasts in the NFL.

Would the Cowboys' future be better served by the club landing Cal's Jared Goff or Memphis' Paxton Lynch with the fourth pick in the draft? That's up to scouts, but let's assume the answer is yes.

That brings us back to the bargain bin. What if you can get Manziel another way -- he certainly won't cost a high draft pick at this point -- and land an impact defensive player to help the team immediately in 2016 when Tony Romo and Dez Bryant (presumably) are fully healthy? How much better is that than a quarterback you are hoping to sit?

And that's what brings me back to favoring the temptation Manziel represents.

It seems obvious he would prefer to play in Dallas. But would that allow Johnny Manziel, the person, to mature or would it send Johnny Football, the party animal, the opposite direction while simply making traffic on McKinney Ave. worse for the rest of us?

The Cowboys need to do more than an exhaustive film study on Manziel. They must determine if the person is ready to grow up and become more than a celebrity sighting at the blackjack table.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd consider him as long as we also draft a QB in the first and we don't have to trade for him.

Next year QB depth chart -- Romo, Manziel, Rookie

But I doubt Manziel wants to come here to compete with a top 5 pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If the intention is to keep Wade Wilson, I think trading for Manziel, signing Griffin or drafting a rookie is pointless.

Garrett sucks working with them, so it is not like he can help out. His big QB achievement in his career was making Joey Harrington suck a little less.

If they keep that worthless POS Wilson, then we have our answer that they are not even close to serious about the position.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Garrett posts another playoff winless season he'll be gone so the idea that we can't draft a QB high because Garrett and Wilson are here is retarded... and is mostly just looking for a platform to complain about him again.

Draft the elite QB and if the staff can't develop him, they'll get someone in here who will because the staff will be gone. Wilson has latched on to Romo maybe but Romo hasn't needed development to save everyone's jobs, if that's your preferred narrative.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Garrett posts another playoff winless season he'll be gone so the idea that we can't draft a QB high because Garrett and Wilson are here is retarded... and is mostly just looking for a platform to complain about him again.
The post was primarily about Wilson, not about your boyfriend, but I see you just can't resist. Garrett's worthlessness was not the point.

But if Wilson is here this year, he will ruin anyone we acquire, so best not to bother.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The post was primarily about Wilson, not about your boyfriend, but I see you just can't resist. Garrett's worthlessness was not the point.
I can't resist? You are the one who said "Garrett sucks working with them" so don't accuse me of bringing it up.

But if Wilson is here this year, he will ruin anyone we acquire, so best not to bother.
Yeah, that's dumb to me. So if they think a Philip Rivers is around we should pass because of Wade Wilson? That's just silliness.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Nevermind his immaturity, knuckleheadedness, and probable alcoholism, I'm not sure he can play at this level.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frank Pollack sucks.... Cross of taking an offensive lineman. Jerome Henderson and Matt Eberflus have underwhelmed.... Best not take a DB or LB either. And we all know Derrick Dookey has not progressed the WRs so forget that as well.

The TE coach seems decent and I guess the board still likes Marinelli so I guess our first round pick is either TE or DL.

I get it, we all hate Wilson and he basically has a job because he's close to Garrett and Jones, and it was great when Parcells ran him off the first time. But to say we shouldn't draft a QB cause he's here is way overboard.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't resist? You are the one who said "Garrett sucks working with them" so don't accuse me of bringing it up.

Yeah, that's dumb to me. So if they think a Philip Rivers is around we should pass because of Wade Wilson? That's just silliness.
It is am empirical fact Garrett has done zero in this league to develop QBs. Romo was a finished product by the time Lee and Parcells left. Just pointing out the fact he can't take over the slack.

And yes, if they retain Wilson, it makes little sense to grab a QB. That player will basically flounder as long as he is around. If they are serious about this, get a real QB coach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Firing position coaches right now is pointless. Even if they do, nobody worth a shit will be willing to come here and work under what will amount to a lame duck coach, knowing they'll be thrown out the door with him when the time comes.

And yeah, thinking we shouldn't draft a QB because Wilson is still here is stupid. Why draft anyone at all? Our coaches all suck, right?

Top Bottom