Lawrence: Daily Battles With Smith Will Eventually Pay Off

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By Nick Eatman | June 19, 2014, 20 Min Ago | Permalink

Law & Order
Drafted in the second round in May. Now officially signed as a Cowboys in mid-June, DeMarcus Lawrence said 100 percent of his focus now is on the field.

ARLINGTON, Texas – Ever since the Cowboys drafted him in the second round of the NFL Draft back in early May, DeMarcus Lawrence said being an NFL player wasn’t exactly “official.”

Despite being a second-round pick (34thoverall) and participating in rookie minicamps, OTA practices and even part of a full-team minicamp, the missing piece was signing the dotted line to his contract.

Lawrence was able to complete that process on Wednesday, which is seemingly the final step to reality.

“It feels official now. It’s real,” Lawrence said this week, just minutes after he signed his four-year contract worth about $5.5 million. “I’m not saying I was ever really worried about. That’s something I let my agent control. But until you sign and officially become a Dallas Cowboy … I’m just excited to get that out of the way and now it’s all about football.”

If there was the slightest bit of the distraction for Lawrence this offseason, that has to be a good sign for the Cowboys, who seem more than pleased with the rookie’s progress. Although the pads have to come on, Lawrence has been highly competitive in practice, especially in the one-on-one battles with Tyron Smith, a Pro Bowler who is now considered one of the best left tackles in the league.

“I think that’s really helped me. He’s a great player,” Lawrence said of Smith. “Things that worked in college don’t always work here. Guys like him have seen everything when it comes to moves. So you have to work harder to be better. I think I’ve done a good job with that.

“He might win some of them. I might win some, too. But overall, I think it’s going to be a good thing to face him every day.”

According to his position coach, Lawrence already has a trait most pass-rushers can’t lean on so early in their careers.

“This kid has some strength to him,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “He’s a lot stronger than I thought he was. He’s got some power moves that he uses to his advantage. You don’t always see that from young guys. They have to get in (the weight room) and eventually it’s something they can add to their game. But he’s got that power right now. I think that’s going to help him this year.”

Helping out this year is a downright must for Lawrence, whom the Cowboys made sure didn’t get past them in the draft. That’s why they used a third-round pick to move up from No. 47 to 34 to draft the Boise State standout, who they had rated as the third-best pass-rusher in the draft. Add that to the fact the Cowboys desperately need to improve the pass-rush with DeMarcus Ware now gone, and Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff gone from the middle.

So does Lawrence feel the pressure?

“I don’t think like that,” he said. “I’m just here to play ball. I put a lot of pressure on myself anyway. I want to come in here and contribute and be a playmaker. So I already have those expectations.”

While the Cowboys have yet to announce a depth chart, Lawrence has been working mostly with the second-team defense in the team drills. Tyrone Crawford and Jeremy Mincey have been the outside rushers, however Lawrence gets more reps in the first-team nickel defense. Whether or not he starts, Lawrence will definitely have a spot in the rotation that will likely consist of eight or nine linemen.

“I just want to get better right now,” Lawrence said. “I don’t focus on (starting) or playing time. I just get out there and try to do my job. I think it’ll all work out. I’m just concentrated on getting better and that’s it.”

Especially now that he’s an “official” member of the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strength? Impossible, I was told he was purely a soft speed rusher...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This guy might be worth 5.5 over 4 years. Let's leave it at that.

So when will Dallas find it's real premiere pass rusher?

Because it isn't this m'fer.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

You must watch a shitload of Boise State Football.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You must watch a shitload of Boise State Football.
I don't believe in full time 250 pound DE's. They are at best situational pass rushers in a 4-3 or 3-4 WOLB's.

The Seahawks already converted Irvin to LB where he's nicely disappeared. Thanks to their depth, a sub-par 1st round pick is a non-story. Dallas actually needed their high pick to start.

I expect Lawrence's "battles" with Smith will be highly frustrating for him and a light workout for Tyron. He is Mike Mamula.

Jon88

Banned

I'll take a solid pass rusher who is also a good leader.

We had a premier one in Ware but he couldn't lead a horse to water.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't believe in full time 250 pound DE's. They are at best situational pass rushers in a 4-3 or 3-4 WOLB's.

The Seahawks already converted Irvin to LB where he's nicely disappeared. Thanks to their depth, a sub-par 1st round pick is a non-story. Dallas actually needed their high pick to start.

I expect Lawrence's "battles" with Smith will be highly frustrating for him and a light workout for Tyron. He is Mike Mamula.
I don't think it's set in stone that his frame is maxed out. Irvin was not included in the Seahawks plans after popping + for PEDs.

Mike Mamula? Really? After you chide people for bringing up Brady's draft you're going for a workout warrior that was drafted 7th overall in 1995?

Pull the emergency cord on the hyperbole train.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

250 lb DE's like Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons?

Just admit you don't like Lawrence because you want some 270 lb behemoth elite edge rusher which is one of the rarest commodities in football.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
250 lb DE's like Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons?

Just admit you don't like Lawrence because you want some 270 lb behemoth elite edge rusher which is one of the rarest commodities in football.
Avril is at least 260 and even Clemons is 255. Clemons was undrafted and Avril was a 3rd round pick.

Lawrence is 250 soaking wet and cost 2nd and 3rd round picks. That doesn't compute. At all. He is the right height, but absolutely needs to be tougher.

I want my starting edge rusher to be a solid 265 pounds and the strong side DE around 280. That's the right combination of speed and power.

If they are lighter, then you have to employ a rotation. That's fine too, but this team can't draft well enough to stock a proper rotation.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Avril is at least 260 and even Clemons is 255. Clemons was undrafted and Avril was a 3rd round pick.

Lawrence is 250 soaking wet and cost 2nd and 3rd round picks. That doesn't compute. At all. He is the right height, but absolutely needs to be tougher.

I want my starting edge rusher to be a solid 265 pounds and the strong side DE around 280. That's the right combination of speed and power.

If they are lighter, then you have to employ a rotation. That's fine too, but this team can't draft well enough to stock a proper rotation.
How heavy were those guys when drafted? Are you really that sure Lawrence's frame is maxed out? Justin Tuck came out at 260 and ended up playing at 275+.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How heavy were those guys when drafted? Are you really that sure Lawrence's frame is maxed out? Justin Tuck came out at 260 and ended up playing at 275+.
Avril and Clemons didn't cost their teams 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Let's hope Lawrence's frame can put on more muscle, like Tuck (though Tuck started 10 pounds heavier). I'm inclined to believe it can, though that can wreck a guy who's game is based on quickness.

I have a feeling we've got a real tweener who will struggle on the line and in coverage to the point he doesn't really belong anywhere. He lacks measurables which is a major red flag for a "first round talent".

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ravid, you're a pretty solid poster but you are completely full of it in this instance because you're blinded by your hatred for Lawrence for no apparent reason other than his size. First you say he's Mike Mamula, a guy who is the stereotypical workout warrior who rises too high, then you say Lawrence lacks the measureables that 1st round talents usually have.

Avril was 253 when he came out, Terrell Suggs, Freeney and Robert Mathis all played their entire careers at 250-260, Osi Umenyiora also played around 260-265.

I generally agree that I'd rather have bigger DE's but Marinelli's scheme generally calls for a weakside pass-rusher that is usually around 260, you can argue that you disagree with that but that's the situation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lawrence is a late riser, ala Mamula, and Mamula also lacked size despite being 6'4". The Eagles traded up to get him and put him on a 4-3 DL where he eventually was overwhelmed. As a high pick, he had to play a high percentage of snaps which made it worse.

The same is going to happen to Lawrence who is of similar build. Jerry isn't going to let him play in a rotation for long. His contract and draft status are going to force a ton of snaps. If Jason Garrett does one thing worth a shit, it will be backing fewer snaps for Lawrence.

Suggs - played as a LB for almost his entire career and that behind a stout and productive DL. He was an elite prospect, not a projection by any stretch. Even still he was about 260 at ASU.

Freeney - Came out of college at 266, has maintained that weight, and has always been stocky. That low center has served him well. Again, he was an elite prospect. A 15 pound difference is major.

Avril - was similarly small like Lawrence, and was drafted in the 3rd round. Dallas paid more than double that cost!

Mathis - he was very productive in college, almost insanely so for such a small player. He's a once in a generational freak who manages to play bigger. He was also taken in the 5th round

Bruce Irvin is a perfect example. Overwhelmed as a full time guy and now a LB who is not the backbone of the defense he was drafted to become.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Lawrence is a late riser, ala Mamula, and Mamula also lacked size despite being 6'4". The Eagles traded up to get him and put him on a 4-3 DL where he eventually was overwhelmed. As a high pick, he had to play a high percentage of snaps which made it worse.

The same is going to happen to Lawrence who is of similar build. Jerry isn't going to let him play in a rotation for long. His contract and draft status are going to force a ton of snaps. If Jason Garrett does one thing worth a shit, it will be backing fewer snaps for Lawrence.

Suggs - played as a LB for almost his entire career and that behind a stout and productive DL. He was an elite prospect, not a projection by any stretch. Even still he was about 260 at ASU.

Freeney - Came out of college at 266, has maintained that weight, and has always been stocky. That low center has served him well. Again, he was an elite prospect. A 15 pound difference is major.

Avril - was similarly small like Lawrence, and was drafted in the 3rd round. Dallas paid more than double that cost!

Mathis - he was very productive in college, almost insanely so for such a small player. He's a once in a generational freak who manages to play bigger. He was also taken in the 5th round

Bruce Irvin is a perfect example. Overwhelmed as a full time guy and now a LB who is not the backbone of the defense he was drafted to become.
Come on, he's not making crazy money. Wasn't it 4 years, 5 million?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And it's not 1995. How does he compare to Tody Smith while we're at it?
The game is not that different. Running backs committees, pass-happy teams, 3-4 defenses-- all those things were present in the league in 1995, they are just more prevalent now. The main change in the league the last 50 years are the standards for OL size that changed in the late 80's. OL in 1995 weighed about the same as today.

Since the 80's, great pass rushing DE weighed about 265 pounds. Same as today. Dexter Manley, Tony Brackens, Dwight Freeney-- decades apart they all weighed the same. There are heavier guys of course, but lighter ones are extremely rare. Even Kiffen's own stud Simeon Rice weighed 268.

Almost no legit "first round DE" prospect weighs 250.

Anyway, the whole point was Mamula, who is of similar stature, came out of nowhere just like Lawrence and was a reach based on need made by an average-quality front office driven to win now. Ray Rhodes had too much sway in Philly and squandered the extra draft picks from the White and Simmons free agency compensation and Jerry is Jerry.

In each case standard measurables like f'ing size were ignored in favor of finding anyone who could rush the passer, no matter what.

Lawrence was drafted where he was because of the teams' demand, not merit, and unless the team gets really lucky it will show on the field. Homers will cite all kinds of stats claiming he's "almost" getting pressure, but by week 12 it will be clear we probably drafted a project.

Top Bottom